Hurricane Sandy anyone?

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spartacus53 said:
There is a very good chance that you'll find a nice gold bracelet at Sea Side... :icon_thumright:

The only problem is that it's still attached to Snookie when I buried her :laughing7:

Hey buddy,
I thought you said you would be out there today?
I didn't see ya out there this morning. Lol

If I did find a bracelet attached to a hand with some kind of animal print clothing I'm sure it would be a cheap fake one. Lol

Here's some pictures of the beach this morning:
There isn't much beach right now and it was low tide!
They are filling in the public access points with a bull dozer to hold the water back.
I took a hot 7 cents off the beach.

image-802234709.png

image-2502009285.png

image-2891649204.png

image-491670467.png

image-3454531025.png

image-3281699619.png

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

Last edited:

deepsky48

Greenie
Sep 13, 2011
Columbia, SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and AT Pro
I'm leaving SC monday night to arrive in the DELMARVA Tues. morning...assuming the Bay Bridge Tunnel is not closed.
I detected Coin Beach in 1994 after a NE'ster and found 27 Hibernias and Cartwheels (Irish and English halfpennies). The difference in then and what is usually found now is that those were superbly protected from corrosion and had high relief with perfect dates...1776 to 1783. I found them on columns of sand about 2 inches high. They apparently were on the high beach down about 2 feet and centuries of rain and occasional higher tides caused some corrosion that allowed the copper ions to saturate the sand and "cementing" the coins. When that NE'ster washed away the sand on the upper beach, it left these little columns...that only required eyesight to find!!! I found little else with my detector...THEN as I was leaving I meet a fellow that apparently ran the Museum in that locality and he had found a Gold Guinea earlier that day near the Lifesaving station.
Man this is what I have waited for for 19 years. I will hopefully hit Coin Beach, then on the return trip: Ocean City, Md. some NC beaches including my hometown of Morehead City, Wrightsville beach, Myrtle Beach, SC and Isle of Palms.
AIN'T RETIREMENT GREAT!!! Good Luck to all that attempt this madness! I'll be on the beach with my Infinium

Last edited:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey buddy,
I thought you said you would be out there today?
I didn't see ya out there this morning. Lol

You know some people do work for a living :tongue3:

Besides, I did say I will be out there during the storm. The NJ State of Emergency is for other people, not me :laughing7:

deepsky48

Greenie
Sep 13, 2011
Columbia, SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and AT Pro
As for being "out there in the storm" - in 1984 during the Thanksgiving day storm, I was at Vero Beach (Turtle Beach access), the wind was sustained 59 mph, high tide, and currents going parallel to beach about 10 mph and you saw docks, boats, palm trees going by at a clip. Guys were in the water getting smacked by waves and debris and I JUST WAITED AT THE TOP OF A 4 FT. BERM FOR THE TIDE TO RECEDE. Then about 4 hrs later that 4 ft berm was 6 foot and I stepped off and started searching with my whites PI1000. I found my first coin...a 1/2 reale in exc. cond. then my detector's coil leaked and that was that. When the tide was way out there but the wind was still blowing strong, I saw a fellow with a XL500 pulse, dig a target in ankle deep water...a spanish shipswright plier. He went back over the hole and found a perfect 8 escudo coin. He actually let me hold it. I gave it back and suddenly a guy behind us said "a fellow could get robbed for that" and this guy had a MACHETE in his hand. We split from him quick. Cannons, deadeyes, and other ship wreck artefacts were strewn all over the place. People had pockets buldging with stuff and I was SOL. Then I spied some heavy concretions at the base of the berm and I took home an 80 lb one. I soaked it in muriatic acid for 3 days and out came an iron band, some south american cedar, 270 ship spikes and a handful of mixed reales and 2 - 4 escudo gold coins. I quickly went to Kellyco and bought an XL500 pulse and went back during the next month to find more.
NOTE: the beach berm at Vero was 4 ft. high at the start, and 3 day's later it was 10-12 ft high SO, the 1715 beach had been exposed. LOTS of gold, silver and artefacts were found and then the sand came back within 2 weeks. That is why it is hard to find anything these last 2 decades in Fl. For the next 3 months more escudos were found BUT, most all gold coins were found below low tide mark . HOPE this storm uncovers decades of lost jewelry etc.

Faber est suae quisque fortunae

Last edited:

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I so, so, so, so wish I could come and join the fun. The most fun I'm going to have out of this is watching Reporters on the Beach and hoping they get beaned in the head with a piece of debris. No I don't want to see them get hurt, but if you are dumb enough to say "get out, don't be out in this storm" and you are standing in the middle of the rain and wind and debris flying around...then you should get beaned with a lost paperback book.

Yeah, I also saw the detectorist being interviewed on the Weather Channel.

I hope all of you that get to detect pre/post storm comes home with a ton of goodies.

JT_hunter

Oct 28, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 di Pro - Fisher CZ5 - Garrett AT pro - Whites M6 - Garrett Sea Hunter MK ll - Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep I will be on beaches as soon as possible after this storm. I'll have to travel 75 miles but I think it's worth it. Since there is no better time to hunt a beach, then after a major storm. I'm looking at Belmar, Pt. pleasant beach, Spring lake nj and maybe Ortley beach.

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, I'm so jealous for all of who are able to detect beaches during this storm. If I had any vacation time left I would be heading out into it myself. I bet small fortunes will be found from this Frankenstorm. Best of luck to all of you who are able to get out.

jffbrk

Aug 26, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Went to Sebastian / Vero beaches Sat. But only found modern coins 10- 14 inches, and many can bottoms at 18 inches. Other hunters had the same story. Waves 6-20 ft near the museum.

Dick Stout

Mar 23, 2006
Southwest
Detector(s) used
MXT, V3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are very eager to get out on the beaches after this storm. Keep in mind the severity of it, and be safe. Likewise maybe give a little thought to those who could use your help afterward. How many gold rings are worth a life? From what I a hear and read this storm is not the norm. JMO.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread