Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The real W.C. Jameson is full of MANURE. I live in Connecticut most of my life, born and raise in the great state of Connecticut. I got interesting in treasure hunting in 1964 after serving in our Air Force after reading many ads in Coin world mazines and treasues mazines. Talk about old, my first detector was purchased from Karl V Mueller, a great man. The White was junk and it did not work. Karl did not want to take it back. Believe it or not, it had a wooden coil with a hole in the middle. It was a BEO, I believe, I could be wrong. There is not too many big time buried treasures in my state. I had written about this story many times on our website. There was a time when this story was published many times as four times a year in Lost Treasure for many years. After I complaint too many ltimes in many years they stop. This story: 13 wagons of gold coins borrow from France during the Revolutiotary War. My luck, it started with a little old lady written a letter to the editor of Hartford Courant giving false information. Like so many, I believe the story. I met William Bates, the owner of Bates Tavern, East Granby, which since been moved. He claim that the wagons stop there over night. During the night, torries, faithfull to England killed guards and buried it near the brook accross from the tavern. I had search around 1965 and as so many, found thing, not even a single gold coin. Now, this where it gets very interested. No country including France nor our country had a lot of gold coins, just a few for collecters. There was very few coins and most people grown their own animals and crops. Sure there was 13 wagons, not of gold coins, but supplies of badly needed items for the war. There may be a few coins to purchase suppies on their way. The wagons were successfull in getting to Boston, Ma. I was going nuts trying to find out if the story was true or not. Many years after William had died, bless his soul, I was outside the tavern at night of all times, with no detector, when a man about 60 came out and asked me what I was doing. I had asked if he was a Bate, and he stated no, but his wife was. Now I was a happy Yankee. I asked him, if his father in law had really believe the story. He stated that nobody in the family had heard of the story until they read the story in the newspaper. The Bate at this time during the war was Samuel, my middle name. I try hard to find his history story but never found it, but, it was not needed. I believe the man that I had interview that nights many years ago. Now, after this very long but very interesting story, we get to Mr. Jameson. He also wrote about this story in one of his books. He in his mind had to prove that this story was indeed true, so he added single coins found in the brook which are lies. The first of two boys saw the coins and jump in and some how in the dirty water retrin them, no pictures or stories in local newspapers or appeance on local TV. Now, this really getting interesting, a woman got a flat tire, and after changing it, wash her hands in the brook obserse one gold coin and jump into the brook and retrin it. Again, no pictures or interviews in newspapers or TV. I agree with others members about him writing about make up stories and books base on other Authors works. I am 78 years old and been in this business and this story is the one that I had research the most. You notice that nobody ever found this so treasures, not even one single coins. I hope you all enjoy my very interesting comments and story. Now to reseach that pirates story that is in Ct. Legards. # 13 is my brother, and no longer have that email address. Good luck and good hunting. The treasure that most of us on Earth are searching for is: Peace of Mind, and most of us including me are still searching for it but, will never find it.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I think W.C. has figured out the real gold in treasure hunting is in writing about it, like J. Frank Dobie said. I still like his books though and have a few that I re-read.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know much about this guy but the fact he is a treasure writer definitely sends up the red flag for me. I've read too many B.S. treasure stories and I see how they operate. My opinion is some/most of these guys were failed treasure hunters. They probably knew damned well that they had been scammed and to get retribution they make up their own yarns. Just take one fact that has nothing to do with treasure and expand on it and draw on peoples' emotions. Especially those with gold fever are gullible to the B.S. They eat it with a spoon. These writers sit around and probably laugh all day how the suckers will bite on their lies. With a little bit of logic a person can see that none of it adds up. And it seems that every two-bit outlaw has some vast treasure of gold coins hidden. Any bank robber is not much different than some fat cat that spends money like water. They knew their days were numbered so they didn't save too much. Like W.C. Fields said, "I spent half my money on booze, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted."

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions