Old College Campuses

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Property Accessors office can tell you who owns it. May have a contact # on door or front gate etc. Often times your local PD will have a contact # on file they may give you if you know any of the dispatchers etc. Know of one about 20 miles from me here in TN. A buddy has permission for us to hunt it just waiting on him. Really excited about it. Started in 1820's and ran until the Civil war. Abandoned since CW with only the remains of one building still standing. May be beat to death who knows......... Hope ya get in. Best of luck.:icon_thumleft:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Has anyone ever had any luck getting permission to detect on old college campuses? If so, how did you go about it?

Well if they're public college campuses, and the grounds are not closed to the public, then I have usually just gone out there. I mean, are you talking the type grounds (athletic fields, etc....) that anyone can just go out there and jog the track, use the PT course after hours, and so forth? (ie.; not fenced, and a public college), then I do not consider those places you need permission for (anymore so than the person who's gone there to jog the track, for instance).

But if it's a private college, then no, you'd need permission.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Better than the colleges themselves are the Frat and serority houses near campus. LOTS of parties means lots of shenanigans and loss of pocket change lost. TTC

OP
OP
bethisa2j

bethisa2j

Sep 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input everyone...really appreciated!!! I have a few in mind and one wishful thinking one!!!

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
I'd talk to the dean of the school or whatever the head honcho is called and ask for permission and maybe a letter saying you have permission to show those campus police. I have a old university here but haven't had the guts to go ask permission

manuelhardin

Apr 28, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think that is possible. At least I can't imagine detecting to be allowed on my college campus as we couldn't even fly a drone over the campus. On the other hand the buildings are not old enough for us to find something really interesting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions