Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
The Idiot Box: How TV Is Turning Us All Into Zombies

Oct 12, 2012

Television re-wires your mind and alters your consciousness; Studies find that children’s brains are not developing properly

TV turns you into a zombie.

While these words are more often than not used as a tiresome metaphor to highlight how much crap we are forced to endure on television today, they do in fact serve as a deadly accurate literal statement.

Two separate studies this month alone have found that excessive amounts of television, even if it is merely on in the background, can detrimentally effect the development of children’s brains, to the point where they struggle to socially engage when they become older.

Add to this the already extensively documented impact that the television has on all of us, the power it has to literally alter our consciousness and shut down critical thinking, and it is no wonder that it was long ago dubbed the idiot box.

As reported by Reuters this month, researchers from the University of North Carolina Wilmington (UNCW), found that background noise emitted from television is so distracting and mesmerizing to children that it is impacting their ability to interact with other human beings and potentially slowing down cognitive thinking and language development.

The study, published in the journal Pediatrics, found that children in the US are now exposed to more than five hours a day of television. Matthew Lapierre, who led the study, explained that children who are subjected to the most TV spend less time interacting with other children and parents.

Lapierre also found that younger children are subjected to the most background television.

“This is a clear warning signal to parents that if they are not watching TV, they ought to turn it off,” said Dr. Victor Strasburger, a pediatrician from the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque who has previously studied media exposure among children. “[It is also] a reminder that parents should be avoiding screen time in infants under two.” he said.

“It’s confusing for babies who are trying to get their language together to have indistinguishable voices in the background.” Strasburger also noted, telling reporters that when parents bring their children to him, he can tell which toddlers are over exposed to TV.

“The babies that are being read to are just chattering away, and the babies that sit in front of a TV are silent,” he said. “It means their language development is threatened – they may catch up, but it’s a concern.”

In a separate study, doctors at the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health in London found that children born today will have watched a full year of television by the time they are seven years old. The study also found that on average children now spend more time watching television than they do in school.

Dr Aric Sigman published the study in the Archives Of Disease In Childhood, a medical journey jointly own by the British Medical Journal group.

Sigman noted that such extensive exposure to television can lead to a void when it comes to social relationships, can lead to attention deficit problems, and can promote significant psychological difficulties.

Sigman also noted that over exposure to new technologies such as 3D televisions and consoles could seriously affect the development of depth perception in children.

The study recommends preventing children under three years old from watching television altogether, and says that all children should be limited to less than two hours of TV per day.

“As health risks are reported to occur beyond exposure of two hours of screen time per day, although the average child is exposed to three times this amount, a robust initiative to encourage a reduction in daily recreational screen time could lead to significant improvements in child health and development.” Sigman noted.

In a report issued one year ago, the American Academy of Pediatrics pointed out that scores of previous studies have come to the same conclusions; that there is a direct link between increased TV time and developmental delays in children.

In 2010, another study published in Pediatrics, found that during analysis of over 1,000 children between the ages of ten and eleven, those who spend at least two hours a day in front of a television screen are 60 percent more likely to have psychological problems than children who spend less or no time. The study also noted that even children taking part in physical activities but still watching TV are still fifty percent more likely to suffer problems such as hyperactivity, difficulty with peers and friends, poor conduct and antisocial kinds of behavior.

Further studies published in the Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine, found that children exposed to more TV are significantly more likely to exhibit aggressive behavior and perform poorly in school. In addition, the findings noted that children who watch more TV are more likely to eat more junk-food and suffer bullying at the hands of classmates – consequences that have their own brain re-wiring effects.

Other recent scientific studies have noted that many programs produced specifically for children may have even worse effects on their development because they are very fast moving, thus overtaxing the brain and promoting reduced attention span.

Owing to such proven effects of television and video games, children’s minds are being numbed before they have even developed. By the time they reach adulthood, they act according to decisions made to a great extent unconsciously. They are effectively zombies; humans operating with an impulsive, reactionary mind set, at the expense of logical analysis and critical thought.

And kids are not the only ones who are susceptible to television’s ability to create armies of the walking dead.

It is commonly known that television flicker rates induce alpha brain waves, lulling the brain into a more subconscious state that can be compared to sleep, literally inducing a type of hypnosis within the viewer that makes them more susceptible to suggestion.

This has been known since the 1960s, and was most notably proven in an experiment in 1969, by Herbert Krugman. The research, undertaken by Krugman as part of a larger project concerned with advertising, revealed that the brain’s left hemisphere, which processes information logically and analytically, effectively tunes out almost completely when an individual watches television.

The radiant light and flicker rate of television screens cause brain activity to drop toward more of a theta state. Critical thinking reduces, leaving the parts of the brain that hold memories, sensations and emotions the most active. Whatever is coming from the TV therefore somewhat bypasses the logical mind and is embedded directly into the subconscious. In other words, TV appeals more to emotions than logic.

Numerous studies have also found that flicker rates in video games cause altered consciousness. Some have been shown to reduce brain activity to below Delta frequency.

Other studies have also flagged up a link between watching too much television and Alzheimer’s disease. The semi conscious state induced by television is thought to directly contribute to the symptoms of memory, speech and perception problems.

Krugman also discovered that reading and listening to audio increases cognition and builds neuron paths because you have to think critically and envision the “theater of the mind”.

In addition, the crossover from the left to the right brain induced by watching television, causes a release of the body’s natural opiates, similar to a release of endorphins when exercising. This has the effect of making the viewer feel good. Consequently, withdrawal symptoms can kick in if viewers turn off the turn. As with any form of opiate-withdrawal, symptoms include increased anxiety, frustration, and depression.

Experiments conducted in the 1970s found that people who turn off their TVs for long periods after prolonged viewing suffer from depression, with some noting that they felt as though they had “lost a friend.”

A combination of four studies, published in the Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, concluded that television shows can instill a sense of belonging in viewers with low self-esteem and a lack of social relationships. Referring to the notion as social surrogacy hypothesis, psychologists at the University at Buffalo and Miami University, Ohio, found that in order to fill the emotional void of social deprivation, some people forge relationships with fictional characters in TV shows.

TV really is the opiate of the masses.

Of course, what I describe here is only a snapshot. We are today bombarded from all angles with distractions, substances, and conditions created to transform the way we interpret our reality. We are being conditioned from birth to act increasingly without consciousness; the one thing that sets us apart from every other living thing in the known universe.

We are literally being programmed into a waking sleep, a zombie-like existence. We must act vigilantly and educate others if we are to break this programming and preserve our humanity.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In our previous discussion about how much tv do you watch, I stated that my daughter watches tv 12 hr a day. I still stand behind that statement. During the summer and weekends she does. I have a daughter, 23 and a son 24. When my kids were entering elementary school, I told my wife that my kids will not do home work in front of the tv. Well, I lost that battle and all through grade school and high school, my kids sat in front of the tv, doing their homework. My daughter graduated with high honers, made the deans list in college and is presently student teaching. My son is in the Air Force and is a staff sargent. He has advanced quicker then classmates he graduated with that entered the service a year before him. Personally, I have no use for tv

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I love TV. Without it I couldn't watch Boom Baby do his thing. See what you'd be missing. Besides, when you get old and gray and are in the nursing home, that's all you will have to do. That is until the rest of the "old timers" steal your teeth and beat you up and take your pudding away for all the weird ideas you expound upon.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without reading that whole manifesto, I have also come to a conclusion. With all of these so called scientists sitting in front of the boob tube during these tests must be affected as well according to their theory. I just wonder how these one time bright people were able to monitor and record anything after being turned into turnips according to their own findings :laughing7:

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing can say it like that classic movie "Network" from 1976.......

"So. A rich little man with white hair died. What has that got to do with the price of rice, right? And *why* is that woe to us? Because you people, and sixty-two million other Americans, are listening to me right now. Because less than three percent of you people read books! Because less than fifteen percent of you read newspapers! Because the only truth you know is what you get over this tube. Right now, there is a whole, an entire generation that never knew anything that didn't come out of this tube! This tube is the Gospel, the ultimate revelation. This tube can make or break presidents, popes, prime ministers... This tube is the most awesome God-damned force in the whole godless world, and woe is us if it ever falls in to the hands of the wrong people.........

"So, you listen to me. Listen to me: Television is not the truth! Television is a God-damned amusement park! Television is a circus, a carnival, a traveling troupe of acrobats, storytellers, dancers, singers, jugglers, side-show freaks, lion tamers, and football players. We're in the boredom-killing business! So if you want the truth... Go to God! Go to your gurus! Go to yourselves! Because that's the only place you're ever going to find any real truth."

"But, man, you're never going to get any truth from us. We'll tell you anything you want to hear; we lie like hell. We'll tell you that, uh, Kojak always gets the killer, or that nobody ever gets cancer at Archie Bunker's house, and no matter how much trouble the hero is in, don't worry, just look at your watch; at the end of the hour he's going to win. We'll tell you any sh*t you want to hear. We deal in *illusions*, man! None of it is true! But you people sit there, day after day, night after night, all ages, colors, creeds... We're all you know. You're beginning to believe the illusions we're spinning here. You're beginning to think that the tube is reality, and that your own lives are unreal. You do whatever the tube tells you! You dress like the tube, you eat like the tube, you raise your children like the tube, you even *think* like the tube! This is mass madness, you maniacs! In God's name, you people are the real thing! *WE* are the illusion! So turn off your television sets. Turn them off now. Turn them off right now. Turn them off and leave them off! Turn them off right in the middle of the sentence I'm speaking to you now! TURN THEM OFF..."

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So turn off your television sets. Turn them off now. Turn them off right now. Turn them off and leave them off! Turn them off right in the middle of the sentence I'm speaking to you now! TURN THEM OFF..."

Muddyhandz, I guess you shut the movie off at that command... Just when I was getting into it :laughing7:

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apparently bath salts turn you into zombies as well so I'll stick to tv thanks

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Red James cash,
If you have kids, are you raising them through their first three years without any TV? If so (and to quote Rudyard Kipling), "You're a better man than I am Gunga Din!" And thanks to the ability to 'tape' shows 24 hours a day, watching TV could be contained in the showing of 'quality' shows; from Sesame Street-type shows through onscreen classes and the likes of PBS, The History Channel, the Learning Channel, NOVA and other educational shows.
From my viewpoint, worse trappings are seen in kids 15-30 (!!) who are addicted to computer games, especially those geared to the goal of killing, 'zapping' or 'taking out' opponents.
Don.......

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Alright, LETS CUT TO THE CHASE. I am 75 and I have been watching TV from the beginning. Yes that was on a 4" screen with a bubble magnifier in front of it. It seams I was born with a built in BS filter so I am not the worse for it but I did manage to pick up a load of information that has helped me to understand life.
There are benefits to watching TV. Don't believe me! OK here's the proof. I know some of you like the show Gold Rush on the discovery channel. Well it is coming back on Oct.26 9/8c and someone watching is going to hit the mother load. That is $100K ! Just register and watch the show. Strike Gold Sweepstakes : Gold Rush : Discovery Channel Good luck, Frank

Attachments

• hand print-2_edited-6.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-6.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 316

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TV is no different than any other medium, books, newspapers, magazines, radio even conversations.....It can be good or bad all depends on how you relate to it. Even listening to conversations of paranoid people talk can cause some people to see imaginary conspiracies around every corner where they wouldn't have before listening..........

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
That was very good Treasure Hunter. Is that called a veiled thought? LOL

Attachments

• skull etc 019-3-Resting Rose.jpg
    skull etc 019-3-Resting Rose.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 117

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was very good Treasure Hunter. Is that called a veiled thought? LOL

If I am understanding what your saying it wasn't meant to be...... Just observation over the years, Im not far far behind you in age...........

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
What conspiracies are those Treasure hunter?Television is loaded with subliminal messaging.Its pretty tough to put subliminal messaging in books or any printed word,pictures yes,words no,conversation,no.Please elaborate on the so called conspiracy theories thoough.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All things in moderation.

Muddyhandz claims only 3% of us read books...I guess that explains why the "recommended reading" part of this site is so dead. I can't get enough to read, so many good treasure books out there.

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Muddyhandz claims only 3% of us read books...I guess that explains why the "recommended reading" part of this site is so dead. I can't get enough to read, so many good treasure books out there.

Very good observation there Gold Maven,funny as hell too.When i was growing up most kids when they got home from school,first thing they did was to turn on the tv.Me? I read from an encyclopedia set.People now depend mostly on computers for information instead of reading.To me its not the same thing.People as they get older just repeat the process they learned when they were young.They get home from work ,they turn on the TV.Very well trained slaves arent they.And you are SLAVES whether you know it or not.

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All things in moderation.

Not my claim, just quoting a movie that was made over 35 years ago. So I'd imagine that it's even less nowadays!

Why would anyone read treasure hunting books when it's easier to start a thread like "Need help....Where do I go detecting?" instead of doing something called research.

Part of my living comes from dealing in antiquarian books.......which is a dying business these days! I still helps me find old sites.
Contrary to what the majority thinks, not everything can be found on the internet. Those things called books are still the best!

Cheers,
Dave.

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
:occasion14:
Part of my living comes from dealing in antiquarian books.......which is a dying business these days! I still helps me find old sites.
Contrary to what the majority thinks, not everything can be found on the internet. Those things called books are still the best!

Right you are MuddyHandz.Just as I'm not here telling people not to watch or to watch tv.They'll do what they want,(PROGRAMED TO DO LITERALLY )anyway.All I know is that I'll be laughing like hell at them when the day comes and its coming soon.:laughing9:

Calvin.Coin

Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern America
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What conspiracies are those Treasure hunter?Television is loaded with subliminal messaging.Its pretty tough to put subliminal messaging in books or any printed word,pictures yes,words no,conversation,no.Please elaborate on the so called conspiracy theories thoough.

It is not tough at all to control the direction of thought through any medium...That's how I read what TH was saying.

Personally I do not care for television much, but will readily admit to there being much worth watching. Still, I would much rather have a stack of books to learn from. Even a fancy touch-pad loaded with a library's worth of volumes is not the same as a single good ol' book. There are so many variables that can't be replicated digitally.

However, real world books are just as dangerous as television in controlling thought. That is why oppressive governments always abolish a free press. In that same vein, face to face conversation can invoke action as well. That is why public gatherings are quickly dispersed during times of conflict.

I agree that TV can be utilized as a tool to placate the masses. But why fault the tool? Or the people? We're all in the same boat...we are the people!

peace,
cc

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
With the written word,or open dialog,a person would have to be for want of a better word ,much more of a sucker to be fooled or pulled in.As i was saying thats what the subliminal messaging is all about with tv.Reading or listening does not turn off half of your brain.More people can be reached through tv than through any other media source.The people are to blame if they allow themselves to be conned,its their fault and nobody elses.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions