Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has any/everyone had to deal with interference? (I'm guessing that's what's causing it) My pointer will turn on then as soon as I start searching the hole, sometimes, it just starts singing. Mostly an annoying tune and to itself. Take it out of the hole, point even at the sky and it won't shut up! Until I turn off/on.

Is that interference? Ground mineralization? A bad pointer?

Any ideas welcomed!

Thanks!

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the same issue occasionally, I just do what you do and turn it off and back on. I have it happen sometimes when I'm near a large signal, a pipe or something. I can't say for sure what causes it.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never had it happen in two years I've had the Propointer. It will start acting erratic and making noise though if it needs a new battery. Did you try changing yours?

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro, pro pointer, lesche digger
I honestly feel that the propointer gets too much depth, but it is a great tool though....would never metal detect without one

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never had it happen in two years I've had the Propointer. It will start acting erratic and making noise though if it needs a new battery. Did you try changing yours?

Not the battery, I think. I've got the same symptoms with a new battery.

Do you hunt around many overhead wires? I'm thinking it's picking up some sort of electronic interference.
Maybe I should wrap the thing up in aluminum foil. ;)

It seems to work fairly well, but having to turn it off and on so much it actually broke the switch! Had to have it replaced.

The battery seems to be tight enough too.

Just don't know. It is a real annoyance though. Sometimes I just pinpoint with the detector instead. (old school).

Thanks anyway!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I honestly feel that the propointer gets too much depth, but it is a great tool though....would never metal detect without one

Too much!?!? Mine only gets 2 inches at best! :icon_scratch:

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
WHADIFIND said:
Has any/everyone had to deal with interference? ...!

Yes, a few times. It got excited once when I laid it down (still turned on) on top of my digger. It would not settle down until it was recycled off then back on.

Do you have knee or hip replacements? I have a hip replacement and the Pro-Pointer knows it. <lol>

M

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Too much!?!? Mine only gets 2 inches at best! :icon_scratch:
I don't know what he means to much depth it only gets one and a half inches deep sometimes 2 inches in different soil type..Mine only did that when i needed new batterys...

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, a few times. It got excited once when I laid it down (still turned on) on top of my digger. It would not settle down until it was recycled off then back on.

Do you have knee or hip replacements? I have a hip replacement and the Pro-Pointer knows it. <lol>

M

Nope no metal in my body unless one considers the thick iron skull. ;)

When this happens it always seems to be no rhyme nor reason that I can see. I thought about the battery being loose, or worn down. One thing though, is that the soil tends to ground balance somewhere around 88-90 on an AT-PRO in my area. Could it possibly be that by working with this soil, (sometimes muddy), it might have coated the pointer and it gets confused by the mineralization? Is that even possible?

The pointer is a GREAT add to the hobby. BUT, if it's going to continue this, I'm afraid I either need another one, or maybe a different brand.

BaronH

Jul 15, 2008
I've had that problem a few times. Cycling power worked a few times. Twice now I have found bits of foil stuck in the compact dirt that tends to collect on the tip of my pin pointer. It makes it go nuts.

Sent from my Android using TreasureNet

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just a Little Point Of advise When You Buy Batteries Don't Go Cheap!!! There is a Slight Differance in the Size of the Batterys Trust Me It Makes A Differense Chug We Have Hasd the Same Issues A Better Battery Makes the Differance SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING SPELL CHECK IS NOT WORKING FOR US !!!! Chug ??????

Silverfinder99

Mar 23, 2012
Jacksonville AR
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a long shot but I haven't seen anyone else suggest this so here's my thought. Have you considered changing the frequency on your detector? Think about it, you're kneeling down, detectors on (unless your one of those diehards that try to get every second out of your batteries) and you set it down right next to the hole you're digging. Maybe your detectors frequency is interfering with your pinpointer? I use the AT Gold and the ProPointer so our conditions are similar but I haven't had any of the problems you're describing but hey you never know. Try changing your frequency, who knows maybe that'll fix it. Good luck I hope that helps

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a Little Point Of advise When You Buy Batteries Don't Go Cheap!!! There is a Slight Differance in the Size of the Batterys Trust Me It Makes A Differense Chug We Have Hasd the Same Issues A Better Battery Makes the Differance SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING SPELL CHECK IS NOT WORKING FOR US !!!! Chug ??????

But, you need to define "better battery". :icon_scratch: I use Eveready Heavy Duty. What have you found that works for you?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
OK i just thought of this i think some have said they took a little piece of foam a thin piece or a thin peice of anything so the cap pushes the battery down to make contact...........and put it in the battery cap before they screw it on... And it works for some... for some reason the batterys do not make contact after a while........And the foam pushes the battery down and it makes contact then....

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK i just thought of this i think some have said they took a little piece of foam a thin piece or a thin peice of anything so the cap pushes the battery down to make contact...........and put it in the battery cap before they screw it on... And it works for some... for some reason the batterys do not make contact after a while........And the foam pushes the battery down and it makes contact then....

That is a good idea. I should have mentioned that I've tried this too. Funny, it doesn't seem to tie to moving the pointer around. It just seems like when I initially find the item, it just starts going off, erratically. The only way to stop it is to reset.

I'm gonna have to be more aware of what's going on when it happens. See if it's motion or interference.

Thanks!

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
Here goes with another one of my obtuse thoughts: the pointer vibrates enough to eventually make the metal-to-metal contact area at the top of the battery sort of a metallic dust. I know for certain that dry metal parts rubbing together do form a molecular "dust". Whether or not this is significant enough to cause intermittent contact loss is purely hypothetical. Possibly the best way to see is to take a small alcohol swab across the battery contacts and the contacts inside the pointer too.

I second Keppy's suggestion about adding a tiny foam piece behind the battery to increase contact pressure.

I've mentioned before that my cat thinks the Pro-Pointer is very interesting. He is certain it is talking to him.

M

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
For a $160 pointer, you guys deserve better! I have 2 Harbor Freight $16 pinpointers. One is now about 1 1/2 years old the other is 6 mo old. They got bad mouthed so much I got a backup. Never had a problem with either. They have a sensitivity adjustment to allow use in different soil conditions. The both have the same pickup distance of a pro pointer, that is 1" on a dime and and up to 2" on larger objects. I have a real old, about 10 years old, Whites Bulls eye 1 that still works also, But I seldom use it. Since my hearing is fading, I have installed bright blue LED s on the pinpointers that light when they sense targets. Perhaps you guys should consider a HF for a cheap backup. Frank

PS , Chug, switch to Firefox, It has spell-check bundled and eliminates a lot of other problems. hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a bad coil. Call Garrett and they will send you a prepaid label for replacement. Same thing happened to me twice.

It takes about 2 weeks.

Tom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread