Facts about the Lincoln penny

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several

What was the first coin you ever found with a metal detector? For the great majority of us, it was a Lincoln penny. There are more Lincoln pennies out there right now than all the other coins combined.

How much do you know about the Lincoln cent?

Who was responsible for its being issued?

Why was it such a gutsy move?

Why Lincoln?

And who was Viktoras Barnauskas and why was he important?

These questions and more are answered in this program about the lowly Lincoln penny.

Listen at In the Corner with Dan Hughes (treasure).

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not for a penny.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why Lincoln?

All the other dead presidents refused to be associated with a penny :laughing9: Lincoln had no brains left :tongue3:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Spartacus53, your comment is especially brutal. For you who are about to die, I salute you! Now, where the frik did I put my sword?? Hey, Dan, I gotta say, the guys are really letting you have it!. Holy Crap! But, let me tell you something, they are not really busting your hump, I know this for a fact. I know these guys, and I bet it is safe to say that they are using your post to express the distaste that they have for not you, nor your soundclip, but for the subject of your post, the washed-up Lincoln cent, especially now that they (the cents) are made of zinc, and as such, melt away like so many Lucky Charms in the dirt. That is the final legacy of this now perhaps lowly, but once great coin. An no, I am not gonna listen about Lincoln cents either. I don't have the time nor interest. But you do good work, and I hope you keep up the good work. Best regards, gleaner.

OP
OP
Dan Hughes

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
You guys are making fun of the Lincoln penny?

Let me ask you this: Of all the coins ever issued by the US Mint, which ONE do you think NASA decided to honor by using as its camera-focusing device on the Mars rover?

Yep, the only coin on the planet Mars is a 1909 VDB penny!

Check it out: 1909 Lincoln, V.D.B. cent en route to Mars | CoinWorld

Forget the zincolns - my show is about the intrigue behind the design of the beautiful copper coin, way back in 1909.

Last edited:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They went with copper so it could blend with the red planet and be that much more difficult to spot. It would be like where's Waldo, or looking for a needle in a haystack x a few million :laughing7:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
You guys are making fun of the Lincoln penny?

Let me ask you this: Of all the coins ever issued by the US Mint, which ONE do you think NASA decided to honor by using as its camera-focusing device on the Mars rover?

Yep, the only coin on the planet Mars is a 1909 VDB penny!

Check it out: 1909 Lincoln, V.D.B. cent en route to Mars | CoinWorld

Forget the zincolns - my show is about the intrigue behind the design of the beautiful copper coin, way back in 1909.
..... Now you see that is why i can't find a..1909 VDB penny.... that put it up on Mars... Darn...

TimC

Jul 24, 2008
Gold Country, Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Various
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan, I don't think it's really the penny they are making fun of. It could be the self-promotion they are jabbing at. I used to put them on the railroad tracks when I was a kid.... turned them into "large cents".

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
TimC said:
Dan, I don't think it's really the penny they are making fun of. It could be the self-promotion they are jabbing at. I used to put them on the railroad tracks when I was a kid.... turned them into "large cents".

Yep

OP
OP
Dan Hughes

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
Dan, I don't think it's really the penny they are making fun of. It could be the self-promotion they are jabbing at.

Ouch! It's hard to walk that fine line....

I've been doing these biweekly internet shows for over four years now, and for the most part, the response has been positive (to the point that several board owners have written me to ask that I post my podcast announcements on their boards too).

I think if you'll listen to them you'll enjoy them, and the only advertising you'll encounter is a request at the very end of each show to visit my book website.

I'm a retired college instructor who just became Medicare-eligible last month. (I knew I was getting old when a new student came to my desk after class and told me I had taught his father 25 years ago!)

My field was broadcasting, and I also wrote, hosted, and produced a high school quiz bowl TV show for 25 years. After I retired, I found I missed being on the air, and so I started these podcasts. (I do two others besides the one on treasure hunting).

And I'm really proud of my work; I think the shows are excellent. But if I don't tell you about them, you'll never find them. And if I don't pique your interest, you'll never listen to the shows.

So what I try to do is let you know about the latest program in such a way that you'll be intrigued enough to listen, without coming off as a shill. And it looks like maybe I was a bit too enthusiastic about the Lincoln penny episode. So if I offended anybody, I do apologize. And check out some of my shows (my two most popular shows are #38 and #59), and perhaps you'll forgive me.

---Dan

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Dan Hughes said:
Ouch! It's hard to walk that fine line....

I've been doing these biweekly internet shows for over four years now, and for the most part, the response has been positive (to the point that several board owners have written me to ask that I post my podcast announcements on their boards too).

I think if you'll listen to them you'll enjoy them, and the only advertising you'll encounter is a request at the very end of each show to visit my book website.

I'm a retired college instructor who just became Medicare-eligible last month. (I knew I was getting old when a new student came to my desk after class and told me I had taught his father 25 years ago!)

My field was broadcasting, and I also wrote, hosted, and produced a high school quiz bowl TV show for 25 years. After I retired, I found I missed being on the air, and so I started these podcasts. (I do two others besides the one on treasure hunting).

And I'm really proud of my work; I think the shows are excellent. But if I don't tell you about them, you'll never find them. And if I don't pique your interest, you'll never listen to the shows.

So what I try to do is let you know about the latest program in such a way that you'll be intrigued enough to listen, without coming off as a shill. And it looks like maybe I was a bit too enthusiastic about the Lincoln penny episode. So if I offended anybody, I do apologize. And check out some of my shows (my two most popular shows are #38 and #59), and perhaps you'll forgive me.

---Dan

Your self promoting again.

K

Kentucky Kache

---Dan

If you have things for sale on your website, Isn't that against T'net rules?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread