Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I currently have a bountyhunter discovery 1100. I have only used it a few time and have found some amazing stuff. I am new to the hobby however feel that this detector is not quite as advanced as I think I should be using. any help would be appreciated. I will be searching beaches, rivers, shorelines and wooded areas in fresh water areas.

Last edited:

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Get off of Bounty Hunter. They are great for starters but that is it. Ace 250 or AT Pro. Ace 250 has a good package deal with a finds pouch and digger on ebay for 250.00. AT Pro is like 550.00 I think. Both are great machines, buying mine in two weeks.

OP
OP
Backbacon

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks. After 50+ people you took a minute out of your life to help me out.

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both detectors he mentioned ...The Ace250 is a good starter detector (found alot of coins) However the AT Pro is waterproof & is a little hotter...Since you already had a starter detector Id go with the AT Pro so you can detect anytime...rain or shine!

OP
OP
Backbacon

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for your info kayden. Nice looking pup you have as you avatar. What breed?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a tesoro and a fisher but am buying the AT Pro for the water. Good luck and Happy Hunting.
TnMtns

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Watch Craigslist or ebay for a used Whites M6. I've seen them used for $400-600 USD. It would do a fantastic job in those applications. And you can use a large selection of coils on it.

JavaDetector

Greenie
Sep 21, 2012
Dayton/ Old River- Winfree TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did the same thing not long ago and all suggestions pointed to the Ace 250, which I got. It is an absolutely awesome starter level unit and covers many of the more advanced features of very pricey units. I know of many people here (already) and other places that still use them many years into their MD'ing hobby life. If you really feel that you want something more advanced the AT pro is a really neat piece of work. Just remember that finding things, even those of value is not always what your using, but how you use it, and where your looking. Happy Hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread