Newbie first field trip with Garrett 350

abbynormal

Sep 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, today I got a nice response to my email to a local church (which I chose because it's pretty old and has a big property) saying I could detect there. I immediately arranged to use some of my vacation time to take the rest of the day off. I was so excited I had to turn around at the end of my street and go back for my pin pointer.
I have been digging my yard but it is very, very trashy and frustrating. I was anxious to get to better grounds.
I found a few things- I still kept my sensitivity relatively low, but the discrimination set to jewelry which is still quite broad. I found that I got much better at pinpointing where there were not so many junk targets right on top of each other. I was able to get pretty close. First hit I found a strange piece of wire that was pretty big, but I was proud that I was able to dig a nice plug and find it quickly. The next hit I found pretty quick, a wheatie about 4 inches down. I got some iron hits and ignored them, then an odd hit that was bouncing around a lot and seemed harder to pinpoint. I remembered that the big wire sounded similar and bounced around the same way, one minute showing iron, the next as a penny. I dug and it was about 6 inches down, a nut and bolt so big I wondered if it was a doorknob at first. I noted that the Garrett had put this big hunk of metal at only 2 inches down and figured its larger size had thrown off the depth somewhat.
Next I got one of those hits that is right in the range where it's either gold or a pulltab. This one was very easy to pinpoint without the broad overreaching signal that I got from the junk. I dug another nice plug and found a bit of rumpled foil about the size of a pulltab, but I found it quickly and cleanly. I was getting much better at digging a small surgical hole, finding the target, and closing back up neatly. I was really happy!!
Next I got another clean tone that was easy to pinpoint, and found a clad roosevelt dime. Then a rusty nail and washer, a small bit of steel, and an old coat hook or something. Finally, I got a really strong signal. I dug down about 6 inches at the edge of the flower bed, and was having trouble seeing anything, when my centech pointer started going nuts over this small black rock that looked to me like a lump of coal. I pulled it out and waved it over my Garrett and sure enough that was it. I checked the hole and nearby area to be sure I had it and there were no more signals. I have NO IDEA what kind of rock would set my Garrett off like that- it was ringing in the 25C range and then all the way at the end of silver sometimes. It gives off a very strong signal. I plan to photograph and put in the What Is It forum.
At any rate, for all you other newbies out there--- I am finding that patience is really needed in this, and I read some posts where some are getting frustrated. Also, try to find an area that is not TOO trashy or you might be lost like I was.
There is still a lot of land at the Church and I have only begun to explore this area! It will provide many more hours of practice. I am encouraged as I can see myself improving with every thing I dig.

mjc_lakedweller

Nov 14, 2011
Kzoo County, MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro,
Garrett ACE350,
Fisher CZ-20,
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...And it will continue for some time. I have owned my ace 350 since it first came out. I am proud to say that I have grossly outdown my best guestimates before purchasing. You will see yourself progress in stages. First stage say ten hours then 20 hours. next maybe fifty hours then 100. but make sure that you are always learning and paying attention to signals, what you dig with those signals; pay attention to your settings and what they tell you, and compare those readings to what you dig (ie detector reads dime/quarter at six inches but you dig a penny at four inches. this would mean your sensativity is too high)...things like that make a difference in the long run. Set your wedding ring down and run detector over it at different settings so you know your machines gold signature. It would be a shame to pass up gold at todays prices. Good luck and keep at it as often as you can. Begin to read about your area's history and where gatherings took place. Before you know it you'll have your machine paid off and then some.

OP
OP
abbynormal

abbynormal

Sep 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks! I am glad to hear from someone else with the same machine as it is encouraging. I appreciate it.

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im going to assume your name is abby sorry if it isnt. Your putting a lot of effort into learning your machine and thats a great thing just dont try and over think everything. You will burn out because you will feel it more like work. Have fun while learning. Sometimes your machine will throw you a curve ball. Me I dug all the trash out of my mom's yard with a cheap detector. Then I went back over with better one and it paid off. Good luck on the church.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
abbynormal,

welcome love the story,been rain-n- like all heck last 5 days can't get out every things soaked. In time you be a professional detector-ist. I to had to turn around go home for some thing I for got related to treasure hunting a few times, in a hurry to get the beep on. we all dig wire, and washers, they fool all the detectors.

OP
OP
abbynormal

abbynormal

Sep 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you everyone for your encouragement and advice. I read as much as I can on here when I'm not out digging. Loving it!:happysmiley:

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
abbynormal,

welcome love the story,been rain-n- like all heck last 5 days can't get out every things soaked. In time you be a professional detector-ist. I to had to turn around go home for some thing I for got related to treasure hunting a few times, in a hurry to get the beep on. we all dig wire, and washers, they fool all the detectors.
Read this ...then repeat 100 times...Yes you will always dig trash...Its just part of the hobby!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
It is really a chance for fun starting out,your firsts and adventure. Sounds like your doing great! Not telling you what to do,i would keep an eye out for a small thing i could do for clergy or property. Just me. Have fun! H.H.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread