How good is wood at holding water?

wreckwriter

Oct 13, 2012
Putnam County, WV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Untreated wood will soak up the water and swell. Could you varnish or otherwise treat it? How about large pvc pipe cut in half?

OP
OP
K

kitt

Sep 1, 2012
Brookings Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure where id get a pipe that big. around where I live materials are scarce.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
use a canoe

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
Use wood and use woodworkers epoxy or a marine grade poly in the joints. Paint it and it will hold water for a long time.

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
what are you trying to do w/it? Watch any old western & you'll see horse water troughs. Ya know, the thing cowboys always hide behind in the shootouts? They are about the size you are talking about. Those are just boards nailed together w/ pitch or tar to seal the joints. The wood swells after soaking. I've also seen smaller versions used for hogs made from cutting hot water tank in half. Seen them for cattle made from old claw foot bath tubs.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what's your idea?
what are you doing?
a little more info, and you will get some great ideas.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The common whiskey barrel had nothing but the wood held tightly together by the bands. Will hold the contents for many years. Wooden barrels also used for many other liquids.:icon_thumleft:

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boats are made of wood. If they can keep water out seems like they could keep water in. Not suggesting you use a boat, just pointing out that wood has been used for that purpose for ages.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Wood boats are caulked with oakum and than placed in the water. They swell and seal up. There is also a DAP product that will seal them, or you could use that spray rubber sold on TV. Frank

Attachments

• 160.JPG
    160.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 110

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
The common whiskey barrel had nothing but the wood held tightly together by the bands. Will hold the contents for many years. Wooden barrels also used for many other liquids.:icon_thumleft:
hmm, I think I need of cask of whiskey to see if it leaks. research only of course.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Oak and I think beach are used for barrels. Old pails too. As time passes construction materials change. Frankn mentioned oakum and I realized many people haven't heard of oakum. Oakum looks a lot like rope and another use was plumbers used oakum for caulking joints to be poured with molten lead. Not done much these days. Came in brown and white. Not sure I never knew the difference between them other than there was.
Today it seems silicon caulk is the "do anything" choice in construction except if paint is needed. Then you need a mix.

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"If" this is something you think you will want to maintain (keep around), use 1/4" plywood and simply fiberglass it. It can be a bit messy but it's fairly easy. In your case, just build the box with 2 x 2 external framing and then all you have to do is to fiberglass the inner shell. :icon_thumright:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bigscoop is right. If you fiberglass it, inside and out, it will last a hundred years. Or until you die, whichever come first. You can then get buried in it. Just saying..... TTC

Calvin.Coin

Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern America
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your intended application is vague, however digging the proper-sized hole and lining with rubber-sheet/tarp/visquine might work. It doesn't sound like you intend for it to be permanent, just to hold water for however long your test lasts...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread