Newbie intro and a couple of questions

kbrocks

Greenie
Nov 16, 2006
NC & TX
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Hello everyone, I'm a long time lurker that just now created an account. I guess you could say I'm a collector of all things. I have been collecting coins for years, arrow heads and indian artifacts, and rocks and minerals. Well, I've always wanted a metal detector so hopefully in the next month or two I'll be purchasing one.

As for my questions. My father in law has about 25 acres of land north of Winston-Salem, NC, at the foot of the Blue Ridge mountains. He purchased it a few years ago and I have been rockhounding the site for a year or so, also looking for arrow heads, with no luck. Anyway, when he bought the land and house, the surrounding woods were very overgrown. The house is approximately 40 or so years old. In the woods surrounding the house, there are 2 distinct overgrown roads. We guess they were either for logging or tobacco farming. You can still see the ruts from the road, but it has not been used in a long time. We had someone from the forrestry service come and date the trees. The trees currently growing in the middle of the road are at least 50-60 years old. So yeah, the road hasn't been used in a while.

For the sake of simplicity, I'll divide the land up. The house is right in the middle, so there is an East side and a West side of the propery, each being about 11 acres. On the west side of the property, along one of the old roads, there are 3 stone foundations. Each one is about 15 feet X 15 feet. We are assuming they were tobacco barns, but don't know. Also, there is no cleared field nearby. The closest field is about a mile away, so I'm not sure why the barns would be there. Any ideas?

Next, on the east side of the land is where the other road goes. There is nothing to be found directly off the road. But about 200 yards off the road, way in the middle of no where, is a cabin. My father in law calls it the slave cabin, not sure why but it stuck. There are no roads or noticeable paths leading to it, other than some deer trails. About 20 yards away from the cabin is an old cellar hole dug into a small hill. The hole has rocks stacked up lining the sides and is presently about 4 feet deep. There is also a nice little spring fed stream nearby. The cabin itself is 2 rooms, seperated by a stone fireplace and a wall. There is no electricity or signs of it, so it is somewhat old. I've included a couple of pictures, look how the house is sitting rocks on the right hand side of the pic. There is also a ladder that leads to a loft. We have been browsing the house, no detectors yet, and found some old tins and cork top bottles so far, as well as 2 old pairs of shoes. In the area in front of the house, you can tell that it was somewhat cleared, maybe a yard or something, and there are obvious mounds, either dirt or rock, but very overgrown. On the rest of the east side, scattered throughout the woods, are rock mounds, the same stuff the barn foundations were made from, but they aren't laid out like a foundation, just piled up. There are about 4 mounds that I know of. These, to me, don't seem like natural occurances. They look like someone piled them up for later use, or they completely demolished some old barns.

As soon as I get a detector I'm going to check the area completely. But my questions are. Can anyone date this cabin by looking at these pics? It looks as though some kids found it in the past, a little graphiti. Also, anyone have an idea of why someone lived here and had the barns or foundations? Like I said, no tobacco fields nearby, and at least on our land, there was no heaving logging, other that the trees on the old road, the rest are 100+ years old. Given the scenerio, where would be the first place you check? I'm thinking the cellar and around the house, but the barns have my curiosity. Other than tobacco and logging, the only other thing I can think of is moonshine, which is still being made in that area.

Anyway, I appreciate any suggestions and advice. Thanks,

Bob

Pics, clickable. sorry about the size.

T

TreasureTales

While I was reading your story I was thinking it sounded like a moonshiner's hideout and then lo and behold you mentioned moonshine right at the end of your story. Other than possibly a trapper's cabin and pelt barn, I think moonshine could be the answer.

Get yourself a detector and post pix of what you find there. C'mon, don't keep us in suspense!

Welcome aboard and good luck in your metal detecting (get a MD soon before someone beats you to the spot -- remember, the graffiti means others have been there).

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
Welcome aboard former lurker. What you have there is just an old house someone built and lived in is my best guess. There are tons of them in Alabama out in the boonies and if they have a good roof, they are still standing. But one thing I can tell you about the age of the dwelling is it has been there for quite some time. You see the trees growing right next to it and how big they are? Well, when someone was living there those trees would not have been permitted to grow like that, which means the house has sat empty for probably 50-60 years if not more. Don't expect to find coins everywhere though, people out in the boonies didn't have a lot of money to lose. They were mostly share-croppers and operating on credit with the local general store until the crop came in in the fall. But by all means still give a try because YOU NEVER KNOW! Good Luck and HH. Cal

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I would date that cabin in the 20's or 30's ,maininly because ofthe uniform size of the 2x4's and prior to that period,construction was usually out of rougher 2 x 6's, also the siding looks pretty uniform indicating a planing mill . A good idea is to look at the nails used. And the floor joists. Are the joist from planed lumber or are they logs ?
You mentioned the barns being away from the fields, this was done mainly to have road access when it was time to take thetobacco to sell. A overseers or watchmans cabin could have been buiolt nearby to protectthetobacco from theft and fire.
Looks like a great place to detect andI hope you get your machines soon. If it was a shiners cabin, there might be some money to be found.
Cool pics and story.Best of luck and hope to see your finds soon.

S

stefen

Somehow logic tells me that a Moonshiner's cabin would be well hidden in a gully or canyon and not in the open.

The fact that there is now a regrowth of a new forest may be that the land (that may have been cleared at one time) was too poor to crop and was abandoned.

A second cabin or a series of cabins on the perimeter of a property could indicate that as the sons or daughters married, Old Pop would give them a home of the edge (tradition of Irish and Germans). The central cabin could have been the 'Home Place'.

The whole senario could have been as simple as that...

Hard times.

I have several cabins near my mountain home...several are from the late 1800's and some are no older than 10 years.
Hard to tell the difference except by looking at the plumbing and electricity.

However, when no modern conveniences are present, its anybody's guess.

Relics and coins may provide some indicators.

Research County records or find some old codger in the area and ask questions. In the old days you'd just go to the nearest grocer, gas station, bar or grange with a pouch of RedMan and a Coors...and learn to spit in a can. Today, a person has better research opportunities available. In fact, try to find the records of the family and see if you can find any living relatives...

Could prove to be a fun research project.

Like to see where this goes.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Tenderfoot, very nice story for your first post, great pictures also!

Good luck on your adventures, looks like a teriffic spot to search and snoop around with a metal detector. You never now...you may find an old pot full of silver.

Good luck and keep us posted ----- Happy Hunting.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you best be careful pokin' aroun' them woods

Attachments

• Hillbilly.jpg
    Hillbilly.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 152

papa

Sep 21, 2006
Kbrocks, Welcome aboard,looks like a great place to MD. Keep us posted on what you find.
The shine ??? It's mine,I'll pick it up this week end. Though I had it hid pettry good. ???

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like your going to be happily busy for a while hunting this site. Good Luck to you.

Ifn' you hear any banjos dueling, you best get you'se pink fanny outta there.

HH,
Sandman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions