google earth images

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How can you tell when images on google earth were taken? I've wandered when they updated. I've seen pics there with boats on the road from hurricane Katrina. With all the storms the gulf coast has endured in the last 8 years, I need to zoom in on at least annual images.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
New Orleans Relic said:
So no one has any thoughts?

I have lots of thoughts. Some good some not so good and many In between.

Try Bing.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HAve you ever looked at anything other than the picture itself? When you load a google earth image it has a lot of other info with it. You can scroll through past pictures of the same spot (with thier dates also)

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
Jason in Enid said:
HAve you ever looked at anything other than the picture itself? When you load a google earth image it has a lot of other info with it. You can scroll through past pictures of the same spot (with thier dates also)

How to do? I'm looking at a GE image right now, but don't see options to scroll to older images. Possibly I have to boot up the desktop computer. I'm on this little iPad right now.

M

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Look in the lower left of the Google Earth image. It has an imagery date.
-Swartzie

Attachments

• 2012-08-18_091049.jpg
    2012-08-18_091049.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 142

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
Swartzie said:
Look in the lower left of the Google Earth image. It has an imagery date.
-Swartzie

I see it on your attached photo. Little iPad app for GE does not seem to have it. Will switch to a real computer because I want to work back in time a few years if that is possible. Is that accomplished by clicking on the date in the lower left?

Thanks .....

M

Last edited:

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep,
Depending on the photos available, it will open a box top left and you can scroll through the previous years.
HH
Steve

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ray, I heard that Google has been updating at least some of the imagery here in town lately, I haven't looked into it much yet but I'm hoping for new images of a few areas I want to look into.

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having previewed prospecting areas from GE, and then actually went to those locations, GE has a LOT of shortcomings. Many areas of the national forest have very low resolution photos to view. Why is that exactly in the year 2012? That is why I am working on a way to create my own aerial maps that have much better resolution, and are simly not subject to the whims of Google...

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
UncleMatt said:
... I am working on a way to create my own aerial maps that have much better resolution, and are simly not subject to the whims of Google...

Matt ... are you planning on doing a mosaic from low level aerial shots? Prior to satellite imagery the government contracted out for that work, but not much is going on now.
Which means the available aerial photos may not be current. Not that out of date is a downside since what you are seeking may be shown on older photos and not on current satellite passes.

M

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions