since when does a density test mean nothin?

dan79

Greenie
Jul 24, 2012
hi all,
Just a quick question,
I found what i believed to be a plat. nugget.
Non- magnetic, streak test correct, bubbles in peroxide, 22kt acid test does not affect it,
and a density of 19.
I went to a local jewlery store and ask the guy behind the counter to drop some plat. test acid on it. He responded " i dont have any" then iu ask him to take a look at it. He said it wasent anything good. I told him about the acid test and the desity test and he responded"they mean nothing" any opions on how to figure out what i have?

TreasureWriter

Nov 13, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like the jeweler didn't know how to test it. Maybe he was just a salesman and not a real jeweler. Often platinum nuggets are found where gold is found. If it is the correct specific gravity then you probably have something. Just curious....did he offer to take it off of your hands for a couple of bucks? When I was young I had a diamond ring that I took to a jeweler that told me it was glass but he'd give me a few bucks for the setting. I declined and took it to another jeweler and it was in fact a 1/3 carat diamond in an 18 karat setting. It was a well known jewelry store in Pittsburgh that hock's jewelry. They thought that because I was a kid they could rip me off. Be careful who you take your finds to.

Cheers
:occasion14:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since when does a density test mean nothin' :icon_scratch:

Hmmm, probably since time immemorial..., but then again, what for I know :dontknow: :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread