private property detecting

tesorobandit

May 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
tesoro vaquero, bandidoII Umax, garrett 250, ETG ( eyes to the ground)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and here we have a lesson for you plug cutter-along with a lifetime of metal detecting skills you will always have to hone your people skills. I'm sure the better you are at communicating your enthusiasm for this hobby the better you will get at asking permission from strangers. You will not always get the answer you want, but you will have something to grow on. You gotta get in the yard before you can get in the ground;be open honest and smile. Set ground rules for your requests. Don't offer too much. Offer a cut on stuff like gold or super valuables-heck you are not going to get rich doing this anyway. You don't need to show all of what you have found, but do satisfy their curiosity.
I have three detectors, and I have found different items at different times searching and over searching the same ground. I guarantee you will want to revisit some places once you upgrade your MD. you are going want to be on good terms with past and future property owners-especially if you are young!

This is killing me.......Don't hide anything.......and don't make a big deal of it. People know you are asking to hunt because you want what you find. If you immediatly ask if they want your finds human nature will kick in and make them say sure. If you then sneak it out, you are plain and simply not being honest or ethical. Many if not most folks think if you can find some old coins etc. more power too ya. They certainly have the right to say no and I respect that. May just be my part of the country but the majority of the people just don't care as long as you ask permission. They are not expecting anything and are usually very happy when I do choose to share. I then ask about other places ( friends and family etc ) that may have property I can hunt and frequently have had them call for me. The concept of sneaking something out makes it seem like you are doing something wrong and you are not if you ask permission before you started. I do not ask for problems by showing them a good find I just pulled out and asking if I can keep it. They already gave permission to do so when I first asked to hunt. When they gave me the ok common sense dictates that I may dig something of some real value but it is not likely. Most of our finds are not really worth a great deal monitarily but have historical signifigance to us. Granted jewelry and a few key coins can sure be an exception but how many yards do you hit for each gold item you find. When you find it on a public beach etc it is yours. And once again I will state if you can return something like a class ring I think its a good idea but according to the ethics etc involving salvage you don't have to and I don't look down on a person who hunts for jewelry and keeps it all or sells for salvage. Some of our members are good enough to actually make a living at it. If you look at the time, gas money, batteries and the cost of the detector you are not really making much if any financial gain for the most part. I know there are a few exceptions for those who are really at the top of their game, but not for most of us including me. Heck....ask.....dig.....have fun. Why complicate things. Just my 2 cents ( dug the 2 cents with permission ):laughing7:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I said in my recent article for Western and Eastern Treasures Magazine, "the property owner must perceive you as honest, respectful, and calm." I believe in it, and it has opened doors for me to hunt fantastic, historical properties that no one has every been given permission for before. Giving to owners, donating to museums, it all helps our hobby--and in the long run, it helps us as well. In my experience, it is the folks that have found very little, and will continue to find very little, who have so much trouble being honest with a property owner or sharing their finds. I remember how I felt when I gave my first IH cents away, and I think a Barber dime too...I regretted it for a few days--but then the permissions started rolling in, and I started being asked to help folks find tools they'd lost, jewelry, and tractor parts. To be honest, looking at my display cases now after 20 years, I don't miss those little finds one bit. I've had owners offer me hundreds for sentimental rings I've returned, and stood there and been tempted with them flashing the bills in their wallet out of sheer gratitude--and I've turned them down on rewards every time. I have dug--and seen dug--some of the best items this hobby has to offer, and that is the biggest prize, so much bigger than a few bills--no matter what president was on the front of them.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Last edited:

attempted recovery

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Warning on name calling.....Do not attack members here...

i completely understand about name calling, i apologize to t-net about my angry words. normally that is not my personality, but sometimes people poke you to overreact, again my apologizies.

attempted recovery

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is killing me.......Don't hide anything.......and don't make a big deal of it. People know you are asking to hunt because you want what you find. If you immediatly ask if they want your finds human nature will kick in and make them say sure. If you then sneak it out, you are plain and simply not being honest or ethical. Many if not most folks think if you can find some old coins etc. more power too ya. They certainly have the right to say no and I respect that. May just be my part of the country but the majority of the people just don't care as long as you ask permission. They are not expecting anything and are usually very happy when I do choose to share. I then ask about other places ( friends and family etc ) that may have property I can hunt and frequently have had them call for me. The concept of sneaking something out makes it seem like you are doing something wrong and you are not if you ask permission before you started. I do not ask for problems by showing them a good find I just pulled out and asking if I can keep it. They already gave permission to do so when I first asked to hunt. When they gave me the ok common sense dictates that I may dig something of some real value but it is not likely. Most of our finds are not really worth a great deal monitarily but have historical signifigance to us. Granted jewelry and a few key coins can sure be an exception but how many yards do you hit for each gold item you find. When you find it on a public beach etc it is yours. And once again I will state if you can return something like a class ring I think its a good idea but according to the ethics etc involving salvage you don't have to and I don't look down on a person who hunts for jewelry and keeps it all or sells for salvage. Some of our members are good enough to actually make a living at it. If you look at the time, gas money, batteries and the cost of the detector you are not really making much if any financial gain for the most part. I know there are a few exceptions for those who are really at the top of their game, but not for most of us including me. Heck....ask.....dig.....have fun. Why complicate things. Just my 2 cents ( dug the 2 cents with permission ):laughing7:

amen and amen, tnguns. That is as well said as anyone can say it, i don't hide anything " i have never detected any private property without asking permission first, and i have sat many times with the landowner and showed them what i found "a large percentage of stuff that was just junk" ( the landowners i didn't show the finds to was either not at home when i left their property or they did not live there) , but with that said i always asked the landowner beforehand to detect and let them know i keep my finds unless they want me to look for something particular to them.

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
I didn't mean to start an argumeant i was just wondering what to do. i think what ill do is tell them my name and that i love to detect and then ask if i can detect the parking lot. ill also include that i pick up all trash, show them everything i find (which i will) , and that i don't leave holes. Then ask if they need help finding any jewelry or any thing.
Thats the spirit............dont listen to the greedy people. Do the RIGHT thing and it will come back to reward you ten fold. Best of luck.

ppratt

Jun 19, 2003
South western PA
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Keep it. You have permission to hunt it's not stealing if you get permission. Most of the time the LO will let you know if they lost a ring or something worth value. They tend not forget such things. Thats when you you return them. If you do return them don't expect a big thank you or anything at for that matter. Have yet found a grateful owner. I even found a bracelet that was owned by a wife of a close family friend that just past away. He opened the door and said MMMM and slammed the door in my face. The biggest thanks I get when some ask me to find there keys.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
ppratt said:
Keep it. You have permission to hunt it's not stealing if you get permission. Most of the time the LO will let you know if they lost a ring or something worth value. They tend not forget such things. Thats when you you return them. If you do return them don't expect a big thank you or anything at for that matter. Have yet found a grateful owner. I even found a bracelet that was owned by a wife of a close family friend that just past away. He opened the door and said MMMM and slammed the door in my face. The biggest thanks I get when some ask me to find there keys.

How did you know the history of the bracelet?

ppratt

Jun 19, 2003
South western PA
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
How did you know the history of the bracelet?

Small town and had her nick name on it. I didn't know what i had until my mother was showing my finds to one of her friends, and asked me why havent I returned it? I told her good luck on finding the owner because it was old and didn't have a real name on it. She said this is Gary's wife Peggy. So it happens that I drive by his house every day so i stopped the next day to return it. I found it about 3 miles away in a old park.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
ppratt said:
Small town and had her nick name on it. I didn't know what i had until my mother was showing my finds to one of her friends, and asked me why havent I returned it? I told her good luck on finding the owner because it was old and didn't have a real name on it. She said this is Gary's wife Peggy. So it happens that I drive by his house every day so i stopped the next day to return it. I found it about 3 miles away in a old park.

Man that was messed up. Makes you not want to repeat you kindness.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just thought I should elaborate on my last statement.......A veteran detectorist in my area years ago received permission,on a piece of property that the land owners had shut down because of bad past experiences with inconsiderate detecting and trespassers.He was able to gain a few hours on the place through many hours of getting to know the folks and helping out around the ranch.
Would you beleive the third hole he dug contained 6 $20 gold coins?Well it did,and he gave one to each of the five family members.......now....this family happened to own a couple hundred acres,that he has since had exclusive rights on...........and was well connected to MANY more of the local Ranches.Word traveled fast what an honest guy he was and you know what?That was in the late '80's and he has not had to ask permission on another property since.People were calling him,and he has had more prime ground to hunt then he could ever hunt in a lifetime

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
kuger said:
Just thought I should elaborate on my last statement.......A veteran detectorist in my area years ago received permission,on a piece of property that the land owners had shut down because of bad past experiences with inconsiderate detecting and trespassers.He was able to gain a few hours on the place through many hours of getting to know the folks and helping out around the ranch.
Would you beleive the third hole he dug contained 6 $20 gold coins?Well it did,and he gave one to each of the five family members.......now....this family happened to own a couple hundred acres,that he has since had exclusive rights on...........and was well connected to MANY more of the local Ranches.Word traveled fast what an honest guy he was and you know what?That was in the late '80's and he has not had to ask permission on another property since.People were calling him,and he has had more prime ground to hunt then he could ever hunt in a lifetime

Well looks like you get what you pay for. Good karma.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

...............I took a guy to hunt my families place when I first got started and he dug my great grandfathers Marksmanship medal from WW1........and wouldnt sell or give it to me....have to tel ya,took great restraint to not bust his nose and needless to say,never took him to another spot

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is so similar to our story & why I rave to others about honest behaviour. But to be honest, if fools want to leave mess on their own doorstep, one day they will tread in it. Plus it makes it easier for people like us, owners see the bad one's, hear about us & before you know it you have land coming out your ear holes.

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...............I took a guy to hunt my families place when I first got started and he dug my great grandfathers Marksmanship medal from WW1........and wouldnt sell or give it to me....have to tel ya,took great restraint to not bust his nose and needless to say,never took him to another spot

Now that is just sick. I've always wanted to return objects like that, specially something as important a Family History as that. I would research away until I did, he had to do no research, no brainer for me. It would be yours in a flash, would I ask money, would I hell!

Last edited:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is just sick. I've always wanted to return objects like that specially something as important a Family History as that. I would research away until I did, he had to do no research, no brainer for me. It would be yours in a flash, would I ask money, would I hell!

Yep,because you are a good person that has morals.That guy has cases full of great stuff,and no friends....no one will hunt with him,and he uses his detector shop to prey on newbies for places to go.

The greatest reward I have ever gained detecting was returning a little award football,to a gentleman that was in his 90's and lost it playing one last game of football with his best friend whom was killed in WW2.Some things do not belong to the finder

ppratt

Jun 19, 2003
South western PA
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
kuger said:

Yes that sux but u have to stick to my guns and say no deal was made. Also I guess he was that good of a friend I would have gave it back because I value family history. But if it was a gold coin or a small cache u would have never get it. If it was large cache I think I would have cut a deal

ddaddydigger

Jul 30, 2012
NORTH EAST GEORGIA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
12 INCH SPIDER COIL
6X8 SEF EXCELLERATOR COIL
6 INCH DOUBLE D EXCELLERATOR COIL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
80% of my mding is on private property,be honest and let them know who you are and about your hobby,and also let them know you will be glad to show them your finds.Some say they want to see the finds and some say enjoy yourself.the ones who want to see,be diplomatic and offer half of any treasures of real value.my experience,most folks decline the offer, less than 4 times have i shared my finds.
what does everyone do if they find jewelry on private property and the owner doesn't know whos it is. Should the owner get it or yourself? and how do you tell the owner that you really want to keep it without getting them "angry"? please reply because im going to ask permission to detect private property for the first time soon.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My personal opinion is that once I get permission to hunt on private property, I keep what I find. I'm not going to do all the work and then fork over my finds to the owner. If the landowner wants all the finds I wouldn't detect it at all. I would happily search for a specific item for someone though such as a class/wedding ring or something like that.

I agree with you to a point.

"My personal opinion is that once I get permission to hunt on private property, I keep what I find." same here

Exceptions being items clearly marked, with names that can be attributed to the present land owner,
and / or items the landowner says they would like. I sometimes ask if they would like any of my finds.
I sometimes tell them while asking permission, I Will show them everything , in case there is something they want.

"I'm not going to do all the work and then fork over my finds to the owner. If the landowner wants all the finds I wouldn't detect it at all."

I hunted a yard once because the guy was curious about detecting, & also curious to see what was in his yard.
after an hour or so of him following me around, & me handing him everything I dug, so he could check it out,
he threw the trash & relics in his trash can ??? & the handfull of coins in a change cup above his sink :laughing7:

Needless to say I Never asked to come back :tongue3: But I'm here to say I Survived :headbang:

=========

Earlier this year My nephew hooked us up to an old church site.

While hunting there I found a very old wedding band. When the landowner was looking at it he said,
"I'd like to have that" I Smiled & Ignored & He handed it back.
After I got home, Photographed it, Posted it with my finds, I made it a point to
ship it back to the landowner with my nephew. simply because I'll find more rings :laughing7:

=====

No I don't hunt to give things away,
I Am & Always will be a treasure Hunter

whether that treasure is,

1. Something I can post here & get compliments on.
2. Something I can add to my Personal museum collection
3. Something I Never saw before.
4. something I can return to someone
5. the Smile on someones face or that appreciation in their eyes
particularly the smile, Hug & kiss on the cheek from that young High school girl, on a Mission
with her history class
when I stepped to the side & let her take credit for a particular find I made.
as the camera flashed.
6. teaching College girls on a bus trip to a fossil pit how to find Fossils
7. or that $??,000,000,000,000,000,000.00 Bank account I'm still hoping for,
for finding Atlantis
in Pennsylvania

Or the exercise I get & Friends I made

I'm still looking for more Treasures :occasion14:

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I always set the stage BEFORE THE HUNT. Say to the owner that you will split the value of any valuable find 50/50 if that is agreeable with them. I have never gotten arguements with that. They didn't want this rusty block of iron so I kept it and restored it. It is a 200 year old ax head. A documentable find. ax300.jpg

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He should not have gotten off the property with it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread