POLL: Abandoned Houses

Dihren

Jun 13, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a thought, when you are out on a trip or something in the country and you see a old abandoned house falling apart hidden in the woods or in a field near the road, who is just dying to go look through it and metal detect the grounds??? It drives me crazy! Anyway, just interested to see what others think.

HH,
Dihren

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Dihren said:
Just a thought, when you are out on a trip or something in the country and you see a old abandoned house falling apart hidden in the woods or in a field near the road, who is just dying to go look through it and metal detect the grounds??? It drives me crazy! Anyway, just interested to see what others think.

HH,
Dihren

I don't mess with private property. Only with permission.

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ME! ME! ME! When I see that, I could care less about detecting-I just want to roam around inside/outside all over. I love architecture and thoughts of who lived there throughout the different time periods since it was built, how they lived, etc. Love finding the surface junk that is laying around and wondering people would have left it there (but then again what is cool to us history buffs was everyday crap to those who lived back then, just as our crap will probably be interesting to those who come after us).

When I was 14, I lived down the street from an abandoned Victorian farm house. For the year I lived there, that house was our hangout. We set-up the least creepy room (a bright bedroom on the second floor) as our place and brought featherbeds down from the attic, moved little tables from the barn and I decorated the walls with my poetry and drawings. Even had ashtrays like proper adults : ) We searched that house the best we knew how back then (probably missed tons of stuff!). There were two bedrooms upstairs that were creepy as hell-stayed dark and wet and dreary no matter what it was like outside. The attic was so big and open and wonderful (my friend found a chemise up there that she actually wore here and there).

One New Years' Eve we decided to go to the house with the usual crew but also with a guy we didn't know well. Although we had been to the house numerous times at night and rarely felt even a little scared, that night the house practically spit us out, it was so uncomfortable. We never knew why, until a few year's later when the guy we didn't know well turned out to be a psycho and did some horrible things-seems like the house knew and didn't want him there.....

Anyway...ME! ME! ME! : )

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't mess with private property. Only with permission.

Very true! Also look very carefully for signs that no one is living there-see an earlier post of mine in Comedy Central : )

OP
OP
D

Dihren

Jun 13, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yah I really could care less to about metal detecting there even though I love doing it. Thanks so much for sharing Catobra!! Thats incredible!! And yah, always a good idea to make sure no one is living there and you have permission if you ever do. Love your story Catobra!! I feel exactly the same!

the bone

Jul 8, 2012
michigan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very true! Also look very carefully for signs that no one is living there-see an earlier post of mine in Comedy Central : )

That reminds me of a time my wife and I were looking at a house for sale we drove out to the house and the place looked abandoned no cars in the drive no curtains on the windows not even furniture in the house. The place sits on five acres so we start walking around exploring the grounds checking out out buildings which all were completely empty btw, finally we go up to the house put our faces up to the big picture window and Bam out of the darkness a very pale ancient looking man appears out of the darkness we totally freaked! Ran off of that property so fast! Any way we talked to the realtor and he said no one has lived in the house for years! He took us on a formal tour and there definitely was no one living there... we never did buy the house.

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That reminds me of a time my wife and I were looking at a house for sale we drove out to the house and the place looked abandoned no cars in the drive no curtains on the windows not even furniture in the house. The place sits on five acres so we start walking around exploring the grounds checking out out buildings which all were completely empty btw, finally we go up to the house put our faces up to the big picture window and Bam out of the darkness a very pale ancient looking man appears out of the darkness we totally freaked! Ran off of that property so fast! Any way we talked to the realtor and he said no one has lived in the house for years! He took us on a formal tour and there definitely was no one living there... we never did buy the house.

Now that's creepy! Uh yeah, I wouldn't have bought it either : )

the bone

Jul 8, 2012
michigan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also i do the same thing in fact everytime our family takes a trip we try to take "the scenic route" at least part of the way just to see old homesteads and abandoned buildings as we drive by i've even marked a few in the gps around here to get permission to detect once the grass/weeds die down in the fall.

DeerStalker

May 11, 2012
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I drive by them all the time and wonder what treasures might be hidden there. Never actually got out and checked though. I'm also one of those that won't check it out without permission....but believe me, the urge is there.

OP
OP
D

Dihren

Jun 13, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also i do the same thing in fact everytime our family takes a trip we try to take "the scenic route" at least part of the way just to see old homesteads and abandoned buildings as we drive by i've even marked a few in the gps around here to get permission to detect once the grass/weeds die down in the fall.
Good idea! Unfortunately my dad has no interest in old abandoned buildings, and I am still to young to drive! Once I am old enough though, thats what I will be doing!

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other

HH,
Dihren

Yes and I hunt them. In the places I go in Europe, abandoned means State property. With an excavation permit you can not enter the main house but the rest is all yours.

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
I found a house that the roof caved in on but I could still access the backdoor. I walked in and the first room was the kitchen. There were still food in the circa 1940 fridge and there was a stack of old magazines..probably 100-200 total. I grabbed a few and they were all old Saturday Evening Post, Look, Life from the 30's and 40's. I also found a huge stack of old (teens through 30's) birthday,Easter, and Christmas cards. The house is still sitting there in the middle of the woods getting worse every year. I might go see if I can find some more stuff.

got2dig

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2012
Mid-Tenn
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found a house that the roof caved in on but I could still access the backdoor. I walked in and the first room was the kitchen. There were still food in the circa 1940 fridge and there was a stack of old magazines..probably 100-200 total. I grabbed a few and they were all old Saturday Evening Post, Look, Life from the 30's and 40's. I also found a huge stack of old (teens through 30's) birthday,Easter, and Christmas cards. The house is still sitting there in the middle of the woods getting worse every year. I might go see if I can find some more stuff.

Yep back I go. Just look the floors over and don't fall in!

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i see places all the time falling apart that i would love to get in but never know about finding out how

BeachComber7

May 12, 2012
Treasure Coast-Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer and Tesoro deLeon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When i see old, abandoned falling down structures like homes or barns, i am always dying to get over there and check it out! Safety is a concern though as many are just so dilapidated. I have hunted one or two though.

the bone

Jul 8, 2012
michigan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i see places all the time falling apart that i would love to get in but never know about finding out how

I know what you mean i wish there was some sort of search site on the web where you could type in gps coordinates and it would tell you the current property owners of that location. right now i have to door knock on neighboring houses and ask around. I've got quite a bit of woods and fields i've gotten permission to hunt this fall but the site i REALLY REALLY want to hunt i'm having a hard time tracking down the landowner.

got2dig

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2012
Mid-Tenn
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When i see old, abandoned falling down structures like homes or barns, i am always dying to get over there and check it out! Safety is a concern though as many are just so dilapidated. I have hunted one or two though.

Me to but the ones that I have been in I have permission, most well say yes. but I do know them. and allways be safe

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Owners can be found with a quick trip to the Property assessors office in the county. Usually will give me a phone number as well. I have not been kind about tresspassers on my properties which I kept well posted.....would expect no less from another land owner. Sold the farm here while back but usually gave permission to fish pond etc. when ask. No huniting as my family hunts and put time and money in it for us. Love the old homes and more often than not can obtain permission by asking.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread