Tell me your secrets!!!

TreasureWriter

Nov 13, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Jamin,

I've been at this sport for over 45 years.
Some of my best finds come from places where people have congregated for a long period of time. Wherever large numbers of people congregate the chances of items being lost increases proportionately by the number of people that were there x the number of years the site has been in existence. I was fortunate to get into metal detecting early and having access to virgin sites in the early 1970's. Today it all comes down to research. Most of the sites that I search aren't in the history books or even on the maps. I find plenty of coins and glass at the ghost towns but my caches were found through research and treasure lore. The type of items you find will depend upon where you search. I find more jewelry at the beach and around swimming holes and swimming pools. I found silverware in the water where island houses were blown down in a hurricane. I find old coins almost everywhere. I find most of my old bottles in dumps and privy's. I find most caches in or near old cellar holes.

DSCF3301.JPG DSCF2383.jpg DSCF2394.jpg DSCF3166.jpg

It's all going back into the ground soon; as my way of giving back to the hobby that I have enjoyed for so long. Then all of you guys will really have something to search for, write and talk about. The trunk you see here is filled to the top with all of my finds over the years.

Cheers
:occasion14:

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
people are creatures of habits and patterns by and large -- they go the shortest , easy path when walking -- much like "game trails" in the woods people tend to use the same walking paths when going from point A to point B -- ever see" stay off the grass" signs at a park or other place ? well most likely cutting across the grass is a lot shorter than following the poured concrete sidewalk --so folks "make their own footpath" wearing down the grass in the the process thus the signs --always at a place look for the tattle tell signs of this occuring --where folks travel or gather in large numbers theres a good chance someone might have lost something of $ worth or historic "interest" even if its not worth that much.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
If it is a secret how can we tell you..... A secret is something that is to be kept a secret....:headbang::occasion14:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Jamin,

I've been at this sport for over 45 years.
Some of my best finds come from places where people have congregated for a long period of time. Wherever large numbers of people congregate the chances of items being lost increases proportionately by the number of people that were there x the number of years the site has been in existence. I was fortunate to get into metal detecting early and having access to virgin sites in the early 1970's. Today it all comes down to research. Most of the sites that I search aren't in the history books or even on the maps. I find plenty of coins and glass at the ghost towns but my caches were found through research and treasure lore. The type of items you find will depend upon where you search. I find more jewelry at the beach and around swimming holes and swimming pools. I found silverware in the water where island houses were blown down in a hurricane. I find old coins almost everywhere. I find most of my old bottles in dumps and privy's. I find most caches in or near old cellar holes.

View attachment 668421 View attachment 668422 View attachment 668425 View attachment 668426

It's all going back into the ground soon; as my way of giving back to the hobby that I have enjoyed for so long. Then all of you guys will really have something to search for, write and talk about. The trunk you see here is filled to the top with all of my finds over the years.

Cheers
:occasion14:
It seems a shame to put it all back in the ground .... For as you know it all will never be found again.... Some will be lost forever..:icon_scratch: ???

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well I for one would look forward to finding some of it (although PA is a bit too far away from florida)-- are you going to scatter it about in small amounts or "lump sum" bury it with a map and hints .

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to look at...oh, you mean detecting secrets...nevermind.

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
Here are my target locations ... roadside pull-offs where sellers set up shop for a week end to capture some tourist traffic. During the week many of those areas are vacant.
They are all over the country. Although I'm so new at metal detecting, I've yet to swing the detector in the roadside vendor lots. I think we will give it a try when out traveling in the RV. Of course some of the pull-offs are on private property, so I have to eye the situation with that in mind.

Two areas that I know of just a few miles out in the country from where I live have wide gravel highway maintenance turn arounds. Vendors set up there every week end in good weather.

Maybe somebody has mentioned it before, but it is worth repeating ... shopping center parking lots! Pay special attention to those planted island dividers. I don't take a detector, just give the surface a good eye-balling. And I don't look too conspicuous doing it either. Walking stick helps me "flip" stuff over to see if it is worth the effort to stoop over and snag it. <lol>. I do have one of those long-handled grabbers that I may take along for the next shopping trip. Maybe if I carried a small trash bucket, I'd look like just another parking lot clean up guy.

Try to keep my secret wealth accumulation methods quiet. OK?

M

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions