New Spot for Newbie

S

sendin

Tomorrow & Sunday I am going to hunt at an equestrian center. There's an event there my wife is attending and I am going along. I called today and talked to the caretaker and she said go right ahead - no problem. I called a relative who has shown her horses there and she gave me the run-down on the place. There is an old race track at the facility which has been converted to riding trails. I have no idea if it has been hunted before.. The caretaker didn't mention that anyone had been there with a detector. There's more area there that can be done in two days, but I have a pretty good idea where the more productive areas are located. I don't think that it is that old, but it gets a lot of traffic - kind of like the fairgrounds. The old race track might not be that old either. I guess I will see if I can find out more about it tonight. If anyone has any ideas I'd like to read them - otherwise wish me luck! Thanks - Denny

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Above all Fill your holes! :)
If you can figure out a date on the old race track,google earth it and maybe find some historic pictures ...that would at least give you a general idea where the track,buildings were...Race tracks are notorious for great finds ...so best of luck!

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Gyspy took the words right out of my mouth.

www.maptech.com has historical topographic maps that may be of help as well.

Good luck and keep us posted. Don't forget to search under the bleachers.

OP
OP
S

sendin

No problem on the holes - I'm about 3 months into the hobby and pretty good at filling in holes now. Must be my gardening and gopher hole eradication experience!

Already found the the old race track on google earth and also on a Thomas Guide. Need to do some more research. Thanks for the map link too.

Whoops - just found out that we might not go now. My wife had a bad reaction to a novacaine shot from the dental surgeon yesterday and tonight it is getting worse.

Oh well - they'll have more events there soon enough. We'll end up at one of them. If we end up going - I will report back with the finds.

OP
OP
S

sendin

Well we didn't go, but I got a call from my detecting buddy and we headed out to the coast to spot where he found some Indian beads with his uncle the archeologist about 40 yrs ago. We didn't do so well there, but we cleaned out a bunch of shotgun shells, 22 casings (one live one) and one nice little brass buckle with some scroll work on it. Hit two other spots including a huge beach, but we found only a small amount of clad and some pennies from the 60's.

I was getting in-house fever so it was really nice to get out - the weather was great out there, especially in the AM - even though we had no good finds. Feel like digging in some grass so I might hit a couple of parks early in the AM tomorrow.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread