Good decision or not...

Island girl

Tenderfoot
Jul 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been reading the forum for several months and researching metal detecting. I have really enjoyed seeing all of your amazing finds and reading your stories.
I have researched types of detectors and am about to buy a Tesoro Cibola. Is this good for a beginner? I want something light and easy to use. I won't be using it around water much and I think I can get a coil for it to be used for water areas in the future if I need it.
I would really appreciate any input from the vast experience here. Thanks so much for this great site.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello and welcome.

you will love the detector, cibola is a good detector.1. make a test garden, penny, dime, nickel, quarter, halve dollar, pull tabs, of all types. put them in the ground and listen to there sound that they make. 2. hope you have a pin pointer there a life saver when it come to finding stuff in the dirt.3.you tube is a good help,4. you need digging tools too.and remember to fill in your holes. have a great time because your in for it.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the Net, Island Girl. The Cibola will do just fine. Stick with it, though. Give it 100 hours. After 100 hours, you should be "trained" enough to be able to decide if the Cibola is all you need or an upgrade is needed. You may have also narrowed your MD ambitions by then also. There are many specialized detectors to pick from when you get to that point. Just remember, don't give up. Keep at it. Take care. TTC

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure you will hear the Ford vs. Chevy type arguments from many on here. Lots of knowledgeable hunters with lots of varied opinions. I don't think Tesoro makes a bad detector. I am currently hunting with another brand but the Tesoro's just seem like the Energizer Bunny of detectors. Lifetime warranty doesn't hurt either. Hope you enjoy it and start posting your finds soon.:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
I

Island girl

Tenderfoot
Jul 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks liftloop for your insightful response. The test garden idea is great. I have chosen a Garrett pro pin pointer and a Lesche digger and sod cutter. I have really learned a lot from the videos posted here and u-tube and fortunately have seen how to neatly remove a plug of sod, dig and plug it back when finished. I am planning to practice on my own property, as I am sure I'll need it! The posts on this sight have given me a lot of info, and even the proper protocol info. Thanks again for your response.

OP
OP
I

Island girl

Tenderfoot
Jul 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks TerryC for the welcome. I'll keep you posted.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks TerryC for the welcome. I'll keep you posted.
Good. I don't have a test garden but this is what I've done. I have several "test strips". One has gold. one iron. One aluminum, etc. Each is encased in a strip of plastic lamination. That way, I can bury each strip to an EXACT depth. After testing, I simply pull the strip out of the ground.... no re-digging involved. I can also bury a target THEN bury a mask above it.... lots of possibilities. Keep tuned to this net for other tips from the guys and gals. Some, like myself, are VERY dedicated to this hobby. Take care. TTC

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had a Tesoro Lobo for 12 years, knocked it around, baked it in hot vehicles, been caught in rain storms, and it still works great.

Life time warranty, made in the USA, Tesoro is a good brand.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread