Tesoro smoked by a Bounty Hunter!?

D

daniel74868

My uncle and i just recently got addicted to Mding. I bought a Bountyhunter Quickdraw II from a pawn shop for fifty bucks, he went to a specialty shop and bought a four hundred dollar Teroso. yesterday was our first real Madding day. i was found five old wheat pennies within the first 10 minutes. he was digging junk. after i found about three more coins, he wanted to try my bounty hunter. with my bounty hunter, he started finding coins. so then we decided to test our md's out. i took my bounty hunter back and would mark where i got a hit so he could cross the same spot with his teroso. he did the same for me.
well, his teroso hit on 2 of my 7 flags, and my bounty hunter didnt make a sound on any of his flags. then we dug where our flags were placed. we found 7 coins under my seven flags, and nothing at all under his flags!!
so bounty hunters aren't as junky as everyone says.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Daniel,

Welcome aboard. Glad to have you with us.
Bounty Hunter does make some nice machines. I have a Tesoro and I'm thinking it could be possibly the settings. Maybe your uncle had a high discrimination. Just an idea. If any one else has another idea, please feel free to share.

Either way, they are both good machines and the important part is that you were outside spending quality time with your uncle. That is better than any treasure you can dig.

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
Or perhaps the Tesoro wasn't set up properly? NOT SAYING ANTHING BAD ABOUT BH, just suggesting an explanation for the scenario you just described.

Cal

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For it is written, a detector is only as good as the experienced arm that swings it.​

Attachments

• Scroll.gif
    Scroll.gif
    26.2 KB · Views: 437
  • Scroll.gif
    Scroll.gif
    26.2 KB · Views: 446

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no surprise ::)

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
$400 ? Did he get a Vaquero ? Does it have a manual ground balance, or is it preset ? Did he have the DISC turned all the way up to silver ?

tabfinder

Jul 9, 2006
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Nocta Simplex
Night Stalker said:
For it is written, a detector is only as good as the experienced arm that swings it.​
Night Stalker said it all....if it's set right...it will find it all....check your ground balance!

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I once used a Tesoro DeLeon but now my only machine is the Nautilus IIB.

But Tesoro does make great machines. If your $400 Tesoro was setup correctly and it was unable to beat the Bounty Hunter then something is wrong with that particular machine.

My DeLeon was like a coin vacuum cleaner down to about 8 inches. Larger relics down to 20 inches plus. I once dug a gold bracelet buried with a handful of square nails.

Yes, it's either adjustments or a defective machine.

Badger

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i agree with the others. sounds like he hasnt yet learned how to set it up. it should have at the very least gotten the same results as the bounty hunter, and in all honesty, it should have outperformed it by quite a bit. do another test in a few months after he has learned the machine.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with Badger and the others on the Tesoro not set up correctly or was defective somehow. Either way, have something go wrong with the BH and try to get it fixed. Even a few years down the road if a Tesoro needs service, it's FREE.

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
I borrowed My BH3300 to a friend and I used My GTI2500. I had found many coins with the BH
and the GTI2500 was brand new to Me. He found more coins by 3-1 that day. The BH is a
fairly east turn and go detector and the Garrett is too...but....many,many options and different
tones and indications!!Experience eventually helped Me beat him on coin counts,but He also
bought His own detector, with a learning curve.
Another thing is He is also just D**m good- a natural coin magnet!! A good Guy to have with!-LOL
Keep hunting and learning!!!

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
I have to agree with Badger and the others on the Tesoro not set up correctly or was defective somehow. Either way, have something go wrong with the BH and try to get it fixed. Even a few years down the road if a Tesoro needs service, it's FREE.

I agree Sandman....Heidi (Tesoro) is one fantastic person to work with, she sent me a free lower rod assembly, patch, bumper sticker and Tesoro Hat. I also made sure my serial number was on file....LIFETIME WARRANTY with that company. My Cortes was well worth the priceand hopefully, will be my last metal detector purchase. As far as a bounty hunter out-performing a Tesoro ...

:D :D :D :D :D

Plus, like you said mentioned, if you accidently run over your BH with your car, or drop it in a stream....try taking it back to the pawn shop or Walmart... ;D. Tesoro will have a good laugh, fix it (or replace it), tell you to be more careful, and ship you a new one, along with a bag of goodies.

Mojave

Nov 19, 2006
Louisville Colorado
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gemini III, Whites GMT, Bounty Hunters, Raytek & Aqua Survey
I agree - Bounty Hunters ROCK!!! I have used White's, Tesoro, Garrett's, Fisher, and a few little known brands, but the most success I have ever had was with a Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II that I got off of ebay for $120.00. I originally bought it as a back-up, but quickly found that I was simply finding more with it. I now have 2 Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II's, and use everything else as a back-up, or let my friends use them. The only thing that ever came close was the Fisher that I had once......

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little experience goes a long way, I agree. It is not always the machine but the the user who set it up. I have a BH 1100 and BH 3300. With the 1100 I dug a SLQ at about 10 - 11". The machine only reads down to about 8" I believe. The signal was a weak, one-sided and inconsistent tone. The only thing consistent about the whole dig was the inconsistency of the tone. I picked up the feel of those two machine rather quickly. Yes yes yes there are machines that are far better than our Bounty Hunters at getting the deep targets. At 10" a coin signal becomes a bit weak when it rests against a tree root and then tilts, hence a little bit of one sided tone. Just my experience. For 8" or shallower targets my two machines will get the job done fairly well. Hooooowever, my 3300 picked up a nickel and 7 wheats from an area in the back that I had swept two inches per sweep with the 1100. As there is no substitute for superior experience and there is also no substitute for a superior machine to go with it. I like my BH and probably won't get another until this one dies. GL and HH

Laater...

whitt459

Feb 20, 2006
i have to stand by my bh, ((a landstar)) with a 4in. coil will find gold down too about 4in. and after you learn the machine you can find about whatever you are lookin for,it's as good as any for the money you pay, whitt459

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread