private property detecting

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
dholland02 said:
What really is the point of MD if your out there to just give it all away. Why not go to work and tell your boss you'll work for free and maybe some OT for no charge.

Who would agree to give it all away? Who said that?

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that's what some peolpe are makin it seem like they would do if the land says they want it

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've already stated my opinion on how I do I dnt give anything back to the land owners what find is mine

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
dholland02 said:
I've already stated my opinion on how I do I dnt give anything back to the land owners what find is mine

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What world do you live in guy? Fantasy world? I would like to think that most people are honest in my little part of this "fantasy world" but you know what? they are not ,,, i.e. oh i am so happy you found that valuable item "you just keep it" that (ain't going to happen) guy. and like i said in my previous post i let the landowner know (upfront) that i keep my finds, and i have no reason to detect private property where i know i can't keep my finds. And any metal detector hobbyist who says they want to give their finds to anyone (landowner) in my opinion is a (not being honest person) to put it softly.

While I may not agree with everything Crusader says, YOU are acting as though anyone who doesn't agree with YOU is wrong. Sure I keep most of my finds. But I have also offered some to the landowner and seldom do they take it. Two days ago I was detecting a private yard and my last signal was a heavy religious medal. It had a little bit of a yellowish tint and was heavy for its size but was still pretty dirty. I took it up to the house and handed it to the lady there and asked if she recognized it. She was amazed that it would have come out of her yard and showed her husband but then handed it back and said she didn't recall ever losing it. I took it home, cleaned it up, and no it wasn't gold but the lady didn't know that when she handed it back to me. So yes, they do sometimes say "you just keep it".

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
My personal opinion is that once I get permission to hunt on private property, I keep what I find. I'm not going to do all the work and then fork over my finds to the owner. If the landowner wants all the finds I wouldn't detect it at all. I would happily search for a specific item for someone though such as a class/wedding ring or something like that.

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mariposa Gold-"wow, the intensity of this discussion just blows me away."

I totally agree. There have been a few theads lately (one from me) that have touched on either permission to hunt a site or returning/giving the landowner a "cut" and I am amazed at how many people are willing to hunt without permission or find nothing wrong with deceptively pocketing a "good" find. I am also amazed at how nasty people who are willing to do this become when their ethics are questioned. For someone to get so angry tells me that they are not quite as comfortable with their ethical decisions as they let on. I am the first to admit that I am not perfect-NO one but Jesus was, but come on folks, most of this is stuff we all should learned in kindergarten......

There are a lot of opinions on here and some enter into gray areas-I'm mostly ok with that if the area is truly gray, but we all have our own opinions on what gray is! : ) Like what if you get permission to hunt a yard and neither you or the owner mention what will happen to the finds-should you keep them or show them? In this case I am ok with just keeping, but if the homeowner displays any sort of interest or if their kids were hanging around, it would be a completely different story.

Thank God it appears that most of us on TN are trying to walk a straight path when it comes to our hobby-may your good deeds be rewarded eventually!

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AR, No, it's not that I expect to find anything what so ever. The offer is there to appeal to their greedy instincts, but I make it very clear that the likelihood of finding something of great monetary value is somewhere between slime and none. I also show them my finds. If I find $30.00 in Silver on their property, why would it bother me to give them $15.00? Seriously, that person would no doubt let me back on their property. And the valueless relics, all mine. Maybe I'm just talking out my rumpside since I have not found anything of Great Value on private property. Maybe when I do, my opinion might change. Afterall, I am fairly new at the hobby at this level (hunting nearly daily).

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, this kind of debate is not necessarily good when Joe/Jane Public reads it and someone knocks on the door for permission. And T.V. shows and the internet give the public their impression on such things. This is why I have stuck to asking permission among my network on contact through business and friends. That pre-existing relationship makes it more fun to hunt and to share finds. I almost dropped dead when one of my clients pointed out a house he owns that I was dying to hunt. And as I stated in my previous post, I have more spaces to hunt than time to hunt. If I hunted all my private and public areas all day every Weekend, It would last me more than six months. I don't hunt that much, my wife would toss me out on the streets. Though she loves the rings I bring her, I still have to spend time with her. Family is still more important than finds. Narrowly. :-)

Mariposa Gold-"wow, the intensity of this discussion just blows me away."

I totally agree. There have been a few theads lately (one from me) that have touched on either permission to hunt a site or returning/giving the landowner a "cut" and I am amazed at how many people are willing to hunt without permission or find nothing wrong with deceptively pocketing a "good" find. I am also amazed at how nasty people who are willing to do this become when their ethics are questioned. For someone to get so angry tells me that they are not quite as comfortable with their ethical decisions as they let on. I am the first to admit that I am not perfect-NO one but Jesus was, but come on folks, most of this is stuff we all should learned in kindergarten......

There are a lot of opinions on here and some enter into gray areas-I'm mostly ok with that if the area is truly gray, but we all have our own opinions on what gray is! : ) Like what if you get permission to hunt a yard and neither you or the owner mention what will happen to the finds-should you keep them or show them? In this case I am ok with just keeping, but if the homeowner displays any sort of interest or if their kids were hanging around, it would be a completely different story.

Thank God it appears that most of us on TN are trying to walk a straight path when it comes to our hobby-may your good deeds be rewarded eventually!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
those that dont ask are the ones that are ruining it for every body and will be the demise of the hobby...bottom line.I have urged for stiffer penalties against those that are caught and will turn you in,in a heart beat.I put a lot of time into research and ground work to get permission.Sometimes it is refused,yes,but more often than not it is because of somebody that has just went,and ticked the property owner off.I have also lost permission because of these bottom feeders.I do share what I have found with the land owners.I have nothing to hide.If it wasnt for them the item would not be there anyway...in essence they have protected it for all these years and it is likely some attachment to there family.If there is something they want,its theres!Why should they let you dig their property?Whats in it for them?

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
I would like to point out that this thread was started by a 13 year old who is new to the hobby. What kind of example does all of this bickering and name calling set for the future of the hobby that we all love and enjoy. Even if you don't have an ethical bone in your body why don't you just pretend so that young, ambitious, new detectorists like Plug Cutter can have something to respect and be proud to be a part of. It is clear that there will never be universal agreement about this subject among metal detectorists so why not just take the high road and avoid these kind of threads that just make our community look bad.

TENNESSEEGAL

Aug 20, 2005
Oak Ridge, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Minelab Excalabur 11
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have mostly stuck to parks and neighbors yards. But on the few occasions I have gotten the nerve to approach a home owner that I don't know after getting permission I ask if there is anything they have lost that they'd like returned. This opens the door for discussion of what they expect out of the deal.
When asking one lady if I could search her yard she laughed and asked What if I found something. I told her if I found anything she would like to keep she was welcome to it. She and her daughter followed me around and were very interested in the whole process. I found a few wheats and and old tootsie toy car that she showed her son and gave back to me. He daughter had lost a ring in the back yard and I offered to look for it. I was getting late so left incase I was keeping them from anything. I will probably go back some day soon when it cools off and ask if she'd like me to search for the ring.

TENNESSEEGAL

Aug 20, 2005
Oak Ridge, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Minelab Excalabur 11
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
screwynewy said:
I would like to point out that this thread was started by a 13 year old who is new to the hobby. What kind of example does all of this bickering and name calling set for the future of the hobby that we all love and enjoy. Even if you don't have an ethical bone in your body why don't you just pretend so that young, ambitious, new detectorists like Plug Cutter can have something to respect and be proud to be a part of. It is clear that there will never be universal agreement about this subject among metal detectorists so why not just take the high road and avoid these kind of threads that just make our community look bad.

Well said!

OP
OP
P

Plug cutter

Aug 1, 2012
Nashville TN
Detector(s) used
Garret At Pro, Pro pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't mean to start an argumeant i was just wondering what to do. i think what ill do is tell them my name and that i love to detect and then ask if i can detect the parking lot. ill also include that i pick up all trash, show them everything i find (which i will) , and that i don't leave holes. Then ask if they need help finding any jewelry or any thing.

Last edited:

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't mean to start an argumeant i was just wondering what to do. i think what ill do is tell them my name and that i love to detect and then ask if i can detect the parking lot. ill also include that i pick up all trash, show them everything i find (which i will) , and that i don't leave holes. Then ask if they need help finding any jewelry or any thing.

Good for you, Plug Cutter! Don't worry-you didn't start the argument-it has been here long before you came and I suspect will continue for quite awhile : )

Best of luck to you!

OP
OP
P

Plug cutter

Aug 1, 2012
Nashville TN
Detector(s) used
Garret At Pro, Pro pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted most of these before I knew how to use this site.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trust me,more doors will open for you asking then will ever,not asking.Good and bad word travels,and both have long lasting effects....remember that.If you help the right person,you may never have to ask permission again....I have personally seen that happen

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is killing me.......Don't hide anything.......and don't make a big deal of it. People know you are asking to hunt because you want what you find. If you immediatly ask if they want your finds human nature will kick in and make them say sure. If you then sneak it out, you are plain and simply not being honest or ethical. Many if not most folks think if you can find some old coins etc. more power too ya. They certainly have the right to say no and I respect that. May just be my part of the country but the majority of the people just don't care as long as you ask permission. They are not expecting anything and are usually very happy when I do choose to share. I then ask about other places ( friends and family etc ) that may have property I can hunt and frequently have had them call for me. The concept of sneaking something out makes it seem like you are doing something wrong and you are not if you ask permission before you started. I do not ask for problems by showing them a good find I just pulled out and asking if I can keep it. They already gave permission to do so when I first asked to hunt. When they gave me the ok common sense dictates that I may dig something of some real value but it is not likely. Most of our finds are not really worth a great deal monitarily but have historical signifigance to us. Granted jewelry and a few key coins can sure be an exception but how many yards do you hit for each gold item you find. When you find it on a public beach etc it is yours. And once again I will state if you can return something like a class ring I think its a good idea but according to the ethics etc involving salvage you don't have to and I don't look down on a person who hunts for jewelry and keeps it all or sells for salvage. Some of our members are good enough to actually make a living at it. If you look at the time, gas money, batteries and the cost of the detector you are not really making much if any financial gain for the most part. I know there are a few exceptions for those who are really at the top of their game, but not for most of us including me. Heck....ask.....dig.....have fun. Why complicate things. Just my 2 cents ( dug the 2 cents with permission ):laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread