Minelab 705 Coil selection for coins ? - Kansas black dirt

barberman

Oct 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got a Minelab 705 Gold with the 5x10 18.5khz DD coil. Dealer said it was the way to go as the 5x10 alone was a $200 coil. Great, but I'm wondering if a stock 9" 7.5khz concentric is better for coins. I mostly detect around sidewalks for coins. Pull tabs and foil are plentiful. From what I understand a DD coil sweeps a broader path, has shallower depth and pinpointing is harder than a concentric. Kansas black dirt with maybe some burnt coal cinders here and there.

Comments appreciated.
Rick

................Been detecting since '72, Relco, Whites, Compass, Bounty, Garrett. Found the most with the old Relco when we dug everything!

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I owned a 705, I had several coils for it and my favorite for coin hunting was the 5X10 18.5Khz coil. You could get into tight places with it and it was pretty good in trash. I also had the 6" 18.5Khz that I used in extremely trashy areas. I never had depth problems with the 705 even with the 6". If I was in open areas, I generally ran the 10" mid frequency but I always wished that I had bought the 10" 18.5Khz instead of the mid frequency. For some reason I just liked the high freq coils better and with all my coils being high frequency I would not have to remember two sets of numbers. If I was going to buy a concentric and was strictly a coinshooter, I probably would consider the low freq coil because of it's going to be better on silver. I am just a fan of the DD coil and I feel that if I lose any depth it's probably fairly minimum and the separation ability was an overriding factor. You have a great detector and I wish I had mine back since I had to sell my XP Deus.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread