A REAL PIRATES TREASURE TALE * LUIS AURY OF AMELIA ISLAND - ($60,000) IN 1817 MONEY

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
In oct of 1817 the pirate / or south american freedom fighter (depending upon your point of veiw) LUIS AURY took over the island of fernandina , florida (its a historically documented fact that he did)

while on his way to amelia island, florida from texas , aurys small fleet captured a spanish slaving vessel named the ISABELITA OWNED BY A SPANISH FELLOW NAMED MADRAZO * THAT HAD 95 SLAVES ABOARD HER.

upon Aury's capture of fernandina , he set up "court" and using "letters of marqee" issued by mexico and venezula (who were at the time rebelling against spian )* declared the slave ship and 95 slaves a "war prize"--- the 95 slaves were sold to a man from georgia named BOWDEN for the sum of $60,000 in 1817 funds at amelia island

bowden then took the slaves westward from amelia island nto what was then "west florida" in doing so he entered into what the US at the time concidered "american territory" and since farther importing of afican slaves into america had been banned by law in 1803 * the slaves were taken from bowden by georgia troops and handed over to the govenor of geogia for "handling"

the govenor sold some of the slaves at public sale * and freed some of them by giving them to the freedmans group --the "original" slave ship and slave owner (MADRAZO) UPON FINDING OUT THAT HIS SLAVES HAD BEEN SOLD / GIVEN AWAY BY THE GOVENOR OF GA --FILED SUIT IN THE GEORGIA COURTS AGAINST THE GOVENOR * claiming that upon the state of georgia finding his "stolen property" (the slaves) that he should have been notified and his "property" returned to him.

bowden tried to use a bill of sale that he got when he bought the 95 slaves from LUIS AURY * to claim ownership of the slaves and stated that at the time of his arrest with the slaves that he was in weest florida thus not in the USA at all. (the courts held that LUIS AURY was nothing but a pirate and that as such the sale of the 95 slaves was a "illegal" sale of stolen goods --so bowden had "no case"

why is this important ? --because in just 2 months time in dec of 1817 , the us govt raided amelia island capturing LUIS AURY * when he was captured the $60,000 was not on him or his vessels -- SINCE aury had total control of the islsnd he did not need to "buy" anything so where did the $60,000 go? after being hed fo ra couple of months while the us govt tried to figger out a way to legally charge and hang him (which they failed at --being he never raided american ships , and never allowed any pirate that raided american ships to dock at amelia island --nor did he smuggle goods directly --he just sold goods to the smugglers --what they did with it after he sold the goods was between them and the us govt aury said * -- so 2 months later he was set free (broke) and told never to return upon pain of been hung if he did.

aury died 3 years later in 1821 after being thrown from a horseon a island in the caribbean , not ever known to have ever returned to amelia island

to date as best as anyone knows --no one has found LUIS AURYS --$60,000 DOLLAR SLAVE MONEY STASH -- 60,000 IN SPANISH SILVER AT THE MELT VALUE OF 1 (1817) SPANISH SILVER PESO / 8 REALES/ DOLLAR = $30 WORTH OF SILVER AT TODAYS PRICES IS 1.8 MILLION DOLLARS( in addition aury was "taxing" all stolen goods from other pirates raiding spanish vessels that docked and sold hot goods in fernandina at the rate of 1/6th of the sale price (these stolen goods were being sold cheaply to folks coming across the fla /ga border causing a huge loss of bussiness for the wealthy georgia importing traders and custom taxes on booze and other items which is why the US GOVT raided the island)

this is real treasure with a "provible" documented to exist history these are the tales worth checking into.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
sadly most likely area of the burial spot of the chest / treasure trove is on "privately owned" land -who's land owner hates treasure hunters with a passion.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
unfortunately the land owner probably has cause to hate TH'ers. have you shared this info with owner? would make for a good conversation over coffee.

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
yes i have offered a fair deal if he would allow me to search for it -- still no go -- ps the guy is rich ,rich, rich and owns most of old town fernadina near the old fort san carlos which was where luis aury stayed while ne "ruled" the island -- the treasure most likely was hidden within visual range of the fort --so that aury could see if anyone was messing with his booty --it would not have been onboard one of the ships since all the other pirates would have to do is to set sail with it ( which had alkready happened to aury once before --his men mutiney and beat him and threw him overboard thinking him dead --he floated to shore and lived thru it) -- the owner knows absolutely nothing about metal detecting or treasure hunting and veiws treasure hunters as "scum" --he and I both belong to the local historical society

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ivan, stick with this man, I got a feeling it will all pan out.. let him see what good you do in the historical society and that my friend might just give him a change of heart on how he feels. I will follow this one for sure. great treasure tale for sure too Ivan.

CPGs1

Greenie
Feb 23, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes i have offered a fair deal if he would allow me to search for it -- still no go -- ps the guy is rich ,rich, rich and owns most of old town fernadina near the old fort san carlos which was where luis aury stayed while ne "ruled" the island -- the treasure most likely was hidden within visual range of the fort --so that aury could see if anyone was messing with his booty --it would not have been onboard one of the ships since all the other pirates would have to do is to set sail with it ( which had alkready happened to aury once before --his men mutiney and beat him and threw him overboard thinking him dead --he floated to shore and lived thru it) -- the owner knows absolutely nothing about metal detecting or treasure hunting and veiws treasure hunters as "scum" --he and I both belong to the local historical society

Hey ivan,

Very interesting story. I know the owner won't let treasure hunters in, but we are a production company for the Travel Channel, and I was wondering if you could pass his contact info on to me so I can try getting this on camera and either proving/disproving the existence of the treasure.

Would you be willing to help me out? We might even be able to bring you on board and have you be on camera.

My contact info is below, please reach out directly.

omar daouk
Associate Producer
Critical Content / Travel Channel
o. 323-272-2450
c. 617-230-7840
e. [email protected]

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Guy is "rich rich rich"... GEE I wonder where his wealth originated. heh

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
update * --upon father research -- I think I might have a ideal of where the bulk of the $ 60,000 in gold / silver paid for the slaves went ... it seems that Aury was in a bit of a bind ...he needed to pay off the men that made up his "Army" ...basially "hired guns" that helped him take over the island from the Spanish ...so he used a good bit of the loot to pay off his men...it was the balance that he buried before being taken by us forces that is of interest and would be highly valuable still..

in the 1930's a local newspaper said that some "treasure coins" were found by local men on Amelia Island in the area close by were Aury was captured ...however there is a 1715 era treasure wreck in nearby Nassau sound ..that could have also been the source of the found treasure coins --the dates on the found coins could tell which what was the source of the treasure coins found...

Last edited:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the owner is rich, rich, and more rich, I can understand why he dislikes us, treasure hunter. There may had been crooks who dig without his permission. Good hunting and good luck.

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
update * --upon father research -- I think I might have a ideal of where the bulk of the $ 60,000 in gold / silver paid for the slaves went ... it seems that Aury was in a bit of a bind ...he needed to pay off the men that made up his "Army" ...basially "hired guns" that helped him take over the island from the Spanish ...so he used a good bit of the loot to pay off his men...it was the balance that he buried before being taken by us forces that is of interest and would be highly valuable still..

in the 1930's a local newspaper said that some "treasure coins" were found by local men on Amelia Island in the area close by were Aury was captured ...however there is a 1715 era treasure wreck in nearby Nassau sound ..that could have also been the source of the found treasure coins --the dates on the found coins could tell which what was the source of the treasure coins found...
Fernandina/Amelia Island has a long and interesting history that has had a least 8 different flags flown over it:
Florida's Historic Places: Fernandina and Amelia Island

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread