New research method to share!

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got off the phone with the County Property Accessor. She is a great lady and used to work for me in my insurance agency and she was eager to help. I recently discovered an old home site while walking along some slews that come in off the TN River. Hunters have told me of old foundations near there so started checking the high ground as the area used to flood before the dams were built. Found lots of pottery, porcelain and pieces of crockery on top of the ground. Also some early 1800's penny buttons a pewter spoon, and musket balls with my detector. The land owner had no clue that any old homes were there and he has owned it for decades. She advised that if I could point it out on a map she would show me how to pull the old deeds and try to figure out the original date of construction and owner (I kind of knew this already). For those of you in more rural areas this may work for you. She said If I had suspect areas she could tell if there had ever been deeds for homes that are no longer there ( this I did not know ). So long story short...find a spring or water source etc. on your topo (more likely to be homes near) and go check for deeds on residences on the plat. According to her should be quick easy research. This whole area I am hunting has went from a very prosperous little town starting in 1812 to nothing by 1870 simply because the coal mines pulled all the labor etc. when the coal was discovered. Have had lots of trouble doing the research on this area until this. No census maps etc. I love hunting the old home sites as I am sure many of you do and hope this really pays off. Will keep you posted and please let me know if it works for you guys. For those of you who already know this sorry for the long post. Remember it is public record and they have to give you access.:icon_thumleft:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OUTstanding post, Guns! Tnx. TTC

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In small towns, you can get information from animal hunters and staff in local library, about treasures, cellar holes and other information. Good luck. [email protected]

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In real estate will often search old deeds as I deal with timber tracts and large tracts of land. Some are on onion skin paper and very interesting to read. Good post. If you get the old topographic maps they will show all old homestead sites with a dot and roads will a dash line as well.Some if shown on old maps can be used as easements for access. Some even have the owners name and a quick search puts a date on it. Good post!!

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good bit of information here!! Thanks for sharing!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread