Indian Territory
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's what I found my first day out:

metalfindsfirstday.jpg

firstdayoutglassfinds.jpg

This isn't exactly great stuff, but I think this particular location was where an old cabin was. My grandmother was an American Indian whose family lived on this land in territory days & my grandfather was an Anglo whose family lived on the hill above this location. My grandfather's family has told me they heard of an old cabin being in this general location & my dad's brother told me he used to find glass scattered all over this site & he was told a cabin used to be there. Anyway, any advice on searching this location would be greatly appreciated.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes one has to dig the junk to find the treasure. Check around where the front/rear door was at and the trail leading to them. Also, where a clotheline might have been. Where the outhouse might have stood and the trail to it. Any large stands of trees that might have provided shade. Good luck!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the Net, Xtina. You will get LOTS of help here. Good people.My suggestion. Make a map of the location. Put in the trees. Get your eyes down to ground level and look for any slight rises in the ground. That may indicate where foundation was. Look for trees and any plants that are NOT normally found in the surrounding area. Also put on the map all the things you find in the relative spots you found them. Many root cellars and foundations will be filled with debri. The old dump will usually be downhill from the home (well water) so there is less likleyhood of contamination. I will help more as you progress. TTC

lost

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TerryC's advice is right on. You should defiantly spend some extra time looking for their old dump site. Their trash is now today's treasures. And if you find the site, don't just MD it, dig it. You'll know when to stop digging. And, if you really want some adventure, locate the privy and dig that out to. Now that's always a good time to finding bottles and other things you wouldn't believe. That Privy soil can't hurt you. I asked my personal Doctor about the dangers of Privy Digging. He said he "read somewhere" it won't hurt you. I just said, "huh", you read it somewhere. I wanted to add, "and your my Doctor. You read it where?" But I didn't.

OP
OP
X

Xtina

Oct 7, 2012
Indian Territory
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank y'all for your input. I really appreciate it. TerryC, thanks for the advice on the map. I was thinking that was a proper tactic, but was wondering if I was getting a bit too obsessive about the whole deal. Glad to know I'm not.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Obsessive! Sure it is, but I am very into this stuff. I have been detecting for more than 40 years and my body can no longer keep up with my desire to go out everyday. The map thing will help retain thoughts that may escape you later. I also keep a notebook.... at times. As the notebook and experience grows, you will begin to see patterns. The patterns will increase your finds. Success breeds success!!! TTC

OP
OP
X

Xtina

Oct 7, 2012
Indian Territory
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh let me ask this: would the privy have been located on somewhat lower ground than the cabin itself? There is another area where there are a couple of tree which is located not too far from the site itself. The distance is about the same as I recall other family members having their outhouses from their homes (my uncle didn't have inside plumbing until the late 60's).

lost

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard question. Locating an old privy site. Maybe someone more experienced in this Privy Digging will post with better information. I just remember they are out back of the home. I do know you can find them with a long rod probe. The covering soil seem to remain soft forever. I would guess there would be a ground depression the size of an outhouse. The only two Privy Digs I participated in was already located and found with county Plats. Found lots of bottles. Most unbroken with no value. But a fun experience.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here are a couple of things to try. Take a few BLACK AND WHITE photos of the back yard area. Sometimes the sutle difference in veggetation color above the privy is not noticed by the human eye. Also, make a "poker" from a 6 foot steel rod about 1/4 inch in diameter. Have someone weld a plug on the downside end and a T handle on the upside. Shape the plug into a teardrop shap. Use this to poke around in likely privy spots. The soil will be VERY good soil due to the Food value of the privy. If it was filled with debri, the poker will find it. With practice, you will tell the diff from a rock and other stuff. Good luck. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions