How do you find old maps? Please help!

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm...check plat map books in a genealogical society for the county you are in or whatever county you desire. Good for finding trolly and R.R. routes, farms, churches and schools, graveyards etc. Sorry if I repeat anyone. Have you checked the site called "Historic Aerials"? GL & HH

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just want general. I would like maps that would tell me where old houses used to be. Like a old property map.

Hi Smf. To find where old houses used to be you have to look at an old map and compare it to a new map. If the house is not on the new map then you have found where an old house used to be. Topo maps are good for this because they show homes and structures as black squares on the map. I like to hunt cellar holes in the woods. All that is left of the house is the foundation (cellar hole). To locate one I'll look at an old topo map of places that I know are wooded and no current homes exist. Then I'll go looking for the cellar hole. The places I have found are on public land that is used for hunting. So I'm fortunate to have many public places to hunt.

The three pictures I attached show one of the best places I have ever hunted (and still hunt). In the early maps you can see the structures. But, the modern google earth image shows nothing there. Just woods. I even researched the name of the property owner (Henline) and found out he was there in the early 1800's. The old maps I used are the same ones I posted towards the top of this thread. Historical mapworks and My Topo Historical Maps.

Good Luck.
-Swartzie

Attachments

• henline_a.jpg
    henline_a.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 130
  • henline_b.jpg
    henline_b.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 94
  • henline_c.jpg
    henline_c.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 104

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm no expert on NJ maps (yes, states are different due to many factors), but a useful skill to develop is to pick out the physical location of buildings, either in conjunction with maps or without.

I start by being aware of local histories, and asking myself where a house would likely be located and then looking for signs of them. In modern times, they tend to get bulldozed, but in the old days, they either burned or just settled in to the ground. They left signs like old foundations, lilac bushes, apple trees and the like. Get an eye for that. The advantage of that is that you bypass historical research and get right down to detecting. Don't get me wrong, research is great, but I stumble on old sites all the time and it's easy to just start swinging.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
OK, I realize that there are people that give a serious answer like Don and people that make caustic comments like ticm but lets help out. To give info, you need the state and area like county or region designation like a mountain or valley. Next we need to know specificly what you are looking for.

Here's a general idea of what is in your area. There are about 350 items from treasure caches to ghost townes listed, and a map with the locations shown. in volume 6 of the US Treasure Atlas by Thomas T Terry. The atlases were all listed on T Net a while back. I don't know if they are still here.
There are 10 volumes to the atlas, but NJ is all in vol 6. You can get it on E Bay sometimes. Frank Deserata-1692.jpg

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
OK, I realize that there are people that give a serious answer like Don and people that make caustic comments like ticm but lets help out. To give info, you need the state and area like county or region designation like a mountain or valley. Next we need to know specificly what you are looking for.

Here's a general idea of what is in your area. There are about 350 items from treasure caches to ghost townes listed, and a map with the locations shown. in volume 6 of the US Treasure Atlas by Thomas T Terry. The atlases were all listed on T Net a while back. I don't know if they are still here.
There are 10 volumes to the atlas, but NJ is all in vol 6. You can get it on E Bay sometimes. Frank View attachment 663088 PS you can inlarge it by 2 clicks on it.

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get my topo maps at garage sales - I have many from NJ . Any particular town u need ? I probably have it .

Attachments

• maps 001.jpg
    maps 001.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 81
  • maps 003.jpg
    maps 003.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 95

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To those it concrens, mocking a member who is asking a question is against our rules.....Please stop....No one is required to answer a question, but if your going to answer it please do it in a polite and civil manner, not in a mocking tone....

"You may not.... Impersonate, imitate, pretend to be, or mock another member."
"Don't attack, provoke, insult, or deliberately offend anyone."
"Sniping, name calling, denegration and other generally negative or abusive actions are grounds for moderation. In extreme cases grounds for banning!"
"Keep the discussion civil, respectful and on topic. "
http://www.treasurenet.com/index.php?pageid=rules

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't want anyone to make fun of me, but I treated the problem like it was me that was asking since although I deal with maps for a living, I've never had occasion to look at New Jersey.

I Googled "new jersey old maps". Honest, that's what I did. It came up with a lot of hits. Then I clicked on the "Images" tab to get a flavor of what's there. Well, I'm still looking after an hour. There's lots of hits. I just looked for what was detailed enough to portray buildings.

This looked like a particularly good site: New Jersey Historical Maps

For old buildings, Sanborn maps are hard to beat. I just so happens that Princeton University has digitized some 16,000 of them, and they're available online: Princeton University - Library digitizes collection of historic New Jersey maps

They're not downloadable, but they do have a viewer that zooms in, just what you need.

Go for it. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread