Some Information on Purity of Coin Silver via Nitric Acid/Copper Reduction Process

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out of curiosity,boredom, and a few beers, my friend and i attempted our first shot at silver refining this past week. We used the Sodium Nitrate(Nano3) fertilizer and Liquid Fire (Sulphiric Acid) recipe to make our own nitric acid,The copper came from a piece of stripped 8 gauge wire.Anyways,I contributed two quarters a 61 and a 63 to this experiment,David contributed a 60 and a 61 of his own as well.After the entire process dissolving,filtering,copper reduction, back to cement silver,then torching it into a ball, used a bullet die from a 50 cal muzzle loader as a smelting plate and a propane torch from the garage to melt it btw.We decided friday to have his wife take it to work and have it tested as to find out the purity of silver from using this type of refining method,The news that came back was better than expected.The silver purity of the ball was 98 percent pure silver.This reduction method would be worthwhile if you are looking into silver investment as a long term return option.Buying nitric acid wouldnt really pay much for your troubles at the current price of silver ,unless you worked for a replating company or similar of course and could get your hands on mass amounts of scrap but if you are interested in refining your coin and scrap silver to smelt your own silver bars,You could most definitely turn a profit by using this method.The weight of the refined silver was 0.68 at 98 percent purity.Not to bad for a first attempt.Just thought id share some friendly information. Hell you know what they say,"Curiosity killed the Cat" but i like to believe that "Satisfaction Brought him Back".

HH John

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread