pros and cons / what detector would you use for silver coins,

wayland

Aug 9, 2012
Dang, there are some cut throats on this forum. I'm sure some threads are started for general discussion. Don't really have a direct answer, just some conversation or maybe an opinion. If you don't like the post,go to the next one. Have a great day!!!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The etrac is the best silver grabber I have used but it is a bit pricey. My vaquero can find everything the etrac can but you can't cherry pic as well but it cost half as much... My silver count has went up with the etrac because I don't dig as much trash.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
gleaner1 said:
eboy, I want to help. Do you have a specific question? There is no best machine for silver, money (or lack thereof) notwithstanding. You say you have used many machines. I doubt it. Comments like "just wanted to hear what detector would be choice without over price ones, thanks" will not get you much on this forum. Understand?. You do not in fact ask a question, but you asked to "hear what detector would be choice without over price ones", whatever that means. Whatever. Nobody can offer and intelligent response to that. Nobody knows what you might think is overpriced of course. I mean, I know that five hundred dollars to me seems like five thousand dollars to you. If you cannot write intelligibly, or ask questions that are meaningful and viable, then some of the guys around here are gonna shred you to pieces. The mods step in, but at the end of the day, you got what you asked for. Next time, instead of sugar coating the whole thing, just dive in head first and come out blazing and ask "What is the frikkin deepest cheapest crapper of a land monster out there?". We aint seen that post around in a while. I say the ace250 is a contender, but since you have used many machines then of course you would know I jest. Try F5. Or is that too much? Too much money that is.

Thank you. Can't pull the wool over your eyes.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
The site has been plagued by posts like this all summer. And I'm not refertring to people being "mean".

This is a pattern that is all too predictable. In the past, threads such as this would simply have been ignored. Unfortunately, I feel as though seasoned members are getting fed up or annoyed by the influx of lousy threads/posts lately. Ultimately, people are jumping in and voicing that they are fed-up in a "mean" way. Now people are trolling, to make matters worse.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This site is for the sharing of information. If a new member asks a question that has been asked many times before and your tired of answering it then just don't reply at all..

A word to the wise, members who continue to talk down to, make fun of or harass a member simply because they ask a question that had been asked many times before are breaking TN rules and will find their selves on a timeout.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Report questionable posts/replies to moderators by clicking on the small black triangle on left side below members name so we are aware of the possible issue and can respond.

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This site is for the sharing of information. If a new member asks a question that has been asked many times before and your tired of answering it then just don't reply at all..

A word to the wise, members who continue to talk down to, make fun of or harass a member simply because they ask a question that had been asked many times before are breaking TN rules and will find their selves on a timeout.

Then why not have a section titled FAQ or "Already been asked a hundred times" and then the mods can move threads to that section instead of letting them clog up other areas. There has been an unbelievable influx of new members to this site in the past year and they all have the same questions. Make a section available for them to ask those questions. I know I come here a lot less than I did before because the areas I frequent the most are full of useless (to me) questions. Sometimes the only way to liven things up a little and make it interesting is to through a little fuel on the fire...

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clog up.......don't read, don't respond and don't be an a##. Now your clog is fixed. Do really expect a person to read all the threads before they ask a question. If you think it is a stupid or redundant question, just move on. Will take less time than talking down to others. Put a watch on it you will be amazed. Doesn't feel good does it.
What is really funny....past experience has shown me those that act the most aggressive and condisending online or even on the telephone would not do it face to face if their life depended on it. You could not melt and pour them on a person face to face but they become very brave, critical, and condisending so long as they have the anonymity provided by the net. If you can't help don't show your ###. I promise you we are not impressed.

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my mom always told me if you dont have anything nice to say then dont say it at all :tongue3: H.H.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Moderators .........Please start a special forum " We Know Everything" . That way our snipers can share all they know with each other. Wait .......What will they talk about......they know everything. At least they won't be bothered with us mere mortals. Shoot, it's starting to rub off.:dontknow:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Members can obey the rules.

The purpose of TN is the sharing of info. No one is required to reply to a question but if they do reply they are required to follow our rules.

These questions are by no means clogging up anything, you have to click on the question to even read it so don't click on it if you don't want to see it...A question doesn't stop, block, or hinder any one from posting another thread.

As far as throwing fuel on the fire as you say violates our rules so I highly recommend against it.

Last edited:

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clog up.......don't read, don't respond and don't be an a##. Now your clog is fixed. Do really expect a person to read all the threads before they ask a question. If you think it is a stupid or redundant question, just move on. Will take less time than talking down to others. Put a watch on it you will be amazed. Doesn't feel good does it.
What is really funny....past experience has shown me those that act the most aggressive and condisending online or even on the telephone would not do it face to face if their life depended on it. You could not melt and pour them on a person face to face but they become very brave, critical, and condisending so long as they have the anonymity provided by the net. If you can't help don't show your ###. I promise you we are not impressed.

If that's how you fix a clog I'd hate to see your bathroom. And yes, I do expect a new person to read the FAQ's before they ask a redundant question.

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
I think the art of finding silver coins is knowing your machine inside and out, not by how much you pay for it. Area you are detecting is also a big factor. If you're in an area with no silver coins...you won't find them with the most expensive detector, yet in a good area with lots of history and coins you can find them with the most generic. I go detecting because I enjoy it, otherwise I would be upset frequently on the days I don't find silver.

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These questions are by no means clogging up anything, you have to click on the question to even read it so don't click on it if you don't want to see it...A question doesn't stop, block, or hinder any one from posting another thread.

Maybe "clog" was a poor choice, as it is more like the opposite of that. Sometimes threads get bumped so fast because of this type of thread that you miss stuff because of the clutter. All I'm saying is maybe there should be an area to post the "what kind of ******** should I get" type of questions.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Certain questions are asked over and over again..... by new members. I find nothing wrong with that. I also would find it difficult to pin down a certain question to find the specific answer, unless I asked again. What I WOULD FIND and DO FIND offensive are those certain OLD SALTS that have to let the newbies know that they don't want to hear those questions again. Selfish.... very selfish. Lighten up, guys! TTC

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like to poll and see how many are concerned about meeting your expectations of others. Gotta admit that was sharp as a bowling ball. I enjoy most of the threads on Tnet. When one seems redundant I have a wonderful option. I go on to the next one, without trying to belittle the person who asked. I would like to know if you can truly say that every time you have asked a question on Tnet you did it with total certainty it had not been asked before. Now your option is to lie or eat crow. How bout lets try to be civil and respectful....learn .....and enjoy the comaraderie without creating an atmosphere that you must be worthy and well read to ask a question.

On to the fun stuff....learning more about a hobby I enjoy and sharing the thrill of a good find made by a friend. I might even asked a question that has been asked before just for fun. You let us know if we don't meet your expectations. In all seriousness, best of luck and happy hunting.

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
What is so offensive to people about a newbie asking questions? I enjoy offering up the knowledge I have(small amount :)) It makes me feel good to help someone out if I can.

wayland

Aug 9, 2012
I feel good helping people and I also need some help on some stuff. No need in being mean to people.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pick a forum, any forum on TN and show me where there are so many of these questions that it has pushed other questions to bottom of forum..

You can set your page size to have as many threads as you wish, mine is set to 50, jeffs is 100..

Bottom line is members can be respectful towards our new members and obey our rules....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread