private property detecting

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other

attempted recovery

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[QUOTE=kuger
Would you beleive the third hole he dug contained 6 $20 gold coins?

No, I don't believe it. that is incredible.

Last edited:

attempted recovery

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just thought I should elaborate on my last statement.......A veteran detectorist in my area years ago received permission,on a piece of property that the land owners had shut down because of bad past experiences with inconsiderate detecting and trespassers.He was able to gain a few hours on the place through many hours of getting to know the folks and helping out around the ranch.
Would you beleive the third hole he dug contained 6 $20 gold coins?Well it did,and he gave one to each of the five family members.......now....this family happened to own a couple hundred acres,that he has since had exclusive rights on...........and was well connected to MANY more of the local Ranches.Word traveled fast what an honest guy he was and you know what?That was in the late '80's and he has not had to ask permission on another property since.People were calling him,and he has had more prime ground to hunt then he could ever hunt in a lifetime

WOW,

Did you write "the little engine that could" or "the three little pigs" or "little red riding hood"? You should have at least competed with those that did, cause You are very good at telling things.

swolfe

Jul 8, 2012
Rockford Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Beep and Dig Harbor Freight 9 function detector.
Whites Coinmaster DB/4
Whites Coinmaster Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I MOSTLY do private yards and this is how I handle it.

Before I even start I work something out with the owner. More often than not the property owner keeps anything of value even if they say you can keep some of the things beforehand - seeing the old coins/relics changes their minds. When it comes to old coins, people often seem to believe that they are worth a fortune and they keep them all. I usually just get pictures. The exceptions tend to be properties where the owner doesn't live - rentals or vacant lots. I never feel bad about giving them their own things but I usually do not go back to properties that I spent time on, found nice things and left empty handed. Oddly the people who keep everything usually try to get you to come back and do it again - no thanks :)

Just be honest and if you don't get to keep the things just chalk it up to experience and understand that you did something nice for somebody else. I know that finding something nice makes you feel like you have some ownership of it, but it just isn't yours. Enjoy the thrill of the hunt.

Sometimes people will say they want a split because of something they saw on TV. This has never worked out in my favor. More often than not there is one really nice thing and a bunch of junk/clad. Every time this has happened, the property owner has kept the nice thing and never gave me half of the value. It's just how things are.

One time there was a man who saw me detecting at my mom's place and he asked if I wanted to do his yard. It was an older house so I readily agreed. He followed me around and I dug a couple dollars in clad and some hot wheels cars. In his back yard I got a V nickel and my first SLQ - it was also my first silver coin ever. He kept the clad and the old coins but gave me the cars. It is still one of my favorite hunts ever and I don't regret that I don't have the coins in my collection.

Last edited:

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
attempted recovery said:
WOW,

Did you write "the little engine that could" or "the three little pigs" or "little red riding hood"? You should have at least competed with those that did, cause You are very good at telling things.

See boys and girls, this is why you stay in school.

attempted recovery

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See boys and girls, this is why you stay in school.

With "a lot" of sincerity, Hello friend. I honestly hope you a great day. good luck to you in everything. God Bless.

attempted recovery,

Last edited:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With "a lot" of sincerity, Hello friend. I honestly hope you a great day. good luck to you in everything. God Bless.

attempted recovery,

PM me and I will put you in contact with him.....?

Last edited by a moderator:

republicfireguy

Greenie
Aug 4, 2012
Republic, WA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I show everything I find to the landowner. If they really want something I give it to them, I like finding things more than I like keeping them, and if my wife had any say I'd give or throw away everything I've found anyway.

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
I MOSTLY do private yards and this is how I handle it.

Before I even start I work something out with the owner. More often than not the property owner keeps anything of value even if they say you can keep some of the things beforehand - seeing the old coins/relics changes their minds. When it comes to old coins, people often seem to believe that they are worth a fortune and they keep them all. I usually just get pictures. The exceptions tend to be properties where the owner doesn't live - rentals or vacant lots. I never feel bad about giving them their own things but I usually do not go back to properties that I spent time on, found nice things and left empty handed. Oddly the people who keep everything usually try to get you to come back and do it again - no thanks :)

Just be honest and if you don't get to keep the things just chalk it up to experience and understand that you did something nice for somebody else. I know that finding something nice makes you feel like you have some ownership of it, but it just isn't yours. Enjoy the thrill of the hunt.

Sometimes people will say they want a split because of something they saw on TV. This has never worked out in my favor. More often than not there is one really nice thing and a bunch of junk/clad. Every time this has happened, the property owner has kept the nice thing and never gave me half of the value. It's just how things are.

One time there was a man who saw me detecting at my mom's place and he asked if I wanted to do his yard. It was an older house so I readily agreed. He followed me around and I dug a couple dollars in clad and some hot wheels cars. In his back yard I got a V nickel and my first SLQ - it was also my first silver coin ever. He kept the clad and the old coins but gave me the cars. It is still one of my favorite hunts ever and I don't regret that I don't have the coins in my collection.

Absurd...Is that what we should do? Waste out time finding stuff for property owners that they didn't even know was there. I'd rather not detect all all.

mortarman

Aug 12, 2012
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Teknetics Omega 8500, Garrett Master Hunter 7, Garrett Pro-pointer/ Stavr Scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're going to show up out of the blue and ask a stranger if you can detect on his or her property and they say yes, then both of you are entering into a verbal contract. If you tell them up front that you keep everything you find and they still say yes, so be it. But if not, then you are obligated to show them what you find, the least of which is as a thank you to them for giving permission.
Looking at it from a homeowners perspective, If you come to my door and I agree to let you on my property, I would expect to see what you found. It's common courtesy. Even if we didn't agree to it and you leave without saying anything I'd probably never let you do it again. You have to look at this hobby from both perspectives.

attempted recovery

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're going to show up out of the blue and ask a stranger if you can detect on his or her property and they say yes, then both of you are entering into a verbal contract. If you tell them up front that you keep everything you find and they still say yes, so be it. But if not, then you are obligated to show them what you find, the least of which is as a thank you to them for giving permission.
Looking at it from a homeowners perspective, If you come to my door and I agree to let you on my property, I would expect to see what you found. It's common courtesy. Even if we didn't agree to it and you leave without saying anything I'd probably never let you do it again. You have to look at this hobby from both perspectives.

asking permission, and showing the land owner what i find is exactly what i do, I have said that from the beginning, the only thing i said was that i keep my finds,"unless" they want me to look for something pertinent to them. "Pertinent" means a clear decisive relevant object that pertain to them that they want me to me look out for.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
A word of caution. An agreement is not legally binding unless both parties benefit hand print-2_edited-5.jpg from it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread