Do you dig Pull Tab signals?

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm currently running the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV for the next 17 days.. it's a great beginner machine and has served me well. Upgrading to the Ace 250 on the 27th. I've always ran on disc mode throwing out pull tab signals, essentially nickels, do you do that too? I switch over a lot when im in a high coin area, but i've noticed I dig more can slaw than anything better.. and no im not just lazy or wanting to find gold the first day... just wondering.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you disc out pulltabs and nickels, you can forget finding gold.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry is correct, when you desc out pulltabs and nickles you desc out 99% of the gold. Good news is you want have to waste time digging nickles, pull tabs or GOLD!!!...

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I don't care for that tone.. :icon_thumright:

Besides, there are a ton of people that are looking for gold and I just don't share that interest

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
or you can miss cool stuff like this

Attachments

• Picture 242.jpg
    Picture 242.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 148

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
In fact I do dig all signals. I feel the machines will not be completely honest with you, just like people. My 250 has told me there was a dollar at 8 inches. I dig the target, and it's a shovel head at about a foot. so until it starts to tell the truth, I'll keep diggin everything.

Bill

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Alas, I've dug more than my share,only found one class ring,but I still dig them,now and again! God Bless Chris

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In fact I do dig all signals. I feel the machines will not be completely honest with you, just like people. My 250 has told me there was a dollar at 8 inches. I dig the target, and it's a shovel head at about a foot. so until it starts to tell the truth, I'll keep diggin everything.

Bill

Bill detectors are tuned for coin size targets, large targets deep will read a lot shallower...

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

I'm currently running the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV for the next 17 days.. it's a great beginner machine and has served me well. Upgrading to the Ace 250 on the 27th. I've always ran on disc mode throwing out pull tab signals, essentially nickels, do you do that too? I switch over a lot when im in a high coin area, but i've noticed I dig more can slaw than anything better.. and no im not just lazy or wanting to find gold the first day... just wondering.

If I am hunting in a junky urban park, looking for old coins, no, I do not dig low conductors. Maybe deep ones, if I'm angling for nickels. But no, I'm not a "hero" to look for rings in junky parks. When I'm at the beach, yes, I dig all low tones. In fact, sometimes I skip the high tones on the beach, when targets are prolific enough (like after storm erosion when targets are everywhere).

Because if you are that intent on finding gold rings, what the h*ck are you doing hunting junky parks, to begin with? Simply go to an area better ratioed for gold rings: swimming beaches.

So to answer your question: it depends on the type hunt spot, and the goals of each. There are some parks where your junk ratio would easily be 1000 to 1, for aluminum to gold. So pity the poor fellow who goes to blighted parks like this, and follows the advice to "dig all lest you miss a gold ring".

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on where I hunt.

At the beach I dig everything above iron. I have found my share of gold rings from this, but I have dug thousands more tabs than gold.

At the park I dig the very narrow window of nickles and nothing else until the coin range. It takes far too much time to dig targets from the hard Oklahoma dirt to waste it digging every piece of scrap metal in the hopes there is a piece of gold somewhere in the ground there. It would take actual years to work through a single, small park if you don't have some decent levels of discrimination. I can cherry pick a LOT of ground in that time and recover much more silver and clad.

It's all about the time / goodies ratio.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will have to do a search, a few years back a member here found a really nice, very OLD gold ring in Missouri while hunting an old park, the ring dated back to very Early Saint Louis times.

Maxore

Sep 12, 2012
Utah
Detector(s) used
MXT W/ 950
MXT-Pro w/ 6x10DD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all the gold rings I've found have been in the pull tab range just very strong solid signals. Sucks digging pull tabs sucks more missing rings. I generally find pull unless close to the surface jump around a lot more then a gold ring would. Once you get your new machine just put together a good test bed to figure out the differences.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Mr. S, bet you're sorry you asked. To answer your question, it's not what we think, it's what you FEEL. If you feel you should dig, do it. If not, don't. You have lots of years left to dig stuff up(about 80). So relax, enjoy, dig what you feel and the treasures will come...

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As some of the previous people have said I won't dig the pull tab signals if I am in a trashy area. But if the VDI is a strong signal then yes I will dig those. What I mean by a strong signal is if you get a VDI of 14 everytime you swing over the target then I would dig it. If it reads 14 on one pass and 45 on the next then 32 on the next and so on then I would not dig that target. Same with nickels. I have found if it reads 22 every time I pass over it almost every time it would be a nickel. Now don't go out looking for strong 14 signals. Gold rings will come up as several VDI readings. Just dig every target that stays about the same everytime you swing over it and you should be fine.

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found 2 separate gold rings digging pulltab signals, one was a beach the other was the edge of a park at the parking lot. But I do get burned out digging pulltab signals in a trashy park.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have my settings in the nickel/pull-tab range. Though if I just have a short window to detect, I turn the discrimination up to just get mostly coins. One day early this fall I started out in high discrimination and was getting coins right and left. Once I hit my coin goal, I turned it back down. Less than five minutes later I had a gold ring. I also dug up a small gold ring in the middle of a s-load of pull tabs around a dug-out bench.

To dig or not...yeah as much as I hate them sometimes, I normally dig em.

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I almost always dig pull tab signals,that goes for s-cap signals as well.I dig alot of steady foil targets as well,But in honesty....About 85 percent of the time when digging those signals,It turns out to be junk.

"Diggem All,Let the Trash Man Sort`em Out"

HH John

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's say you dig 1000 pull tab signals at 2 minutes per recovery(liberal number I know) that is roughly 34 hours of work, if you find just one ring valued at a few hundred to a thousand + dollars you have "worked" 34 hours for a nice pay check.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Let's say you dig 1000 pull tab signals at 2 minutes per recovery(liberal number I know) that is roughly 34 hours of work, if you find just one ring valued at a few hundred to a thousand + dollars you have "worked" 34 hours for a nice pay check.

Hosensack, Are you talking turf hunting? Assuming you were, let's dissect what you're saying a little bit more: Let's say if your stat's are accurate, and a person can dig 1000 aluminum/low TID signals, in 34 hrs. Assuming the average md'r hunts for .... say .... 4 hrs. at a time (after work, or perhaps on a Sat, AM, etc...). Or even if he's hardcore, and goes for 8 hrs. non-stop, etc... You're STILL talking about 6 to 8 trips, before eventually finding a gold item.

And do you *really* think you can dig 1000 holes in turf ..... without catching the ire of landscapers?? If a person is cherry picking for deep silver/copper, he's only going to be digging a few dozen holes in a day, verses your example of a few hundreds!

I had the rare and unique opportunity, back in 2006, to hunt where an park from the 1870s was being scraped out and bulldozed to pieces, to prepare for artificial turf installation. For a few glorious days, after the tractors scraped off the turf down to 6 or 8", EVERY coin was old :tongue3: (because the clad and aluminum layer were literally scraped away down to the older stratas). So we were in "relic" mindset, and "dug all" except iron. However, by about the 3rd day, they folded back in some of the surface soil, (in their effort to get the exact gradient, measurements, and so forth). And now we had to deal with modern junk and targets, as all the targets became jumbled together. But STILL it was "no problem", since digging was easy (it was a demolition site, so we didn't need to worry about "holes" and so forth).

An interesting phenomenom occurred by the end of an entire week of digging like this: We could get hundreds of targets per night, since we could treat it in relic-mindset, and could dig at-will, as fast as we wanted. I saved every single target, in boxes, for an entire 7 or 8 nights of hunting. At the end of it all, I carefully studied the ratios of all the different types of targets. YES there was a few gold items (6 or 7, if I recall: a few rings, a pendant, and some nick-nacks). And there was THOUSANDS of aluminum junk items. I mean, keep in mind, this was a junky blighted urban inner-city park. So junky that NO one ever bothered thinking they were going to be a hero and get gold rings from there (or even old coins, for that matter, owing to how blighted this area was).

I can honestly say, there would have been NO WAY in heck it would have been worth anyone's time, going through those type ratios (which were probably 1000 to 1 aluminum vs gold items) to angle for gold in a park like this, UNLESS it was a demolition site, where digging is not an issue. If someone had been that h*ll-bent on finding gold rings, they'd have been much better served simply going to the beach, and plying the sand long enough.

Even if you're not near the ocean, there are fresh-water swim lakes, even in the middle-states, right? And even if there's no lakes near someone, then for sure there's sandboxes, PT courses, sand-volley-ball courts, and other such locations.

Bottom line is, no, there are some areas where it simply isn't worth it to "be a hero" and angle for gold rings in turf.

Some turf though might be better than others. Certainly some parks are more "upscale" and not as blighted/junky. And obviously sports usages (verses picnicking) also lends to less trash, and more jewelry (on account of the frolicking/thrashing movements of sports).

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lot good point there tom and a lot of variables .... good reading

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread