So Im here studying google earth in my area....

blackrose

Oct 12, 2012
Detector(s) used
tesoro compadre
So I'm here studying google earth in my area....

...and i'm telling you, NOTHING was here 60 years ago. NOT A DAMN THING!

Orange county was just a bunch of orange groves until the 1970's. There's VERY LITTLE in as far as areas to detect that may have had a lot of foot traffic back in the day.

The area around the city of orange maybe a few square miles is where people lived, everything outside that was nothing but crops. And all of it is paved over anyway.

Am I the only one who's having this problem?

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like you have 2 choices. You can either relocate, or look to other areas to hunt

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, your problem is a lot more common than you might think. The massive urban expansions after WW2 and the suburban sprawl that followed happened all over the country, and it's still happening. So much is paved over now that it's hard to find any trace of what was once there. You'll just have to expand your search area and try to find places that haven't been lost to progress.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at the bright side.

There was, due to a lack of decent transportation, habitation every so often, whether a post office, business office and pay post, or worker huts. A lot fewer of them.

So, once you find those few places, your search is really concentrated in a small area. That's good for you.

OP
OP
B

blackrose

Oct 12, 2012
Detector(s) used
tesoro compadre
Bum Luck said:
Look at the bright side.

There was, due to a lack of decent transportation, habitation every so often, whether a post office, business office and pay post, or worker huts. A lot fewer of them.

So, once you find those few places, your search is really concentrated in a small area. That's good for you.

It's very hard to see detail in those old Ariel photographs, and the topos dont have much details themselves

jcCALIF

Jun 13, 2012
Yorba Linda
Detector(s) used
TDI PRO, VX3, Surfmaster PI PRO, TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look in the hills in the SILVERADO CYN area, east of IRVINE lake on BlackStar CYn Rd. From what I can see it looks like a string of decrepit structures lying in the hills. Looks very interesting but I would not go alone. All kinds of strange stories about that area.

OP
OP
B

blackrose

Oct 12, 2012
Detector(s) used
tesoro compadre
jcCALIF said:
Look in the hills in the SILVERADO CYN area, east of IRVINE lake on BlackStar CYn Rd. From what I can see it looks like a string of decrepit structures lying in the hills. Looks very interesting but I would not go alone. All kinds of strange stories about that area.

Black star is good for a fun bikeride, but that's about it. The rumors of that area are Just that; rumors.

But it would be a nice place to detect. The specific area you are referring to is "beeks place " which is a ghost town abandoned some time in the 30s

jcCALIF

Jun 13, 2012
Yorba Linda
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The specific area you are referring to is "beeks place " which is a ghost town abandoned some time in the 30s

A ghost town, abandoned in the 30's!?? What are we waiting for! Let me know if you are game.

OP
OP
B

blackrose

Oct 12, 2012
Detector(s) used
tesoro compadre
jcCALIF said:
A ghost town, abandoned in the 30's!?? What are we waiting for! Let me know if you are game.

Haha, well I know what I'm waitin for....my MD to come in the mail! !

Are you local? Im in the city of orange if you are down to meet up

jcCALIF

Jun 13, 2012
Yorba Linda
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Yorba Linda, my office is in Orange. What type of MD are you waiting for?

OP
OP
B

blackrose

Oct 12, 2012
Detector(s) used
tesoro compadre
jcCALIF said:
I live in Yorba Linda, my office is in Orange. What type of MD are you waiting for?

A tesoro compadre. It will be my first ever. The spot in black star is far, its about 8 miles past the junction. There is plenty between there and the entrance that we could, explore, too....if we dare!

OP
OP
B

blackrose

Oct 12, 2012
Detector(s) used
tesoro compadre

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, Blackrose. In less than 24 hours, you got latched up with someone who will go out and detect with you.... no more problem. I suspect you are new to metal detecting. Welcome to the Net. Instead of calling Orange, CA a problem, let's call it..... a challenge! Take care. TTC

OP
OP
B

blackrose

Oct 12, 2012
Detector(s) used
tesoro compadre
TerryC said:
Ok, Blackrose. In less than 24 hours, you got latched up with someone who will go out and detect with you.... no more problem. I suspect you are new to metal detecting. Welcome to the Net. Instead of calling Orange, CA a problem, let's call it..... a challenge! Take care. TTC

Haha, well you correct sir, I am new, in fact even that Is a generous statement. I have yet to receive my first detector.

I'm not sure if many others are facing the same obstacles but it sounds like it.

Thanks for commenting!

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha, well you correct sir, I am new, in fact even that Is a generous statement. I have yet to receive my first detector.

I'm not sure if many others are facing the same obstacles but it sounds like it.

Thanks for commenting!

I hope you have a great time!

ragu

Dec 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
It's true that there may not have been much for structures and what not back then, BUT think of the ARMY of people it took to harvest everything back in the day. Migrant workers and what not that went farm to farm picking fruit, they must of had money in their pockets and I'm sure some spilled out over the years.

OP
OP
B

blackrose

Oct 12, 2012
Detector(s) used
tesoro compadre
ForumRunner_20121027_183349.png

Just got back from the park. A couple pennies and a 1940 nickel.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread