old fieldmaster fx series

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a few Fieldmaster detectors when they were a top brand (pre motion coming in). I still have a Searchman 2 motion machine as they were the first company to put a DD coil on a motion machine. Its never broken down, has retained its original depth and has a nice feature of a card insert in the control box telling you what the internal trimmers do so you can alter them yourself. You can tweak to improve depth or sensitivity in this way.

I had the FX 77 (two up the range from your machine). It was the opposition to the Arado 120, 120b and 130 that dominated European detecting at one time and worked in the same way of having a deep all metal primary search mode (so nothing was missed) with a discrimination meter acting at the same time with no need for any mode switching. Its plus over the Arado design was that they put a slight voltage imbalance through the coil which helped discriminate small iron in the all metal mode without the need to consult the meter.

Unfortunately I haven't seen a new Fieldmaster machine advertised in a long time but the Young brothers who made them would not be young anymore and may have retired by now. One of their machines I would not recommend was the F44 (pre the FX 44). I tried one on holiday in Cornwall and it didn't like the beach and on land it picked up tree roots. Not what you want when detecting in a wood !

OP
OP
R

russ

Jul 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
fieldmaster fx 55 c scope cs 4pi
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
fieldmasters

Thats good to hear Brian, I did bid on a fieldmaster fx 77 a few weeks ago spares or repair but I let it go once it went over twenty quid , just thought it could have been fixed up sounded like the battery wires needed renewing.Like you said though theres not many around now but decent tough machines though a bit heavier than modern ones

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes its a risk unless you can get two and even then they might have the same fault. It took me two years to get hold of a replacement coil for a Sensor 7K once and it failed six months later so it was start the search all over time once again ! Not fun.

fieldmaster

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Russ,
I wonder if you may still have your fieldmaster? and if so could you or anyone else help me with mine. I am totally novice here not ever having owned or used any metal detector in the past. I know only what I have read on the various related sites and am aware of the fieldmaster limitations especially so since the machine I have FX55 is more than 30 yrs old. I would be greatful if anyone can help with a copy of user manual or point me in the correct direction. Alternatively anywhere I would be able to find out about the spcific controls to using the FX 55

Kind Regards

hfiske

May 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Russ,
I wonder if you may still have your fieldmaster? and if so could you or anyone else help me with mine. I am totally novice here not ever having owned or used any metal detector in the past. I know only what I have read on the various related sites and am aware of the fieldmaster limitations especially so since the machine I have FX55 is more than 30 yrs old. I would be greatful if anyone can help with a copy of user manual or point me in the correct direction. Alternatively anywhere I would be able to find out about the spcific controls to using the FX 55

Kind Regards

I'm in a slightly similar position as I've just retrieved my old FX55 from the loft and cleaned it up, the trouble is I last used it around 20 years ago and can't remember the basics of setting it up and using the controls to their best advantage so if anyone does have a copy of the user guide to hand I'd appreciate it as well!

OP
OP
R

russ

Jul 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
fieldmaster fx 55

Hi there mate just tuned in after ages and saw your message,the answer is yes I can help you I still use my fieldmaster which believe it or not is fx 55 ad it still works fine and has good depth and also with manual ground adjustmet can be tuned to gain slightly more depth.I also have the orignial manual and if you want to email your address Ill copy out or scan the section on operating the fx 55 model as it contains all the fx models.Cheers,I await your reply......(Ill also explain how to do it if youre not sure.)

OP
OP
R

russ

Jul 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
yes mate I have and use a fieldmaster fx 55 and a good machine it is,,send me a postal address for you and Ill scan the manual part for the fx 55 and mail it to you.cheers Russ.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They don't seem to be listed but I do have their last address if you want it. I would try a fax first

Fax and telephone number was 02084475918

Best of luck !

Last edited:

Eddie w

Nov 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for help just got hold of an old Fieldmaster FX77 but have no idea how to set it up have tried to get hold of a manual with no luck is there any way of getting hold of one or anybody who can tell me how to set it up many thanks

Eddie

Mariot

Apr 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I Have a Manual for the FX series. Happy to scan it and email it to you if you still require it.

I have an FX55 which the battery leads have fallen off. Does anyone have an FieldMaster FX55 that they would be happy to photograph where the each of the battery wire connect to.

Thanks

Mario

Nutmeg

Tenderfoot
May 20, 2018
London
Detector(s) used
Used to use Fieldmaster FX44,
Rimatron? Viking x2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, I have a Fieldmaster FX44 that needs repairing .
I am quite confident of doing this myself ( electronics is my thing!)...but I need a circuit diagram .
When you guys say you got a manual for the FX series, does it have any technical information?
Many years ago c.1983 someone attempted a repair and their effort leaves a bit to be desired?
I have used this Detector with my late father back in the early eighties, ( with a wonderful little Viking!), so it’s also got sentimental value.
I would love to repair this detector and hear the “drift” before pressing the little button on the handle to reset it!
Never very good at the beach/water, but excellent in open pasture!
Hope someone could help ...even a user manual might help...I’m happy to cover any costs involved!
Regards,
Thank you for reading this.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, I have a Fieldmaster FX44 that needs repairing...but I need a circuit diagram...even a user manual might help...
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Nutmeg! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country). You might also consider adding your state (or country) to your displayed profile (SETTINGS -> EDIT PROFILE) so if you ask a question, etc. - people may have more success helping you (if necessary)...
tn_link.gif
2nd - I searched
tn_02.gif
and found FIELDMASTER FX 44 INSTRUCTION MANUAL

Nutmeg

Tenderfoot
May 20, 2018
London
Detector(s) used
Rimatron? Viking x2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vpnavy, thank you for your prompt reply ...profile amended as ordered?

The link you supplied does not appear contain the requested manual, nor does the referred site ?

The Fx 44 is similar to the Fx55 except the latter has a "meter " display attached..

I would be happy with any information/ circuit diagrams of either , even a good quality photograph of the PCb would be helpful,

Regards,

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, I have a Fieldmaster FX44 that needs repairing .
I am quite confident of doing this myself ( electronics is my thing!)...but I need a circuit diagram .
When you guys say you got a manual for the FX series, does it have any technical information?
Many years ago c.1983 someone attempted a repair and their effort leaves a bit to be desired?
I have used this Detector with my late father back in the early eighties, ( with a wonderful little Viking!), so it’s also got sentimental value.
I would love to repair this detector and hear the “drift” before pressing the little button on the handle to reset it!
Never very good at the beach/water, but excellent in open pasture!
Hope someone could help ...even a user manual might help...I’m happy to cover any costs involved!
Regards,
Thank you for reading this.

I am afraid your going to be out of luck for schematics, manufactures do not give out their schematics. I have never seen a user manual that had schematics in it. You may want to look at getting a new detector.

Nutmeg

Tenderfoot
May 20, 2018
London
Detector(s) used
Rimatron? Viking x2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter , thank you for your reply .

A new Detector would ,of course,be the answer. The sight of this lovely detector with it's associated little bag of "removed electronic components " standing in the corner of my shed/workshop, all alone , waiting for me to repair it !

Well I will try and get it working again! Determined to do it! Would love a pic of the main board ...only 4 screws holding the case together! A quick picture , close it up again ! Not at all difficult.

Thanks to everyone who has read this ....I'll keep up updated as it comes back to life!
Regards, Tim.

Nutmeg

Tenderfoot
May 20, 2018
London
Detector(s) used
Rimatron? Viking x2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oops! ... Even easier only 1 screw to undo!�� The over tilts forwards not at all a problem..

Sorry for the confusion ��.

Regards,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions