If you win an Olympic Gold Medal you get mostly Silver???

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IOC rules state that modern gold medals need to have a minimum of 92.5 percent silver content and at least six grams of gold but each host city can design its own medal.

This years Gold medals have a scrap value of around $706 dollars...not that anyone would scrap one.

I know the government will change the medal content of coins when the value of the medal is worth more then the face value of the coin.

Are there any other items that you can think of that the metal content changed due to value of the metal?

Ok, I'm sure there are a million of them but are there any really interesting ones???

NJ

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The good news is that they will continue to use precious metal when making the Olympic Medals

The bad news is they will drastically reduce the medal sizes, just like the food you buy :laughing7:

The dimensions of the Olympic medal are currently 70mm diameter and 6mm thickness

for the 2016 games they will be 10mm diameter and 2mm thick :laughing9:

So don't blink during the award ceremony, or you may miss seeing it
:tongue3:

Last edited:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are soooo right, car bumpers never even entered my mind :laughing7: They've been made of rubber/plastic, with the exception of a little foil trim for so long, I would never had thought of them. I guess the metal left the bumpers the same time they stopped making whitewall tires..

Well at least you have me thinking out of the box now...

I can also add taking the lead out of paint... What a disgrace that was :tongue3:

gunntekk1

Mar 19, 2005
Newport PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 and ACE 250, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
now now the IOC says medals have to be 60mm minimum diameter and 3mm minimum thick with 925 and 6 grams of gold for the gold medal

melt value would be about 650$

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
now now the IOC says medals have to be 60mm minimum diameter and 3mm minimum thick with 925 and 6 grams of gold for the gold medal

melt value would be about 650$

lol...I did not calculate the value...I was quoting an article I read.

On of the Olypians had their Gold and Silver medals around their two dogs necks and another dropped their medal in the shower and it got damaged. I think these people need to be a little more careful or we are going to see an medal posted on T-Net.

NJ

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Car bumpers

I did not think about the bumpers specificly but I did think about cars in general. Steel and chrome to fiberglass and plastic. They just don't build them like the use to.

NJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread