MINELAB short man syndrome

jcCALIF

Jun 13, 2012
Yorba Linda
Detector(s) used
TDI PRO, VX3, Surfmaster PI PRO, TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minding my own business, working the beach the other day with my White’s TDI Pro. I ran into a retired physicist and his MINELAB detector. He ask me why I using the TDI Pro, I explained that this pulse induction detector had produced the best on the beach. He explained why his Full Band Spectrum detector would work on many frequencies and would out do my TDI Pro. I smiled and explained that in my experience VLF machines are a pain to use in highly mineralized terrain, hence I go pulse.

He asked me, “what you got today?” I pulled a men’s steel ring and a Catholic silver necklace (and course plenty of clad in my pocket). I asked him “what you got today?” He pulled out only clad in his pocket and said he was only looking for money today. “Ahhhhh…..,” I said to myself, “MINELAB short man syndrome.”

A week goes by, I’m working the negative low tide minding my own business. Another MINELAB detectorist comes by. He asks, “why the TDI PRO?” I say, “pulse induction rocks!” He says (I kid you not) “You don’t know what you are talking about.” At this point, I had several earrings and a bracelet in my pocket (including clad coins). And I said to this non-believer, “my pocket has jewelry and clad in it, what is in your pocket?” He said I was being ridiculous since he had only been there 20 minutes. I said, “okay, I’ll see you in 2 hours then.” Never saw him again. “Ah hah,” I said to myself, “MINELAB short man syndrome strikes again.”

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
jcCALIF said:
Minding my own business, working the beach the other day with my White’s TDI Pro. I ran into a retired physicist and his MINELAB detector. He ask me why I using the TDI Pro, I explained that this pulse induction detector had produced the best on the beach. He explained why his Full Band Spectrum detector would work on many frequencies and would out do my TDI Pro. I smiled and explained that in my experience VLF machines are a pain to use in highly mineralized terrain, hence I go pulse.

He asked me, “what you got today?” I pulled a men’s steel ring and a Catholic silver necklace (and course plenty of clad in my pocket). I asked him “what you got today?” He pulled out only clad in his pocket and said he was only looking for money today. “Ahhhhh…..,” I said to myself, “MINELAB short man syndrome.”

A week goes by, I’m working the negative low tide minding my own business. Another MINELAB detectorist comes by. He asks, “why the TDI PRO?” I say, “pulse induction rocks!” He says (I kid you not) “You don’t know what you are talking about.” At this point, I had several earrings and a bracelet in my pocket (including clad coins). And I said to this non-believer, “my pocket has jewelry and clad in it, what is in your pocket?” He said I was being ridiculous since he had only been there 20 minutes. I said, “okay, I’ll see you in 2 hours then.” Never saw him again. “Ah hah,” I said to myself, “MINELAB short man syndrome strikes again.”

Well this ought to be interesting.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes it will be interesting...... You will either get a lot of flack from the ones that think Minelab is the God of detectors...... Or they will not say any thing for they are stumped..........YOU KNOW THE MINELAB CULT...

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I use the TDI, and a modified Beach Scan, and a Deepstar and when its raining a Whites Dual Field and try to average two rings each week. Sand has been deep recently even for the more powerful pulse machines and rain has been very heavy. This meant that to get my rings this week I had to switch to a Minelab Sovereign and work the areas where streams had cut through the sand almost down to the hardpack. The P.I.'s were not the best choice as the iron and general rubbish was so bad. The Sovereign worked fine, did the business and being almost set and forget I could switch on and close my waterproofs over the control box. If I had not lent out my Beach Hunter I.D. it would have done just as well being twin frequency and waterproof.

Limit yourself to one detector brand or type and it costs finds. If I had been using a Minelab BBS or FBS I would have agreed you had the depth advantage but the Minelab user will be digging less bad targets and covering more ground so could be the winner at the end of the day.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing9: I get such a laugh out of these types of posts :laughing9:

There isn't machine out there that is 100% accurate, period. Funny thing is that what your machine may pick up as trash and you pass, just may be the find of the century that you passed by :laughing7: Now if you want to argue and say you dig it anyway, why even mention how accurate it is to begin with :icon_scratch:

Sorry, but I'm not into labels to impress.. OK, I lied. My machine is made up from old Campbell's chicken noodle soup cans, with an extra large plastic garbage can lid to cover more area :icon_thumright: You can have the cheapest machine on the market and as long as it finds metal, you're good to go.

It's only a hobby and the idea is to have fun and perhaps find something interesting along the way :laughing7:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
For me it is not about ego and I am far from short. It is the right tool for the right job and only that. I have even had all walks of hunters tell me that GPR unit just does not get the job done.

Minelab has its proper locations to hunt like many machines, just as they can have the wrong locations.

Those bloke you ran into sound like city boy yuppies. Good for nothing other than a good chat up.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is my opinion that a side-by-side "test" of two different machines only tests two different "techniqes", not machines. A person's abilities and experience goes a long way to proving which machine is best. TTC

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It really comes down to knowing your machine more than anything. As long as I can discern what the blips, tweets and burps coming from my machine means, that's all that matters. You can spend all the money in the world on a detector, but if you don't learn it's language it won't do you any good.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can spend all the money in the world on a detector, but if you don't learn it's language it won't do you any good.

You can surely learn its language and that will help, but there are always a few words you'll just have to look up :laughing7:

That's why I dig everything :laughing9:

jimzilla

May 6, 2012
You have to walk over it to find it!!! Period!!! I must admit though that the ML are probably the best detectors out there...at least thats my opinion. I am only speaking of land use and not water use. As this topic is only comparing water use, I will not pass judgement.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
jc-calif, what you're saying (about pulse vs vlf) may be true of certain beaches in So. CA where some of those beaches (dockweiler, for instance) may have gun-powder black sand...... and it may be true of some of your "bay-watch" style beaches where there's only touristy stuff, and not a lot of iron, but what you're saying ends there. In fact, I can image if you got some great storm erosion around some of those older piers, that created conditions where targets were fast and furious (and depth became a non-issue), that what you're saying would also not apply.

Here where I'm at in CA (Monterey bay beaches, about 5 hrs. north of you), we have beaches that have industrial type history (generations of burned down wharves, fishing and commercial pasts, etc...), and others that allow beach bonfires (that introduce nails via people burning pallets), and a beach I can think of where the nails are super thick d/t harbor dredging (where the pump the sand out on to the adjacent beach). Thus I have seen smug people like yourself, show up with their pulse machines, happy that they're going to a) go super deep, b) have sensitivity to even the daintiest earing studs, etc.... c) confident they can waltz through all/any minerals, d) "not miss anything". Yet those smug hunters are sent packing when their ratios of conductive targets to iron reaches 20 to 1 :( Oh sure, they'll even brag "I can tell nails apart from conductive targets just by sound". But when you watch them, you see that "nagging doubts" have them digging quite a few "just to make sure". And of course we all know that bent nails will not give you the tell-tale audio clues. And also you'd have to wonder if an elongated gold stick pin, or elongated necklace might also give you the "nail" sound anyhow.

Now with all that said, I have seen a few pulse guys do ok on beaches with nails (ie.: they pass a lot of them and tromp my conductive target count by the end of the hunt). But even that one exceptional hunter I've seen do that, will admit that he too will simply leave some beaches that are riddled with nails, and will go look for "greener grounds".

One time I was under Manhattan pier near you, after a gully-wash rain had cut a channel right under that pier. The resulting sand was jet black. My vlf would barely cut through it! But giving it my best effort, I was able to pull coins (including oldies like wheaties and silver). The zone was riddled with nails (which were so numerous they resembled toothpicks lying all over the ground). Along comes a guy working his way down the beach. He was using a Whites beach pulse. As we greeted and talked, he could see that I was in a good spot (as the rest of the beach was practically sterile this day). I told him he was welcome to join me in my zone, but warned him it's full of nails, so perhaps he wasn't going to be able to. He proudly said "I can tell the difference by sound". So he proceeded to go at it. He lasted about 5 minutes, and bailed.

So you see, your analysis is not quite so simple as you make it out to be.

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ohmygoodness said:
U.K. brian,

i personally believe that reading your post on this particular site for the last few years i have come to the conclusion that you are the most intelligent metal detector hobbyist on any site i have visited. Thank you for sharing your knowledge. you are impressive with all your post, and it seems as if you are not even trying to be impressive. treasurenet should absolutely appreciate your participation.

???

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spartacus53 said:
sonofadigger, that's only because he didn't read my posts :laughing9:

He said he has read it last couple years and he has only 3 post who is this guy really

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spartacus53 said:
a very slow writer :tongue3:

lol something seems fishy with this guy

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
sonofadigger said:
lol something seems fishy with this guy

Ohmygoodness is this guy that called himself attempted recovery. He got banned and came back as ohmygoodness.

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ah ha i knew something didnt seem right

TENNESSEEGAL

Aug 20, 2005
Oak Ridge, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Minelab Excalabur 11
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
“MINELAB short man syndrome strikes again"