The first Goldrush..... not in California.

Plotus

Greenie
Oct 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many people might not know, but the first Gold Rush was in the East, and much of it in North Carolina, and not far from where I live. My place is in the rural part of Anson county here in North Carolina, a farm of 27 acres with quite a bit of history in the surrounding area. Specifically, In an area called 'Cason Old Field'.

From "History of Anson County North Carolina 1750-1976" ......by Mary L. Medley, last printing 2003

"This stream is found in the Cason Old Field area in the south end of the county".

For those unfamiliar, the area I'm speaking is commonly referred to as the Piedmont Sand Hills, and while the larger Mines were about 35-40 miles northeast from here on Highway 52, there was a considerable amount found in this area. There a couple creeks in the area, a 'Jones Creek', Gold Creek and Deep Creek. This would encompass a good deal of the waterways involved. Cedar Creek is another, and to my knowledge, would likely be the most profitable area to pan as it runs into the PeeDee river about 8-10 miles east of here.

Another point of interest would be that 'Cheraw South Carolina' is about 20 miles east southeast from here, quite a bit of Civil War history known to have occurred there.
However, back to gold, this strip west of Me, traveling through My property and heading east of here is known to be prime area for hobbyists interested in panning or small dredging/PVC suction dredging. Though anyone very seldom is active in prospecting or panning, I have met one guy just up the road from Me who is also fascinated with panning in this area. I have a seasonal creek that runs through my property, which I have panned, and seem to have found a source of Flour gold in the amount of about 40 grams. This was panned over a time frame of a couple weeks time. I havn't panned much this year as the creek as I stated is seasonal, but it's coming up on the time when the flow is at its optimum again and I believe that I will get together with my neighbor and try here some more. Further down from Me, the adjacent property south of here is the continuation of My creek, which is actually spring fed from its headwater location on My ground. These other creeks are all within probably a 5 mile radius, though as I had mentioned, Cedar Creek, which flows into the PeeDee river travels for some distance further than 5 miles. Curiously enough, I also posted here on 'TreasureNet' in the 'Dowsing' section, hoping to possibly have a member take the time to give the map pics. I attached a go-round , in the Hopes of something present here on the property. I just have that feeling, an object of great interest or possibly value or antiquity lay unseen here.

http://books.google.com/books?id=ZY...&sa=X&ei=C7WGUIidFYK09QSUuYEw&ved=0CB8Q6AEwAA

Bits and pieces, wills and stories only the locals know

Carolina Observer
Fayetteville, N.C.
Found at North Carolina State Archives

12 Jun 1823

Gold Mine In the county of Anson, N. C. two miles from Rocky river, and about thirty five miles from this place, there has been recently discovered an extensive Gold Mine; in excavating which, twelve workmen are now employed with very considerable success. We have conversed with a gentleman who a few days since visited this mine; from him we learn the ore is exceedingly pure, and sells readily in its crude state, at 91 cents the penny-weight. While he was present, one piece was dug up weighing forty ounces, equal to $340 40 cts. One other piece had previously been found weighing twenty-two ounces, equal to $728. Gold is not found deeper than than three and a half feet below the surface. There is a small creek running directly through this mine, the bottom of which is covered with millions of small particles of gold glittering through the running stream, presents a very interesting and beautiful appearance.

And the search goes on..........

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread