Just found some cool features using Google Earth!

detector de metales

Oct 12, 2006
Madison, Wisconsin
Did you guys know you can put overlays (maps) ontop of Google earth? I just found this out today and thought I would share it. I placed an older ( 1906 digitally scanned) map of Madison Wisconsin ontop of the current map! This means I can see exactly where the train depots were, the older factories, steamship landing etc! Now that winter has set in here I think its gonna be a long wait to see what results I get from my finds! But hey.. thats what winter is for right? Cleaning the relics and coins and doing your "homework" researching!
Happy Hunting!

J.J.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Down here winter means wearing a 50/50 Teeshirt rather then a 100% cotton, and switching from flip flops to tennis shoes. ;D

Thanks for the tip on google earth, I will have to give it a try.

OP
OP
detector de metales

detector de metales

Oct 12, 2006
Madison, Wisconsin
treasure_hunter said:
Down here winter means wearing a 50/50 Teeshirt rather then a 100% cotton, and switching from flip flops to tennis shoes. ;D

Thanks for the tip on google earth, I will have to give it a try.

Yeah Yeah rub it in! its ok I can take it! LOL

Happy Hunting!

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
How did you do it ? Does the free version of GE allow you to do that and how do you make a scanned map transparent to overlay ?

OP
OP
detector de metales

detector de metales

Oct 12, 2006
Madison, Wisconsin
Gribnitz said:
How did you do it ? Does the free version of GE allow you to do that and how do you make a scanned map transparent to overlay ?

The Free Version allows you to overlay any map ( that fits) for example I have a older map of Madison, overlayed ontop of the current GE data. In the properties of that layer you can adjust the transparency of the map. I used a map that the historical society had scanned.
J.J.

Trescher

Jul 29, 2006
San Antonio Texas
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500, ACE 250
I use my GE Pro frequently with several overlays. I have a a few Sanborns Firemaps from 1911 and some highway maps from the 1940s and 1960s. I also made some overlays from our County tax appraisal web site to show current property lines. Add in a topography map from terra server and I'm all set for research.

By zooming in and adjusting the transparencies of the layers I can see houses come and go over time.

I also look to see where parks and schools have been built over or around old buildings, as they are both huntable without permission.

G'luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread