Are you a prepper?

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think that our society is headed for chaos where our traditional systems of finance and infrastructure are disrupted? If so, do you have contingency plans in place as well as supplies to last you for an extended period of time and a way to protect your family?
I happen to collect guns and silver/gold coins for enjoyment but don't think that there is any possibility of that happening in our lifetime. I don't think that the "powers that be" would allow it to happen as they would have more to loose than most. When most of your wealth is just digital numbers or words on paper you have to ensure the status quo.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't care what you say. I have enough crunchy Cheetos, Pop Tarts, and M67's to last me!

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I came here for Dr Pepper, and I am disappointed.

K

Kentucky Kache

Do you think that our society is headed for chaos where our traditional systems of finance and infrastructure are disrupted? If so, do you have contingency plans in place as well as supplies to last you for an extended period of time and a way to protect your family?
I happen to collect guns and silver/gold coins for enjoyment but don't think that there is any possibility of that happening in our lifetime. I don't think that the "powers that be" would allow it to happen as they would have more to loose than most. When most of your wealth is just digital numbers or words on paper you have to ensure the status quo.

You don't think they would ALLOW it to happen? What if they can't stop it? You can go only so far in debt before something is required of you, so somewhere along the line, the fiddler wants his pay.

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
VOR, I'm quoting your note in split parts. Glad you initiated this thread. It needs to be addressed and discussed. If every voter would take the time to analyze the current economic situation, I would feel better about the future of this country. Sadly too few do any thinking at all. Listening to smooth political rhetoric is about as much "study" they feel is necessary.

"Do you think that our society is headed for chaos where our traditional systems of finance and infrastructure are disrupted?"

Yes. Why do I feel we are on an economic death spiral .... falling value of US dollar .... rapidly shrinking gross domestic product .... record personal loan failures .... unemployment at levels highest in over 40 years .... high rate of small business closures .... property taxes being raised to pay for burgeoning municipal retirement benefits .... US debt highest in history .... rapidly shrinking average household income ... smothering federal regulations on basic resource production .... largest number of bureaucrats in history .... weakest leadership in history .... largest number of terminally lazy entitlement recipients in history .... trade deficit (we buy more than we sell) .... imported energy when it is here but by regulation we can't exploit it .... constant erosion of personal freedoms ....

"If so, do you have contingency plans in place as well as supplies to last you for an extended period of time and a way to protect your family?"

Yes. Food, water, ammo for protection as well as barter material, precious metals for barter, RV fueled and ready to "go someplace safe".

"I happen to collect guns and silver/gold coins for enjoyment but don't think that there is any possibility of that happening in our lifetime."

You are in a better position than most. Good to have "personal protection" and some non-paper barter. I hope you are correct that we won't have an economic failure.

"I don't think that the "powers that be" would allow it to happen as they would have more to loose than most."

With this I disagree. The "powers" at some point will be without any means to stop a collapse. They might try to print more fiat money, lay on more regulations like food and fuel rationing, confiscate personal wealth, but it can't possibly CURE anything. We are very close to being broke, and can't support our non-productive society.

What will trigger a collapse? Any number of things, but the most serious is China. They could without as much as a hint, call for payment of our debt in real assets like gold, not fiat dollars. They have a lot to lose by playing hardball, but does their government worry about adversity?

"When most of your wealth is just digital numbers or words on paper you have to ensure the status quo."

Does anybody recall the crash and great depression? Banks folded, personal (paper) wealth evaporated overnight. Did the government find a way then to restore that money to the smitten? Sure, later on there were "government insured banks" established in the following years. How much good will that be if the government has nothing but a pile of paper, green ink and printing presses to back the banks?

M

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I think my computer's broke I see crazy letters!
......... That is another add that one's keep putting up to try to sell there junk............It's not allowed but they keep doing.......... If we are lucky a Mod. will take it down soon........

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I came here for Dr Pepper, and I am disappointed.
..................I am to i like that Dr. Pepper 10............ But i guess there is none here.....I think he spelled Pepper wrong he spelled it..prepper...............:dontknow:

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't need to prep, I just need to know who the preppers are.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just love it when everyone thinks that precious metal will be the answer to everything. If and when there is a collapse your so called precious metal will also be worthless until the situation stabilizes :laughing7:

What do I mean :icon_scratch:

Simply put, it would be nearly impossible to put a value on a gold ring, any coin, etc... What do you do, cut off a piece of gold for a loaf of bread :dontknow: I'll agree that bartering will be the way to go for your needs, like an exchange for services for goods, or a direct swap of goods. Just save you so called precious metal for after the storm, then it may have value again at some point :tongue3:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You want to survive when it all goes cave man? Be part of a "tribe" where you have a particular skill, and have lots of Bic lighters, cigarettes and Liquor to trade for medicine and ammo.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You want to survive when it all goes cave man? Be part of a "tribe" where you have a particular skill, and have lots of Bic lighters, cigarettes and Liquor to trade for medicine and ammo.
............Now that is the best idea i have seen here.......:thumbsup: :occasion14:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you NEED to know is, part of those preparations are guns and ammo.

Lets see, I've led a group of close friends through a year of combat. REAL combat, not the BS paintball in the forest with some beer buddies that some people consider "training". I'm pretty damn sure between us, we could arm a platoon and have the training AND experience to use them.

A stockpile of guns and ammo without the training or will to use them is just more for us to take.

K

Kentucky Kache

Lets see, I've led a group of close friends through a year of combat. REAL combat, not the BS paintball in the forest with some beer buddies that some people consider "training". I'm pretty damn sure between us, we could arm a platoon and have the training AND experience to use them.

A stockpile of guns and ammo without the training or will to use them is just more for us to take.

So you plan to survive by going on a hunting/scavenging party? Just take what you need, no matter what that means for your victims and their families? That's not too far from the "I'm entitled" mentality, is it?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
So you plan to survive by going on a hunting/scavenging party? Just take what you need, no matter what that means for your victims and their families? That's not too far from the "I'm entitled" mentality, is it?
.... I have to agree with you kentucky..... Sounds like ..Jason.. will be nothing but a thief with the mentality of what's yours is mine and what mine is mine ...... I know i would not hook up with him ..... We should try to help one another if we could not steal from one another.....

OP
OP
vor

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What will trigger a collapse? Any number of things, but the most serious is China. They could without as much as a hint, call for payment of our debt in real assets like gold, not fiat dollars. They have a lot to lose by playing hardball, but does their government worry about adversity?

"When most of your wealth is just digital numbers or words on paper you have to ensure the status quo."

Does anybody recall the crash and great depression? Banks folded, personal (paper) wealth evaporated overnight. Did the government find a way then to restore that money to the smitten? Sure, later on there were "government insured banks" established in the following years. How much good will that be if the government has nothing but a pile of paper, green ink and printing presses to back the banks?

M

China can't call in their paper until it is due. In an emergency situation, we will just print some more to pay them which may lead to inflation at worst. Guess it will be easier to pay down our notes then as long as our rates are locked.

There is enough personal wealth that there is the ability to pump up the economy if need be. I will say that I do believe with all the leverage that things are more fragile than in the past.

Barter can only go so far and if it does hit the fan, there has to be a currency and I don't think bic lighters will be it. If so, China will be on top of that market.

The answer may be to get our country back to manufacturing our own products again. We all talk about buying US but yet we still go to Walmart for our cheap foreign products.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread