All Treasure Hunting

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It belongs to the owner of the land. If the owner wants to keep it, there is nothing you can do about it. If you keep it without telling the owner, you are stealing it.

Before you make the first swing with the metal detector, you should have work the details out with the land owner.

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just don't let them know u found anything worth keeping

It belongs to the owner of the land. If the owner wants to keep it, there is nothing you can do about it. If you keep it without telling the owner, you are stealing it.

Before you make the first swing with the metal detector, you should have work the details out with the land owner.

You could always ask them up front if they know of any lost jewelry you can keep an eye out for. Anything they don't describe to you, you could just keep, if you wanted to do it that way. I kinda agree with both these guys, you should work it out with the landowner first before you set out, but I don't necessarily think it's fair that after X hours of hunting that you should have to turn over ALL your finds to the guy who probably sat on his ass on the couch watching TV while you were outside busting your tail. Just my 2c...

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I said b4 dnt show them the good stuff you find if u wanna keep it

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a personal decision that you will have to make.

When I ask to hunt a private yard, I tell the owner up-front that this is my hobby and that any jewelry or
significant relics I find that are related to the history of the property will be given to them IF they wish.
I also ask that I be allowed to keep any coins, tokens, and/or interesting buttons.

When I finish hunting, I make it a practice to show my finds to the home owner (they ARE curious) and more often than not,
they tell me I can keep everything I've found. On one occasion (two weeks ago), I found a 14K gold ring and after showing
it to the owner, he said I could keep it. When I told him it was worth around $140 in melt value, he said "why don't you
sell it and then we'll split the money". A couple of days later when I handed him his cash, he thanked me and said "you're
an all-right guy". To me, this comment alone was worth more than the gold ring. As I was leaving, he said he would ask a few
of his friends if I can hunt their property.

Also, when asking permission, be sure to leave your name and phone number with the owner, they may say no
when you first ask but might change their minds after talking with other family members. They may be just
as curious as you are as to what lies inches below the ground.

Good luck!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another good reason to leave you contact details is because if you are a straight up guy, they will pass your number to a friend that has just lost their ring in their yard & needs it finding. Good deeds do not go unrewarded.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just don't let them know u found anything worth keeping

dhollard02
'I said b4 dnt show them the good stuff you find if u wanna keep it'

Well, I will say it again, people like you make it easy for me to look good, keep it up, makes my life easy.

I will say, one last time, I KEEP EVERYTHING I WANT. But I don't steal it.

You show me your collection & I will show mine?

Last edited:

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ddnt know your the holy Grail to metal detecting

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have NEVER ran into the problem and I do not hide anything. I simply ask permission to hunt and promise I will respect the property. I always try to make them comfortable by giving a business card etc to show some accountability. It is only right to return items I think would be more important to them than to me. Have found it to be great PR to share my finds but the fact that I am gonna keep most things that I find are a given. I do not believe it is dishonest or unethical because I am really asking for the right to search for items that have been lost or discarded and not deemed valuable enough for them or past occupants to take the time and expense to try and recover. I don't ask them if they would be kind enough to let me mow their yard for free. Common sense dictates that I am doing this for some kind of reward. If they feel it is theirs and demand they recieve all that I dig ( which has only happened a few times in many years of hunting ) I thank them and offer to hunt the yard for a set fee. I have never had a taker and have certainly been turned down but probably get permission in 75% of the places I ask. It is theirs until they grant me permission to try and find a few old coins etc. Every now and then we get lucky and find great stuff but the hunt and the history is the real reason most of us hunt. Having them ask me to return a certain item if I find ( which does happen ) it is a wonderful opportunity for me to make them happy if I find it and I keep the rest. Just be good to people and most will be good to you.

Beans11

Jan 10, 2011
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Explorer se pro
I don't think they are going to be looking out their window the entire time your detecting..just stick it in your pocket and and pretend its a piece of junk but maybe they will. Some people think every time you get down to dig there is something good at the bottom of the hole, which cracks me up. If they lost something that valuable and were concerned about getting it back then im sured they would mention it to you. if they want to keep the valuable stuff in their yard then they can go buy a metal detector and look for it themselves. If they don't bring up the fact that they want to keep anything when you first ask for permission then I would say its free game

bosco

Mar 23, 2012
knoxville Illinois
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wear a pouch that has two pockets...one for junk and one for the good stuff. If I find any clad I put it in with the junk. That way if anyone happens to want to see what I've found I'm not pulling out a bunch if scrap metal.

I guess the way I see it is...if I ask to hunt someones property then anything I find is leaving with me. After all...they live there so its not like they...themselves haven't had plenty of opportunity to search the property themselves.

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You show me your collection & I will show mine?

Good idea, Crusader. You should make a Photobucket album like I did (in my signature) and post your finds there. I know I'd love to see everything you've decided to keep... would be encouraging and just plain awesome :)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have NEVER ran into the problem and I do not hide anything. I simply ask permission to hunt and promise I will respect the property. I always try to make them comfortable by giving a business card etc to show some accountability. It is only right to return items I think would be more important to them than to me. Have found it to be great PR to share my finds but the fact that I am gonna keep most things that I find are a given. I do not believe it is dishonest or unethical because I am really asking for the right to search for items that have been lost or discarded and not deemed valuable enough for them or past occupants to take the time and expense to try and recover. I don't ask them if they would be kind enough to let me mow their yard for free. Common sense dictates that I am doing this for some kind of reward. If they feel it is theirs and demand they recieve all that I dig ( which has only happened a few times in many years of hunting ) I thank them and offer to hunt the yard for a set fee. I have never had a taker and have certainly been turned down but probably get permission in 75% of the places I ask. It is theirs until they grant me permission to try and find a few old coins etc. Every now and then we get lucky and find great stuff but the hunt and the history is the real reason most of us hunt. Having them ask me to return a certain item if I find ( which does happen ) it is a wonderful opportunity for me to make them happy if I find it and I keep the rest. Just be good to people and most will be good to you.

Sounds OK & on the right track, up until a point. So, what would you do with a very valuable find? (keep it quiet or let them know, & what would be the share if you showed them but you had no prior agreement as to what would happen?) Do you see what I'm trying to do here? I'm trying to cover BOTH parties so they know where they stand IF the big one happens. I know that the US are much more ready than we are to Sue, so why not take away the opportunity to loss everything?

Clearly I know most stuff you get is of little or no interest to them (Which is why it shouldn't worry any of you showing them, right?).

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wear a pouch that has two pockets...one for junk and one for the good stuff. If I find any clad I put it in with the junk. That way if anyone happens to want to see what I've found I'm not pulling out a bunch if scrap metal.

I guess the way I see it is...if I ask to hunt someones property then anything I find is leaving with me. After all...they live there so its not like they...themselves haven't had plenty of opportunity to search the property themselves.

Its a perception thing, how many of you enjoyed American Diggers? This kind of behaviour makes me think that your going to have some battles for survival in the future. Unless, the 'majority' gives you a better name, you will be banned from 'everywhere' State by State. Because, the Owners impression will be that you came in took everything & told them nothing. Not an impression I want the hobby to have in any Country including my own.

It amazes me that the advice you are giving a 13 year kid is to hide & keep everything. If this is the future you want for your hobby I feel sad for you. I hope the kid goes on the right path & not one that it seems a lot of you guys encourage. After all I betting I know who will have the GREATER SUCCESS.

You tell me how many owners do you think will take all the good rewards from a 13 year old kid who has only just started detecting?

I challenge Plug Cutter to this:

Hunt No.1:
Try my way & show them everything, maybe give them 1 or 2 things you don't mind giving up.

Hunt No.2:
Then, try how others have adviced - keep everything, tell them nothing.

Report back on here about how each of those hunts made you feel?

(then decide the path for you, that way you will know where to head with this, seem fair?)

Last edited:

tesorobandit

May 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
tesoro vaquero, bandidoII Umax, garrett 250, ETG ( eyes to the ground)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This obviously is an ethical question, and going by some of the replies there are some folks spending too much time with their machines on and not enough time learning.
Some of the replies are just plain greenhorns and youngsters, but you older, seasoned veterans seem to harbor attitudes akin to petty thieves, hoarders,and grave diggers. Sure some folks just naturally get wrankled , but why give them reasons
You all have chosen an invasive hobby-period. Always ask permission, and make offers of sharing- gold and valuable collectables should be 50/50. Always offer a history lesson of some sort-ussually this alone will suffice. Sell or give some small items to encourage history to the children of the homeowner or neighbor. Volunteer a service in exchange for searching rights. I know many who harbor a renegade attitude to this hobby at some point check over there shoulder. And I am sure some deserved to be arrested! Also, Proper extraction conservation techniques should always be followed.
Failure to follow these steps just gives this hobby/living a bad reputation, and ultimately leads to to regulations like we see in Fla. and elsewhere.
Other vocabulary words to research: Karma, felony, responsibility, preservation. placation,education
with great treasure comes great responsibility!

Its a perception thing, how many of you enjoyed American Diggers? This kind of behaviour makes me think that your going to have some battles for survival in the future. Unless, the 'majority' gives you a better name, you will be banned from 'everywhere' State by State. Because, the Owners impression will be that you came in took everything & told them nothing. Not an impression I want the hobby to have in any Country including my own.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes this is all on how your personal preference is on this. Like I said b4 I dnt have a big collection so that's why I wanna keep all my finds, or if a valuable ring cash it in to help pay for gas or a better detector down the road.

Don't be sitting here and bashing people on how they wanna detect if you don't agree, don't be acting like your better than someone else because you offer your finds to someone. I'm glad you do that but not everyone feels that's way. I'm sorry some of you don't agree with me and some other people on here.

tesorobandit

May 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
tesoro vaquero, bandidoII Umax, garrett 250, ETG ( eyes to the ground)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes , but your personal preference, and promoting such is selfish to a point of criminality in the view of a conservative or liberal-manage yourself and the govt. won't manage you;simple self preservation-not soapboxing
Yes this is all on how your personal preference is on this. Like I said b4 I dnt have a big collection so that's why I wanna keep all my finds, or if a valuable ring cash it in to help pay for gas or a better detector down the road.

Don't be sitting here and bashing people on how they wanna detect if you don't agree, don't be acting like your better than someone else because you offer your finds to someone. I'm glad you do that but not everyone feels that's way. I'm sorry some of you don't agree with me and some other people on here.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Y is it so wrong k was giving permission to take stuff outta the ground it's not like I'm inthere at night time doing it whne the people are sleeping or away they know what I'm doing.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Another good reason to leave you contact details is because if you are a straight up guy, they will pass your number to a friend that has just lost their ring in their yard & needs it finding. Good deeds do not go unrewarded.

Perfectly put!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread