Help on picking 1st MD

2kwik4u2

Tenderfoot
Aug 24, 2012
california
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, all! I have read so many opinions on good 1st time detectors my head is spinning. Here's my situation. 1. Beginner 2. Not a big budget (200.00 - 300.00) 3. Will do this as a family hobby (myself, my wife, and two boys 8 & 13) 4. Mostly the beach but some campsites/parks/ghost towns (are there hybirds?) 5. Need to find enough items to buy a second/third/fourth MD (that's the goal).

O.K. let the debate begin......

Thanks for your opinions8-)

nowwhat

Jun 1, 2006
CENTRAL ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic lll
here's what I would do, don't go overboard on your first M/D, buy either the Garret Ace 250 or if you can stretch a little, the Ace 350. you have to start somewhere and these are excellent machines with good resale value. I use a White, and have used a inexpensive ($300) SL Classic III for 12 years now, it is a great little unit for coins, etc. but today, if starting out, I'd go with the Garret Ace 250 or 350 .

A/CMan

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ace250 would be a greater machine to get,AC

A/CMan

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A/CMan said:
Ace250 would be a greater machine to get,AC

I meant great machine! I hate iPhones sorry for typo.

OP
OP

2kwik4u2

Tenderfoot
Aug 24, 2012
california
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A/C Man and now what, thanks for your replies. The Garret Ace 250 is recommended a lot on this forum and during my research it looked right for us. The only thing I am concerned about is getting the MD a little wet. Now I am not going to go in need deep water, but will this MD handle a little salt water (4" to 6") or do I have to use it on dry sand only?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It isn't designed for salt water, it works great on dry beach sand but anything that has been under water will drive it nuts. Saltwater is full of minerals. 250 will think it is surrounded by metal. You need a detector for saltwater to do that and their prices are a lot higher.

A/CMan

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will handle beaches just lower the sens alittle so it's stable, as for water proof it hard to get one thats WP under 300.00 that's a vlf without spending more money, but in general hunting the 250 is a pick that want break the piggy bank, your welcome, GL & HH AC

OP
OP

2kwik4u2

Tenderfoot
Aug 24, 2012
california
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O.K. the 250 will not work in water, how about wet sand? You are right A/CMan, I want to pick up some expierence before I go to a more expensive model. As I read the forum threads, I see I will need a pointing device, can these get wet?

A/CMan

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now the ace 350 has a DD coil which sees less ground coverage so that would help in away plus it does have a higher frequency but wet sand will still false some, ur welcome GL& HH AC

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, its like this here you see........if you must get it wet, get a detector that is waterproof. Accidents happen so maybe you dont really want to get it wet. Consider a used detector from someone you trust that will save you some change also. Since you described about 90% of metal detecting, no one detector will fill that order. Get the most detector you can afford is my suggestion. I am very happy with my Bounty Hunter and my Fisher detectors. Kellyco has a area you can compare detectors and prices. If you have a local shop that sells detectors, I would visit them and ask for a demonstration. I will share that you need to put a few sets of battery's through what ever you decide to get a feel for it. Some detectors require a lot of understanding how they work so you can get the most out of them. If I had bought my Fisher before my Bounty Hunter i probably would have smashed it. The low end Bounty Hunter is durable, simple to use, and produced results. But I got tired of digging pennys and wondering where all the silver went. It also had no pinpoint feature. The BH had 2 knobs and one was the on switch lol.

I needed 2 tones, a pinpointer built in, a large VDI screen, and so much more. Also you need to find out what detectors work best in your soil conditions, not hard to find out. If your not happy with the beep and dig detectors at the Big 5 Sporting Goods store. Consider a Tesero, Garret, Minelab, and my favorite, Fisher. Some other things to think about is weight, and battery consumption. Good Luck, hope this helps.

OP
OP

2kwik4u2

Tenderfoot
Aug 24, 2012
california
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casca, thank you for your great tips. I think I will concentrate on dry land first as my budget will dictate this but hope to get a WP detector once I get comfortable. I keep reading about pinpointing probes. Anybody have any thoughts on these hand held devices? Does a newbie like me need one? Any band names/recommendations? What is cost range?

OP
OP

2kwik4u2

Tenderfoot
Aug 24, 2012
california
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, nowwhat! Does anybody have a suggestion on model? What is the price range for a mid level pointer? Ebay shows any where from $20.00 to $130.00 for a Garrett.

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put out the money for the garrett pro pointer, It's a good unit and will pay for itself shortly.jmho

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just buy an AT Pro & be done with it!

Last edited:

russ

Jul 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
fieldmaster fx 55 c scope cs 4pi
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I use an an old fieldmaster fx 55 detector I picked up for 40 quid.Found loads with it ,roman coins etc,took a while to learn about ground tuning , and keeping it in tune,also how to use the right sensitivity for the different conditions.Although this may sound complicated, compared to a switch and go machine, I feel you learn much more with this sort, plus you can use it on a beach if you alter the sensitivity correctly.My mate has a garrett 250 and prob finds less than me,and doesnt get quite as deep.
As for salt water or any water most coils are waterproof ,but if you,re worried put a plastic bag over it and tape it to the stem.Always rinse the salt water off when you get home and clean the machine .Good luck anyway hope you find lots.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I'd bypass buying at least the first detector, that should eliminate the problem. Just start with #2, or 3 :icon_thumright:

If you think it's a joke, it's not. Your greatest detector is your eyesight. If you're not finding things on a daily basis, then I'd say work on that. Not a day goes by where I don't find money, or jewelry and a detector isn't necessary :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions