New American Dollars!

Arakronn

Oct 13, 2005
De Pere/Green Bay Wisconsin
Doing away with $1 paper currency?
Imagine the bachelor parties....how do you tip strippers with $1 coins????????????
Try licking a coin and making it stick to your forehead. Ok...now go and pick it up before it rolls under something.

Alchemy

Nov 30, 2006
Beautiful Burnett county, WI
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arakronn said:
Doing away with $1 paper currency?
Imagine the bachelor parties....how do you tip strippers with $1 coins????????????
Try licking a coin and making it stick to your forehead. Ok...now go and pick it up before it rolls under something.
lol...inflation Arakronn! Don't you know that tipping strippers has gone up?
Heck, you gotta be tipping with $5's and $10's :o

Do you think they'll try to bring back the $2.00 bill now?

Mojave

Nov 19, 2006
Louisville Colorado
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gemini III, Whites GMT, Bounty Hunters, Raytek & Aqua Survey
"Mojave, don't know about you, but only one reason I can think of to have 100 $1 bills in my wallet."

Not me ;D ;D ;D ;D

I personally think they should have all dollar denominations in coins as well as paper....that would help the blind people, that would be good for collectors, the government, and us!!!!!!

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
Ive found one SBS dollar and one Sac dollar so Im all for the dollar coins. I tell ya who has it good are the Aussies,I think they have 2 and 5 dollar coins over there and Im sure they fling them all over same as the coins in the states...Shoot

Korban

Nov 2, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Xterra 30, Sov GT
I read that they are going to save money from the expense of not printing bills in comparison to coins. Also the US Treasury lost a legal battle with the Courts. Seems that the US bills are not up to standard. The blind cannot tell the difference between bills. So now they might have to make the bills differ sizes or with texture...pendind appeal of course. i dont know i think it would be cool to mix in some different thing into out money.

T

TreasureTales

Every time they change the money, some people pay the price (pun intended). Vending machines, bill changers, coin trays, coin wrappers, counterfeit scanners...all these things and more have to be changed. It costs lots of money to make these changes. Before we start thinking about how fun it is to see these new dollar coins or the changes in the size of the currency, let's try to see things in the eyes of those who will be impacted the most. I'm talking about the small business owners who will be paying for the changes required, people who often have a hard time making enough to stay open anyhow. The blind have had ways to discern which bills are in their wallets, it's been a good working system for them. What happens when they pay with a credit card? There is no size difference in their receipts, so how do they know they aren't being ripped off? This is pure folly, and more expense that seems pointless to me, but I guess I'm just an old fuddy-duddy...emphasis on the duddy part. :D

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Gee they (the mint) have been trying the tiny dollar coins (little bigger than a quarter) since 1979, and people still hate them. I wonder if they will ever get it, that a dollar coin ought to be bigger than a half dollar?

Paper money is "nice" and all that but coins don't burn and don't dissolve in a washing machine, I would take the coins over paper if we had real dollar coins sized like the old (and still popular) silver dollars. For that matter I don't know why they could not make gold and silver coins in larger dollar denominations, with silver running so high a ten dollar silver coin would be less than an ounce, a $100 gold coin would be around one sixth of an ounce. I agree and it is fact, the money we have been using is "fiat" currency un-backed by anything, and the dollar will continue to devalue until it is like the Lire of Italy were - a thousand dollars to buy a loaf of bread. It has happened with EVERY fiat currency through-out history, and we are only following the set pattern. Of course we are supposed to become the "cashless" society, and all use plastic money. But by golly we can't go to something sensible like a gold/silver standard, why think of what might happen! ::) :D ;)
Oroblanco

Korban

Nov 2, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Xterra 30, Sov GT
I just typed a response and then erased it on accident..DOH!

Basically the new coin is not going to replace dollar bills initially, it to see if they catch on. Soda vending machines already use these size dollar coins anyways.

The blind do not have a good way to tell bills on their own, besides a machine they can buy costs a rather large fee, and is not super reliable. Also the change in bills is not looking to change dollar bills, its looking to change the larger bills, which vending machines do not use.

Anyways, I do see the point that it can hurt small businesses, i also now that vending companies arent exactly hurting for money with the amount they bring in.

Just my 2 Cents

T

TreasureTales

It won't really matter one way or the other because the govenment will make the changes without our input. They do what they wanno do, and it doesn't matter which administration is in power. Enough of my bellyaching anyway...there's real treasure to be seen on this website!!!!

Korban

Nov 2, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Xterra 30, Sov GT
I agree. I enjoy the silver coins, and if i ever find one id enjoy a gold one too:)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread