Wireless headphones

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
sonofadigger said:
Hey everyone was just wondering if anyone uses wireless headphones and if so what's the best ones I would definitely like to get a pair just not sure about them

I hate going back to a wire after using theV3i

OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They have wireless headphones?

Ground Inspector

Feb 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
18" Excelerator Coil
Minelab CTX 3030
06 Smart Coil
17 Smart Coil
Garret Propointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
AKG k840 is what I have. They are awesome. Great sound covering all tones. It's portable and doesn't use batteries since it is rechargeable.

OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ground Inspector said:
AKG k840 is what I have. They are awesome. Great sound covering all tones. It's portable and doesn't use batteries since it is rechargeable.

Wow those are nice and expensive I want something alot cheaper

BarryInNY

Jun 11, 2009
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, BLISSTOOL, E-Trac, White's DF, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the problem that everyone who metal detects faces when looking for aftermarket wireless headphones (aftermarket as in not built by the manufacturer...XP Deus, Minelab CTX3030, Whites V3i):

The latency of the signal response and the build quality/freq response of the phones.

Those AKG's are nice phones for listening to music in the house but they are using "Kleer" 2.4ghz technology and that signal latency lag is awful. About >50ms of signal delay.

That same technology is used in some other headphones too. I have tested them out and their published >30ms of delay latency which I think is much longer is the equivalent of hearing the signal about 10" away from where the target actually is.

So as you swing, with a target sitting right on the surface, you hear the sound about 10" on either side of the actual spot where it sits.

Some guys say they get used to it - but for me it just wasn't right. Plus the phones are really geared to music (20-20,000hz) and not the freq range of our detectors which is from 200-3200hz.

I would stay tuned because something exciting is coming real soon regarding wireless headphones specifically geared for metal detectors...

OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BarryInNY said:
Here is the problem that everyone who metal detects faces when looking for aftermarket wireless headphones (aftermarket as in not built by the manufacturer...XP Deus, Minelab CTX3030, Whites V3i):

The latency of the signal response and the build quality/freq response of the phones.

Those AKG's are nice phones for listening to music in the house but they are using "Kleer" 2.4ghz technology and that signal latency lag is awful. About >50ms of signal delay.

That same technology is used in some other headphones too. I have tested them out and their published >30ms of delay latency which I think is much longer is the equivalent of hearing the signal about 10" away from where the target actually is.

So as you swing, with a target sitting right on the surface, you hear the sound about 10" on either side of the actual spot where it sits.

Some guys say they get used to it - but for me it just wasn't right. Plus the phones are really geared to music (20-20,000hz) and not the freq range of our detectors which is from 200-3200hz.

I would stay tuned because something exciting is coming real soon regarding wireless headphones specifically geared for metal detectors...

Something exciting coming real soon says who?

BarryInNY

Jun 11, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
says me.........:icon_thumright:
however the price will be a little more than what one currently pays for the top quality wired detecting headphones that are on the market right now...

OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh ok ...dont be shy tell me all about them and how do you know so much about them?

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
says me.........:icon_thumright:
however the price will be a little more than what one currently pays for the top quality wired detecting headphones that are on the market right now...
Yea Barry, what are we talking? $.$$ Can we give dollar amounts here. And what brand? When? I've wanted to consider something for too long. Then there are some that say to never get the first of anything! There's something to be said for that. Only wish the ear buds could work out.
HH Ray

TheElementOfSand

Jul 19, 2012
Fort Wayne
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT E-series, Whites Beachhunter, Garrett Ace350, Garret 76'-77'Fortune Hunter, Cen-tech Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BarryInNY

Jun 11, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi - bluetooth are no good for metal detecting - the signal latency delay is way too long - maybe over 200ms.
There are tons of cheap wireless headphones on the market - but none were developed for metal detecting.

Regarding the wireless for metal detecting - from what I have personally seen and tested so far, the sound will be like the wired phones we are used to - and there will be ZERO signal latency. And they will be rechargeable too.

Right now they are looking to keep the retail cost under $250. More like $225 or so.
Since a good pair of wired phones go for about $135 - this seems reasonable.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I am using the discontinued RadioShack wireless headphones. Works perfectly for detecting. Unfortunately they have been discontinued since 2010 and they are now virtually impossible to find in any stores.

OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i bought a pair of rapoo 2.4ghz wireless headphones we will see how good those work i will let everyone know if interested

OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok got my set of rapoo wireless detectors today and must say these things work great absolutley no delay that i can notice

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok got my set of rapoo wireless detectors today and must say these things work great absolutley no delay that i can notice

I'm going to have to check those out, I'd like to have a pair I could use on my MXT. I remember a guy who had a pair he bought from Radio Shack that worked fantastic on his MXT but they don't make them anymore.

OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Giant056 said:
I'm going to have to check those out, I'd like to have a pair I could use on my MXT. I remember a guy who had a pair he bought from Radio Shack that worked fantastic on his MXT but they don't make them anymore.

Yeah they were the pair I was wearing today they work really well for the price

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread