What to do with "Treaure"

IsabellaSea

Apr 24, 2012
Florida
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I say reputable jeweler to get a value before you make a move. Then you will know how to proceed.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Personally I would hold onto the smaller stuff,and,if you hit a BIG one,sell it and buy some smaller stuff,just my way of thinking with the way this World is headed! Vacuumed sealed dry foods won't hurt either! If you get the drift. God Bless Chris

OP
OP
A

Av8joker

Aug 6, 2012
Milwaukee, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Worldtalker,
Not sure I get your drift....why hold onto to any of it ?
Thanks,
Av8Joker

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Av8joker said:
Hello Worldtalker,
Thanks,
Av8Joker

Some believe paper money will be useless due to the current status of things that are going on.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Worldtalker,
Thanks,
Av8Joker
Gold & Silver are the ONLY true money there is,it maintains it's value, the crap in your wallet is worthless,it looks like money,it spends like money,but,when the economy collapses as it surely will,then people will find out what that piece of paper is worth.Save ALL your small finds,they will make some good barter in the future,get Heirloom seed to grow,Prepare for the Worst Hope for the Best!!!

OP
OP
A

Av8joker

Aug 6, 2012
Milwaukee, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhh, got the drift now. Well, I can't argue the point that precious metals have been the monetary standard for thousands of years. I guess I don't quite see the end of the global economy quite yet.

Let's assume I have another 30 years before it all goes to heck. Should I go to a jeweler to sell stuff or Craigslist or what ?

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
Av8joker said:
Hello Group,

New guy here....when you find a couple of rings made of gold, silver and a few small diamonds, what next ? Do you take them to a pawn shop, jewelry store or do you melt them down ?

Appreciate the help, even the sarcastic comments.

Av8Joker

Go to a well established jeweler. I'd not feel comfortable with a hock shop, or Craig's List. A good jeweler will be able to give you a range estimate, but may charge for a detailed appraisal. It is your call to keep or sell. For me, I'd probably "keep" for a while to see how the economy is going.

Oh, one more thing ... Don't even think of sending jewelry off to those mail-in buyers. You will get burned.

Really, you can purchase a gram scale for under ten bucks then do the weighing yourself. A ring with stones, of course won't give you a true metallic weight.

Post photos of the rings when you find them. We live vicariously on stuff like that.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet app

OP
OP
A

Av8joker

Aug 6, 2012
Milwaukee, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Moonrover ! I appreciate the advice. I can't even get my profile pic to load, so I am not sure I will be able to get treasure pics up on here.
Av8Joker

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
Av8joker said:
Thanks Moonrover ! I appreciate the advice. I can't even get my profile pic to load, so I am not sure I will be able to get treasure pics up on here.
Av8Joker

This is ironic. Was going to give you advice on how to enter an avatar pic so I went to mine to refresh my memory. Now I've managed to unlink my avatar. Crazy, eh? So I go through the process again to put in a fresh avatar, and ... Zilch for luck. Now I'm a man without an avatar. Faceless and frustrated. <sigh>. With my luck, my tombstone will be blank! <lol>

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet app

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Av8joker, Here it is, I have established myself with an independent jeweler. He gives me 75% of the value in cash for anything I bring to him. He weighs and tests everything. There is no bickering. When I first went to him I preweighed all items and his scale came up with the same readings. Coins and gold {like nuggets} are not recorded, but jewelry is.
Now I take pictures of only a few small items to show on here. The bigger finds { do not exist in images} 5th amendment strategy. I keep only a few items that I personally like. Everything else is converted to cash and spent. If all hell breaks out, the only thing of value will be food,guns and ammo, and possibly potable water, so I don't hoard gold. However I do have a good gun collection. In a bad situation, iron will be worth more than gold if you get my drift. Frank The Mask  700.jpg

Last edited:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Av8joker, Here it is, I have established myself with an independent jeweler. He gives me 75% of the value in cash for anything I bring to him. He weighs and tests everything. There is no bickering. When I first went to him I preweighed all items and his scale came up with the same readings. Coins and gold {like nuggets} are not recorded, but jewelry is.
Now I take pictures of only a few small items to show on here. The bigger finds { do not exist in images} 5th amendment strategy. I keep only a few items that I personally like. Everything else is converted to cash and spent. If all hell breaks out, the only thing of value will be food,guns and ammo, and possibly potable water, so I don't hoard gold. However I do have a good gun collection. In a bad situation, iron will be worth more than gold if you get my drift. Frank View attachment 664253
Lead leading the committee,of course a little precious metal wouldn't hurt either,if you get my drift.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
joker, First you are assuming you will find items of value. That is a big assumption because it involves a massive amount of
participation on your part in capital and endeavor. Most of us feel lucky to unearth an occasional trinket of dubious worth to
anyone but our own.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
joker, First you are assuming you will find items of value. That is a big assumption because it involves a massive amount of
participation on your part in capital and endeavor. Most of us feel lucky to unearth an occasional trinket of dubious worth to
anyone but our own.
Just keep on lookin,don't tell me that EVENTIUALLY you're not gonna swing over something of value!!! All I have is time,and,I make the most of it! ONE of these days you 'll never hear from me again,I'll be living In Jamaica!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions