Depth Demons

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have been hunting an area lately with my G2 that I feel has a lot more to offer than I am able to reach. In most cases I believe the average modern metal detector is capable of reaching 90% or more of the relics and coins we hunt. I made a point of digging some really iffy targets today and realized this area has some really deep stuff and the ground in South East TN has fairly heavy mineralization. Lots of clay around here. While digging some targets I knew were probably iron it became clear that if I am finding iron in excess of 12 inches I am sure there is other stuff at that depth. Dug a large piece of rolled up copper at 12+ inches as well. I would take the great discrimination and recovery speed of the G2 over a deeper machine in most cases but it certainly got me thinking. I have been planning on getting a F75 or T2 from Edd at Treasure Mountain and keeping the G2 for heavy trash and as a back-up but have read so many articles that contradict each other on performance of metal detectors that I just wanted some member input. I hear the Tesoro Tejon is pretty awesome on depth. The F75 and T2 seem to be the Boy-Dogs of the First Texas lineup and then there is the Minelab machines. The Blisstool claims incredible depth but seems to have its problems with discrimination. Whites has its name in the pot as well. How about a little input from you guys and gals that hunt side by side with with some of the depth demons or own one yourself.:dontknow:

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
TN guns,were the problem develops in the new detector designs is all metal detector circuits are essentially the same,but when features are added to the detector it starts to lose depth,such as meters,tones,etc.From what i have read the tejon maybe not as good as the Vaquero in the more mineralized areas.I live on neutral soil so i really don't know.I would bet the Vaquero would cause you to say boom baby in the hills!But for real,this is why the few Tesoros get the added depth.The analog circuit,no meter,no tones,no notch,equals the Tejon,Vaquero,Outlaw.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
So what's the question. Are you asking what detector you should buy or are you asking what brand goes deeper?

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree my Tn. Neighbor. If you are getting 12 inches out of that G2, you are doing pretty darn good. I have used the Teknetics G2, and I was simply AMAZED at its ability to separate the good targets from the bad in trashy sites. This machine in my opinion is the best machine out there for the money. A detectorist's dream back up machine... I cannot say I have gotten 12 inches out of mine where I hunt, but I can tell you there isn't any another machine out there that can perform in the trash sites better than the Teknetics G2... We have really been selling a ton of them lately. I was initially sold on them when my buddy, Josh (Sentinal) and Bob Szabo ran circles around me using theirs in Richmond Va.last year ... I was confident my Etrac would do well there. After 6,000 hours on that machione, I couldn't find any settings that would match the First texas machines incredible target seperation , AND depth.. I was shocked (and disappointed) Those Minelab's (etrac, ctx3030) just don't work in mineralized soil.. You made a great choice. Needless to say, I swing a Teknetics T2 LTD now. The Teknetics T2 is phenominal in any soil conditions, AND has the ability to find raw gold nuggets. I have seen people using them (T2 LTD) with great success in Culpeper Va. Culpeper has soil nicknamed "powdered iron" crazy minerlization. American Made machines, with great value. I highly reccommend both the T2 LTD, and it's little brother the G2.

Last edited:

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
Great right up on the on the detectors Mr woodland detectors,i will keep this in mined.Thanks.

OP
OP
TNGUNS

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not getting that kind of depth on anything but big iron or large pieces of copper etc. Think any detector I have ever used will get deeper on larger objects especially iron. If I get an iffy signal (faint due to depth) on baseball size piece of copper then you are gonna miss the large cent or for sure the Indian Head.

ticm.....not asking which to buy just wanted input from our members to make up my own mind. I watched a Youtube vid of the F75 smoking the Tejon on a side by side test. Then read an article that stated the opposite. Have read the Whites are behind the curve on depth etc. then read that the V3I is a monster on depth. I simply trust our members more than the hype etc on the net. Then I take it all with a grain of salt.

I hear so much about depth that I traditionally pay little attention to it. Like I said I love my G2 and believe it is the most overlooked machine out there. The reason for the post is simply to see if any members have hunted with a partner or have purchased a machine that really stands out on depth. Might not have really stated intentions on G2 as I should have. Not just a back-up but primary in trash etc. and great loaner as it is simple to use.

Mike thanks for your input....I think I am going to get the T2 or F75 but just kind of wanted to do a double check before I purchase. I have never used one or hunted with anyone using one but have read enough to narrow it down to the two. My G2 went down about 3 weeks ago and it took 2 weeks to get it back ( faulty switch ). That really made me realize that I need another machine. I am lucky enough to get to hunt most days and hated having places with some promise and not having a machine to go with.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the end, you will have to give up your discrimination if you want to go deeper than 12" in mineralized soil. I dig farmfields with a Pulse Induction machine. No VLF is coming close to what I can find at 17" - Just saying.

OP
OP
TNGUNS

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hoped you would pipe in Terry. Do you use the Sand Shark in the fields? Would be a great combo as I have been wanting a water machine as well. This hobby does that to ya. Lots of water around here. Springs and creeks everywhere. Not to mention the TN River and all the slews and inlets. 4 grist mills in the general area I am hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread