Attention All eBay Sellers (And Craigslist Too) Please Sign this petition!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your an eBay member you've probably already received a message from them regarding this matter. If your not an eBay member then it could still affect you anyway.

Citizens for Ownership Rights Collecting Petition Signatures to Protect Rights to Resell | eBay Inc. Main Street

An upcoming Supreme Court case, Kirtsaeng v. John Wiley & Sons, involves an eBay seller who was sued by a textbook publisher for reselling books. The seller, a graduate student and entrepreneurial seller, sold the books to help cover tuition expenses. These were legitimate books that the book publisher manufactured overseas — they were not counterfeit, pirated, or stolen. Yet, the publisher is trying to use U.S. copyright law to stop the book sales and make the seller pay $600,000 in damages – more than 15 times what he made from selling the books.

It is possible that an extreme application of U.S. copyright law might enable manufacturers to force retailers and consumers to first have to obtain permission from the manufacturer before reselling or even donating goods manufactured overseas. This rule could affect most of the goods we use every day, from books to cell phones. Manufacturers would retain ownership of an item no matter how many times it changes owner. This rule could threaten the laws of ownership and resale that we all enjoy.
When you purchase an item on eBay, you should be able to resell it, give it away, or use it as you see fit. Likewise, when you sell an item on eBay, ownership of the item should transfer to the buyer.
Citizens for Ownership Rights (CFOR) is a coalition of public interest organizations asking individuals to stand up for their rights as buyers and sellers. CFOR is currently gathering signatures for a petition that will be sent directly to the President and Attorney General urging them to support the rights of Americans to purchase legitimate goods, resell those goods, give them away, or use them in any legal manner as they see fit. Visit ownershiprights.org and sign the petition to protect your ownership rights.

Please take a moment and sign this petition-
Sign the Citizens

Thanks- pat-tekker-cat for giving me the heads up on this!

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
OK ....diggumup... I put my name on the dotted like.......... I hopes it helps out.......

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got her done......that is some crazy:censored:

clorox

Jun 1, 2012
Northern California
Primary Interest:
Other
Textbook and medical journal publishers are some of the lowest forms of greedy, money-grabbing scum out there. Thanks for bringing this up, I hadn't heard anything about it.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so far to everyone who has signed. If you are reading this please take a moment and think about what this Supreme Court decision could mean if it is granted in favor of Wiley. THIS COULD AFFECT EVERYONE! Below is an example of what could actually happen.

Selling a used book, iPhone, or pair of shoes on Amazon, eBay, or at your local flea market could be illegal.
Giving away a couch away on Craigslist could result in prosecution for being an unauthorized distributor.

Libraries would not be able to lend out books.

Redbox and Blockbuster would not be able to rent out movies.

Retailers that obtain their products from a source other than the original manufacturer – which most retailers do – would be engaging in illegal activity.

Consumers could pay more for everyday items purchased online because with less competition, manufacturers could impose higher costs.

Donating clothes to charitable organizations would be considered unauthorized distributions.

Sounds a little far fetched right? Well, so did/do these, but it's happening everyday-

The following are 10 examples that show that we no longer live in the land of the free and the home of the brave....
#1 According to the ACLU, state police in Michigan are using "extraction devices" to download data from the cellphones of motorists that they pull over. This is taking place even if those pulled over are not accused of doing anything wrong.
The following is how an article on CNET News describes the capabilities of these "extraction devices"....
The devices, sold by a company called Cellebrite, can download text messages, photos, video, and even GPS data from most brands of cell phones. The handheld machines have various interfaces to work with different models and can even bypass security passwords and access some information.
#2 In the state of New York, the Department of Health has designated wiffle ball, dodge ball, kick ball, freeze tag, red rover, frisbee tossing and tug of war as "risky recreational activities". Any organization or program that allows kids to enjoy these games during the summer will now be subject to strict government regulation according to the New York Daily News....
Under the new rules, any program that offers two or more organized recreational activities - with at least one of them on the risky list - is deemed a summer camp and subject to state regulation.
#3 At one public school in the Chicago area, children have been bannedfrom bringing their lunches from home. Yes, you read that correctly. Students at that particular school are absolutely prohibited from bringing lunches from home. Instead, it is mandatory that they eat the food that the school cafeteria serves.
#4 Would you like to have your face scanned and your ID recorded every time you attend a public event? Don't laugh. The San Francisco Entertainment Commission is actually proposing a new rule which "would require all venues with an occupancy of over 100 people to record the faces of all patrons and employees and scan their ID’s for storage in a database which they must hand over to law enforcement on request."
#5 In Delaware, police and state government officials recently tore a basketball hoop and carted it away because it was "too close" to the street. They even extracted the pole for the basketball hoop out of the ground and took that away too.
#6 In Missouri of all places, two young girls named Abigail and Caitlin Mills were recently taught a lesson on how to be good citizens in the emerging totalitarian control grid going up all over the United States. After a complaint from a neighbor, the city of Hazelwood cracked down on the two girls and told them that they must stop selling girl scout cookies in their own front yard.
#7 As I have written about previously, federal bureaucrats have outlawed the incandescent light bulbs that we all grew up with and will be forcing us to switch over to new CFL (compact fluorescent lamp) light bulbs that are more expensive and that are actually worse for the environment. One new study conducted by scientists in Germany has shown that the new CFL light bulbs that we are being forced to use contain poisonous carcinogens that are likely cause cancer. In fact, the German scientists say that these CFL bulbs should be "kept as far away as possible from the human environment".
#8 Many states are aggressively seizing "unclaimed" safe deposit boxes and are selling off the contents and using the money to pay state government bills. In the state of California, they are now going after safe deposit boxes if the owners have had "no contact" with the bank for just 3 years. Other states are being nearly as aggressive. If you have a safe deposit box that you have not opened in a while you need to go check on it right away.
#9 One Mississippi state judge recently issued an order for state officials to gather and deliver to him the names of every single child that is being homeschooled in the state. The frightening thing is that the judge did this all on his own. Nobody requested this information and there is no case pending for which this information would be required.
#10 The TSA had promised that they were going to stop groping little children at airports, but apparently that is not the case. For example, one 6 year old little girl made headlines recently when a TSA worker before allowing her to get on an airplane. Her parents were forced to stand aside and watch this outrage take place.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I don't think the publishers will win. That part of the copy write law was meant to protect artists from having there images purchased and then used in other endeavors. It only applies to using the images in the books for other purposes. When you buy a picture, you own that picture, but not the right to use the image. Frank

Attachments

• rose on ice 700 this one.jpg
    rose on ice 700 this one.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 190

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster and MXT, sluice
You can always resell it as paper that just happens to contain the book's contents. I heard an arguement before on how Microsoft would sue those who resold their software. The counter arguement is you can resell the original CD it is on and they couldn't stop you.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think the publishers will win. That part of the copy write law was meant to protect artists from having there images purchased and then used in other endeavors. It only applies to using the images in the books for other purposes. When you buy a picture, you own that picture, but not the right to use the image. Frank
I don't think they will either, but stranger things have happened. The fact that it is tying up our Supreme Court system to begin with says a whole lot. There has been an effort in the U.S. in the last few years to pare back the protections of ownership rights, largely through the use of copyright law. Courts have interpreted copyright law to hold that owners of goods that are manufactured overseas do not have complete ownership rights...such as the right to re-sell them. Moreover, manufacturers have begun to use contracts to restrict the free movement of goods and the ability of legitimate purchasers to use their goods in legitimate ways. Many goods consumed in the U.S. are made overseas, and more and more goods are being subject to restrictive contracts. All it takes is one to open the flood gates for the rest of the fools. This is just one more example of BS nonsense that's going on in this country in the name of greed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So how about signing the petition some of you? Over 300 views and I've got 3 admitted signatures? That's pathetic! No wonder the current state of affairs is in shambles. Bunch a damn sheep, what's wrong with you people?

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Mods, push for a format change. Everyone wants to change the category from General Discussion to General Treasure Discussion. EVERYBODY. No, really.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting. I to was notified by Ebay. I signed the petition before I even read any further.....

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you diggummup! There's just something about this SC case that don't sit right in my craw!
Are we not free to do what we wish, with the items we buy, in a free country?

This is treasure related! God help anyone got antiques from another country, and what if the manufacturer is out of bussiness? We do now take freon out of appliances before disposal. I would hate to think, I would need to write to a company in another country, to get permission to THROW AWAY, their usually useless stuff! I would hate to be hauled off to jail for selling a bamboo steamer at a garage sale!
They'll probably want to start testing gold, to see if it's from this country or not! LOL!

The only way for evil (or just wrong) to preavail is for good men to do nothing!
I bet if they rule in favor of the book company, we'll hear everyone kick and scream then!
Let our gubberment know, if foreign companys want to sell their items in US, then they transfer ownership of said item, to the buyer! We got enough laws and regulations, without having to answer to foreign companys about how we use, sell, and dispose of their junk!

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked Mr.D to post this, as I am not the best with written words, (nor probably spoken ones either).
Yes, it was to get attention to a cause, the Supreme Court case, and possibly get others to help, sign petition, and pass the word one.
I didn't intend it, to bring out ego's, and start a pissing contest.

Usually, if you don't care to eat what's on the supper table, you don't foul the food for the rest. Just leave it be. no?
I hope everyone has a great day! Much Love to all..........

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this petition to be worth signing. It shows where our country is headed.:BangHead:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Textbook and medical journal publishers are some of the lowest forms of greedy, money-grabbing scum out there. Thanks for bringing this up, I hadn't heard anything about it.

Wiley is among the wor$t of the wor$t.

Textbook publishers work to put out a new "edition" every semester so your kids can't sell the heavily overpriced books. Professors get a cut of the action. You get the shaft. More student debt.

signed.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pat-tekker-cat, digg's ego don't need help coming out, so don't blame yourself. :wink:
Wait.... wut....... LOL! KK, should I assume, you are assuming, that I was speaking of digg's? LOL! :wink:
Ya'lls is too funnys! :laughing7:

As far as signing the petition: JUST DO IT! :laughing7:
Rawr! :cat:

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you to those who have signed the petition. I would ask that you spread the word to as many people as you can.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread