decision time

bill gent

Sep 22, 2006
jersey city new jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
heres my delima I have approx XXX dollars to spend on a MD so the decision is buy a new MD with warrenty like a M6 or simular or top of the line MD w/o a warrenty that was used by somebody else I do think for a few extra dollars i can get a top of the line with a transfurable warrenty but it will put me in the red

used comes with usually a few etra goodies but -----------let the buyer beware
new (whites) has a 100 gift goodie

sheeesh I need help before I'll need professional help (if ya follow me)

help me out guys please want to get the most for my bucks

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
my thoughts, for what its worth, on buying electronics, is that i would rather buy new and get something i know is factory tested with a warranty than to buy used and toss the dice. thats just me though. ::)

OP
OP
bill gent

bill gent

Sep 22, 2006
jersey city new jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
I hear ya but not an easy choice when u see the big boy toys should i hold out for a dual freq if i want to detect a wet beach or go wit the m6

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i guess i should add that i would buy used from someone that i trusted ;).

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would buy used if it looked like it hasn't been abused, check the bottom of the coil, cracks, excessive scratches, check all the bells/whistles and give it a good test drive. Money is money, if you can save a buck...go for it!

DigMO

Sep 29, 2006
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX,Whites 6000 Di PRO SL
Bill-I got both of my detectors used.I bought the DFX off of ebay at the beginning of the summer.I looked real good a the pics-to see if it had been taken care of-asked the seller lots of questions.I paid less than what a new detector would of cost and got coil cover,two pinpointers,headphones,soft carry case and a hard carry case-plus the DFX-with the manuals.I know it's a roll of the dice sometimes but I try to do my homework on things selling on ebay.I only use sellers that take paypal-no personal checks or money orders and I look at their feedback to see if it is positive.Hope I helped you a little-take care~DM

detector de metales

Oct 12, 2006
Madison, Wisconsin
I bought my Whites Silver Eagle on Ebay from a dealer in California, Was great cuz I was able to ask him some questions before I won the bid! I was not dissapointed and I saved some money in the process! Love my detector even tho it doesn't have all the bells the DFX has its still top of the line!

S

sendin

I also had good luck buying used, but I used craigslist.org when I got my detector. Don't know if craigslist is big in your area, but it is huge around Sand Fransicko, Kalifornia. Met the owner and tested in in a grassy area next to Home Depot. Got a XLT for under $400 with about 10 hrs on it. Got some other used stuff on ebay and did what is suggested above - no problems. If you are willing to wait and shop, there are some good deals out there - good luck.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your thinking warranty then you might want to think of Tesoro. (Lifetime warranty says a lot) Kellyco didn't carry them so I knew nothing about them when I bought my unit.

I'm wanting to get a 2nd unit for backup for the water. Been reading and checking out the Tiger Shark. Talked to a dealer on ebay that sells them new with the warranty. ($599 with free shipping).

Sandman speaks highly of Tesoro and the Tirger Shark and that also says a lot as well ;D

Alchemy

Nov 30, 2006
Beautiful Burnett county, WI
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you’re going to look on eBay, wait until after XMas.

People are bidding too the extreme, to get their XMas gift for their loved one.

Also, some will get new ones and want to sell their used (and hopefully gently used) ones.

There will be bargains to be had after XMas and before spring (fewer people looking or getting into it in winter)

I bought mine used, but the seller said "only used a couple of times" and I believed him and sure nuff, when it arrived it was like bran new in the box!

Mind you it was a cheap one for me to start out with (but I'm loving it!)

This is all just my wee 2 cents worth! ;)

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Alchemy said:
If you’re going to look on eBay, wait until after XMas.

People are bidding too the extreme, to get their XMas gift for their loved one.

Also, some will get new ones and want to sell their used (and hopefully gently used) ones.

There will be bargains to be had after XMas and before spring (fewer people looking or getting into it in winter)

I bought mine used, but the seller said "only used a couple of times" and I believed him and sure nuff, when it arrived it was like bran new in the box!

Mind you it was a cheap one for me to start out with (but I'm loving it!)

This is all just my wee 2 cents worth! ;)

Good points! With winter close at hand, you might possibly wait just a hair longer. There might even be a possibility of finding a dealer with some good deals on floor models- never or just barely used in the field but still under full warranty, they sometimes let them go at a fair discount.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Lots of good advice. I too recommend waiting until next year for after X-mas/winter bargains. Also as you live in New Jersey- well your detecting days are over for this year. Also some new models may be introduced before Spring. Who know what new "Wonder" detector may be introduced? Odds are an EBay purchase will be OK as most sales end up with both parties satisfied. Outright scams on EBay usually involve high end Minelab PIs. Neverless I only buy used detectors from dealers. Slightly higher but if I have problems with it I know the dealer will take care of it. You may not know you have a problem until long after the sale. In the past some folks have "tweaked" their detectors and the poorly performing result was dumped on E-Bay. Weeks or months later the new buyer finally figures out the unit is no working up to par. The culprit may not be the last seller. So I have a conservative approach which means that I miss out on some great bargains on EBay.

My 2 cents
George

Alchemy

Nov 30, 2006
Beautiful Burnett county, WI
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bakergeol said:
Neverless I only buy used detectors from dealers. Slightly higher but if I have problems with it I know the dealer will take care of it. You may not know you have a problem until long after the sale.

Oh yes, I do agree...forgot all about dealers...lol duh to me!
I've been doing eBay so long I forgot that actual dealers are out there!

Yes, I think you're right. Some dealers will most likely have year end sales or be wanting to make room for their "new and improved models" to come in...

So, by all means check with them first...but as I said, after XMas. Everyone knows alot of people will pay whatever it takes to get the "gift" they want now.

eBay has always been good for me, but yeah I have seen some friends taken...and I always have to walk them through how to make things right for them again.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still kinda like the idea of being able to send in a 5 or 6 year old unit that is dead and it still be under a full lifetime warranty. If it can't be fixed its replaced with a brand new one. ;D

I do like, and I do buy off of EBay. I picked up a nice 3 MM Oceanic Vantage Farmer John wetsuit including a longsleeve shortie jacket for $45 shipping included. There was not one single snag any where on it, looks like it just came from the store. There is no doubt that there are great buys on EBay.

I had 1 bad buy, lost $10 on a DVD that never arrived and dealer would never respond, that is out of total of 85 buys by me.

fetz

Nov 27, 2004
lebanon,pa
Detector(s) used
ace 250/Tesoro Cortes/ Whites Bullseye pinpointer
i would and have bought used but it would have to be by a reputable dealer and theres few of them in some places
the best guy i know of is donald hinkle at gettysburg electronics would and have bought used from him a real class act

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
If you are looking to buy something used you want to buy a high quality brand and a top-line model. This will decrease your chances that something will break,even if something does go bad the company will still repair it for you and most likely for less than the money you saved by buying used. If you are looking at a lower model detector it might not be worth it to buy used because it may well cost you more than you originally saved to repair the item. I have done over 1400 transactions on Ebay over the last 7 years or so. I bought my detector used off Ebay but I researched them heavy. The first thing I did after I knew which detector I wanted for sure was to do a search for the item and watch all the ones listed for a week. In addition you can search by completed listings of your item and see what they have been going for. Above all else I research the seller even calling many of them just to hear a voice. You can learn a lot of what you need to know by talking to a person if they are an honest seller it should show in their feedback and will certainly tell in their voice. Another benefit to buying used is if you dont want/need/like it anymore you can sell it for about what you have in it(less shipping),or if you are good at it you can sell it for more than you paid for it....Shoot

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
I have purchased two minelab detectors, one whites and one Fisher detector all used and from total strangers. Two I got off ebay. Two others I got off the findmall forum site. The DFX I have been using for 4 years. All the other ones - no problems. I would recommend getting a decent Exp II(make sure you see a good picture or two). Like you say - should be able to get for $800 or less. Ebay is a good place but might pay a little bit more. Now actually is a good time to buy - more listings now than after Christmas.

Mirage

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread