seekandfind

Jul 7, 2012
northwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 101/505
ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I cannot pinpoint with it, and the targets are jumpy. I started carrying my bounty hunter along as a pinpointer (automax doesnt get it done either). I watched the video, planted a coin garden ,thought I had it down and wammo, detectors going crazy and I have to dig a small pond to find a penny that locked on as a dime . WHAT THE HELL??!!!! Any sugestions would be appreciated and I am in northwest Indiana so its not the ground, pretty sure its the operator(dispicable me lol). hh

A/CMan

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First I would check the cable connections, then check the batteries, and if you have a coil cover I would take it off and clean it, if you have another coil change it and see if it does better on PP, or you can hold power button down until you get a double beep, then it's reset, but the DD coils take a little time to learn that's if you never had a DD coil but I'm guessing, when all else false send it in,

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My only question to you is, are you holding the pin pointer button down :dontknow: :laughing7:

OP
OP
S

seekandfind

Jul 7, 2012
northwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 101/505
ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Newer batteries,cable is good and yes it is a dd coil. I have been working with this detector quite a bit, guess i will have to keep at it. Thanks for the advice.

OP
OP
S

seekandfind

Jul 7, 2012
northwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 101/505
ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Spartacus, yep holding down pinpointing button, I have noticed a little malfunctioning there though. A couple times I looked down and nothing, really had to put the old thumb to it good and hard, even then still having problems. I think I am just going to have to appeal to another more experienced mder in the area for a tutorial. Thank you for the input .HH

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
With going crazy,you list three different things. Pinpointing, i,m using "cutout" rectangle in coil,(nearest shaft,in front of it) coil touching ground and highest audio tone while pinpointing, sight through cutout,keep eyes on that spot as you move coil out of the way,mark spot. I scuff earth with one finger. If a shallow target suggested i then try propointer to confirm target,if deep pinpoint with detector again and see if same spot gets marked. Long targets and multiple can throw pinpointing off,usually confirmed on retrieval. Had some crazy yesterday with sensitivity to high,when i was hardly near a penny it was hollering.
Not sure why penny read as dime,could be it was not laying flat?. You should see different locations between zinc and copper pennies if i remember correctly. Not much but a little. Once in a while my detector runs back and forth across scale,usually when going from dry ground to wet ground or near concrete. When it doesn't,urn it off a couple seconds then back on and it usually quits. If i starts again i turn sensitivity down. H.H.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

seekandfind

Jul 7, 2012
northwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 101/505
ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info relevantchair, the pinpointing method should help. One question tho, when you turn the sensitivity down does that not affect the depth at which you are detecting? For instance atabout three quarters sensitivity I mark stuff (supposedly) at about six inches deep , full sensitivity is eight + and I really dont like digging that deep unless in the woods or on the beach. Well thanks again and happy hunting

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Depth meter a reference, you,ll find factors causing different objects in different conditions to be at different depths than shown. We are asking alot from our machines. When less targets or what was causing (?) Machine to stutter let up sens.can be bumped back up. I,m not sure how much depth you lose from a couple notches below max to a couple or three lower but if needed for control.... Took me awhile to get the hang of pinpointing with 350. First couple targets were about 4 inches further away from where i marked. After wearing out a set of batteries detector was getting alot funner! H.H.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread