Whats are the Deepest metal detectors on dryland?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are confused. The excal and and pulse8x are underwater detectors and you heard someone talking about their depth RATING, not how deep they can detect an object.

There is nothing other than a VERY large 2-box style detector that can detect to the depths you want. It has to be aVERY massive object at that depth to return a signal, so you won't be finding coins, or even a jar of coins. Maybe a car at that depth.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
6-7 feet :icon_scratch: What are you looking to do, dig a grave :tongue3:

Just saying that it seems like an awful amount of labor involved to find perhaps nothing :laughing7:

OP
OP
V

vergador

Greenie
Sep 26, 2012
That is very helpful, a jar of coins would be the ideal object. I was looking at the fisher Gemini 3 as it is a 2 box detector. Problem is that it really us hard to use and has its draw backs. I saw a posting of someone findings a 154 lb rock of alleged silver with a fisher f75 I believe.

Thanks for the information

OP
OP
V

vergador

Greenie
Sep 26, 2012
spartacus53 said:
6-7 feet :icon_scratch: What are you looking to do, dig a grave :tongue3:

Just saying that it seems like an awful amount of labor involved to find perhaps nothing :laughing7:

I'm looking to find about a jar of coins or buried coins in a chest like retainer. Heard of multiple findings in Mexico. Then again you can't contact these people because they must give up all their findings or half. 6-7 feet would be the adequate depth to dig. 2 box detectors were suggested

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to learn to distinguish facts from fairy tales. Nobody buried thier wealth 6-7 feet deep. It wouldn't even be 3 feet deep. Most items like jars were buried anywhere from just below the surface, down to the lenght of thier arm (2 - 2 1/2 feet). Most people didn't even bury thier cache. They kept it hidden somewhere in the house where it could be checked on, added to, or used easily.

OP
OP
V

vergador

Greenie
Sep 26, 2012
Jason in Enid said:
You need to learn to distinguish facts from fairy tales. Nobody buried thier wealth 6-7 feet deep. It wouldn't even be 3 feet deep. Most items like jars were buried anywhere from just below the surface, down to the lenght of thier arm (2 - 2 1/2 feet). Most people didn't even bury thier cache. They kept it hidden somewhere in the house where it could be checked on, added to, or used easily.

I also figured it to be around 3 ft but I wanted to make sure. There was a battle in my home state where the Mexican revolution took place I believe. There was an area where the rebels worked on ammo. They were losing the battle so they got rid of their cache In certain areas.

Thanks for the tips

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You need to look into a Minelab GPX 5000, which is a pulse induction metal detector. It can easily find a jar full of coins at 45" in depth. I have seen the machine recover single coins (a quarter) at 30".

OP
OP
V

vergador

Greenie
Sep 26, 2012
Terry Soloman said:
You need to look into a Minelab GPX 5000, which is a pulse induction metal detector. It can easily find a jar full of coins at 45" in depth. I have seen the machine recover single coins (a quarter) at 30".

Thanks, that is very helpful

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is very helpful, a jar of coins would be the ideal object. I was looking at the fisher Gemini 3 as it is a 2 box detector. Problem is that it really us hard to use and has its draw backs. I saw a posting of someone findings a 154 lb rock of alleged silver with a fisher f75 I believe.

Thanks for the information

That rock wouldn't of made the banner if it was alleged. There are some real sharp folks around here and a fake would never have been nominated, much less make the banner. That member was prospecting if I remember correctly. Which is really a different animal than coin shooting or relic hunting.

Depth can vary on soil moisture, mineralization machine settings, skill of the user, and sometimes your zodiac 8-) (lol). Deeper isn't always better. If it was everyone who wasn't a beginner would have two box machines and a shovel attached to their riding lawn mower. Or better yet have a Bobcat.

Get a good basic all-round machine or a relic machine and buy a larger coil to go with it. Then go research for likely areas to find those jar of coin cache's. Depth won't do you any good if the cache isn't below the coil.

K

Kentucky Kache

To answer your question, cache hunting is looking for valuables that someone hid, either in the ground, or elsewhere. It can be money, arrowheads, or anything that someone purposely hid.
Relic hunting is looking for things like Civil War bullets, old tools...anything that was used in the past that may have some value.

Note: A single arrowhead would be a relic. A stash of arrowheads, if purposely hid, would be a CACHE of individual relics.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To answer your question, cache hunting is looking for valuables that someone hid, either in the ground, or elsewhere. It can be money, arrowheads, or anything that someone purposely hid.
Relic hunting is looking for things like Civil War bullets, old tools...anything that was used in the past that may have some value.

Note: A single arrowhead would be a relic. A stash of arrowheads, if purposely hid, would be a CACHE of individual relics.

Who asked that? I never read anyone asking for a definition of a cache.

OP
OP
V

vergador

Greenie
Sep 26, 2012
Jason in Enid said:

I actually did, I didn't know what the definitions were. Pretty interesting stuff., I can't find either lol

OP
OP
V

vergador

Greenie
Sep 26, 2012
Kentucky Kache said:

Thanks, that was pretty helpful

K

Kentucky Kache

Right there in the opening post.

I would like to metal detect on dry land roughly around 6-7 feet. I've heard of the Fisher Pulse 8x and the Minelab Excalibur reaching 200 ft lengths in water. Though people have told me they won't reach good depth in dry land. Any recommendations? Also, what's the difference between relic and cach hunting. Thanks for your opinion s

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, somehow I missed it there and when I saw your reply I scrolled up through the replies. Not seeing the question in the replies it seemed odd. I guess I'm just getting old and forgetful! Just ignore the old man talking to himself.

K

Kentucky Kache

Yeah, somehow I missed it there and when I saw your reply I scrolled up through the replies. Not seeing the question in the replies it seemed odd. I guess I'm just getting old and forgetful! Just ignore the old man talking to himself.

I'd have to ignore myself if I did that.:laughing9:

Gregmid40

Mar 20, 2013
Advance, NC.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter VLF/TR 840, Tesoro Tejon, Bounty Hunter Time Ranger, Fisher 1225,1260,1265,1266,1270X, Garrett Freedom Ace CDC, MP Series MP5 Pro, Garrett Coin Hunter TR Disc. (1978), Mikron NRG-110, De
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to metal detect on dry land roughly around 6-7 feet. I've heard of the Fisher Pulse 8x and the Minelab Excalibur reaching 200 ft lengths in water. Though people have told me they won't reach good depth in dry land. Any recommendations? Also, what's the difference between relic and cach hunting. Thanks for your opinion s

It all depends on what you mean by 'deepest'. The deepest (detecting) metal detector is reportedly the Nexus Standard SE. 2' air test detection on an individual coin but the Minelab GPX 5000 is reported to find some coins at a little over 30" deep in the ground. The detector that can be (submerged) the deepest, I would think would be the J.W. Fisher Pulse 8X.

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

think about it,are you going to dig 6-7' to bury some cash/coins..No,out of site out of mind..Me personally would bury no deeper than about 8-10" of soil on top..8" or 8' it did not matter back then or even today as metal detectors did not excist back then and even now 99% of people aren't going to equate that into buring a hoard,quick retrieval is whats important..s.t

mreese1849

Apr 6, 2012
Ga
Detector(s) used
Present: Minelab equinox 600
Past: Teknetics eurotek pro, Minelab xterra 705, At pro, Fisher f75 se, Explorer SE PRO, bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you find a good cache... just don't go water hunting and dig a 200ft deep hole as we will probably never hear from you again lol I'm just messing with you. Read some reviews and find you something you will be happy with and dig those overload signals.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions