Time for new detector

Jarrod

Oct 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been a reader on the website lately and just registered. I've been metal detecting for 15 or so years, started with a Whites 4900, then to a Eagle Spectrum. Kind of got out of it for few years and back into it more than ever this year, finding some nice relics and old silver coins any chance I get.
My current detector is a Whites 5500 D series 3 black box.
Since I'm getting more serious about hunting more efficiently, I just ordered a Lesche and I'm considering a Garrett Pro pointer since I have no pin pointer now. My 5500 works fine, but gets heavy. I'd like to start 2013 with a new machine.
I'm pretty sure I want to stick with Whites. I was set on an older 6000 Pro XL ( small box with analog controls ) but they're so hard to find. If they work as well as new machines, I still might try to find one.. So basically, I wanted to ask for opinions on the 3 I've narrowed it down to. Thanks! :icon_thumleft:

1- Pro XL 6000
2- Spectrum XLT
3- DFX

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Of the three of those I'd pick the DFX without a doubt. Use the stock programs until you feel comfortable with it. Then start modifying the stock programs. That machine is very adjustable to fit any hunting situation. Also a very good coil selection is available. If you can afford a new DFX then go with a VX3 for the same money and get the three frequency machine with the new display!

OP
OP
J

Jarrod

Oct 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks...
I've probably ruled against the older 6000 at this point and the Spectrum XLT.. I actually watched some videos on the MXT and am liking it so far. I like the analog knobs and toggle to choose the 3 detecting modes. It's a 2 tone machine and can give a tone specific to all iron targets, or a high tone for anything above your chosen discrimination level.

I'll be comparing the MXT, DFX. The VX3 seems overkill. I like technology, but there's a balance somewhere in detecting. Those old machines did well, were versatile and went deep. I just want a more efficient machine. I'm not into ignoring what's in the ground, I like to know each signal because even junk can tell you where the coins might be.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Jarrod, For the last 10+ years I have been using an XLT. I usually just set it to the coins and jewelry program. I get a nice signal on the good targets and a slight blip on the bad targets. all are indicated on the display. It is easy to use and the latest versions, like mine, had the smaller control box. You can pick one up for $300+. You really only need the 9.5" coil that comes with it. If you like to play with the controls, you can adjust almost anything or you can just turn it on, select the program and go. Check out the XLT forum at Whites. Frank

Attachments

• hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 156

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are looking at VERY dated technology. All were top of the line detectors in thier day, but you can find much better machines. Don't be afraid to look outside of the White's brand. Lots of other great manufacturers out there.

Rossiter25

Jul 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a mxt Its nice but just go get the v3 then you know you can't get a better one.

OP
OP
J

Jarrod

Oct 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used a Spectrum XLT and I owned the Eagle Spectrum for a couple years... Both worked great. I just think some of these features that have coe about more recently would be great to use, like dual tone, switchable frequency, auto track.. etc.
I'll be checking out the VX3 a bit, but so far it's looking like the MXT is exactly what I'd like. I really like the idea of having some knobs, to be able to instantly make adjustments without pulling up menus.
A good used Spectrum is an option, but for not much more I'd probably choose MXT or DFX which seems to me like an updated more advanced Spectrum ( Dual Frequency Spectrum )
I have looked outside of Whites a little bit, I think the company is great and don't feel they're behind others at all. I know Minelab is pretty advanced as well, but seems to get compared a lot to the Vx3 line in performance.
I checked out Fisher and Garrett too, I ordered a Garrett Pro pointer, since I currently don't have any pinpointer! Can't wait to use that, should make things easier and save some time.
None of their machines attracted me very much so it'll be Whites whatever I choose hahaha..

Most of my detecting is wooded parks, trails, reserves, fields, old farms, cellar holes and freshwater beaches. I rarely get to the ocean, but should go more often and will with a new machine. My 5500 is great, but I pretty much dig everything I hear with it.

bobcat

Aug 18, 2012
nebraska
Detector(s) used
whites - eagle 2 sl, eagle spectrum, xlt, dfx, V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my whites v3i. I would suggest you get one. Especially if you are getting serious about metal detecting again. Probably more expensive but you will find more treasure. I have a DFX too but I know I can get deeper and better with the V3i. Miley likes it too!

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you like knobs and dials make sure you look at the MXT Pro with the 950 coil. I still like the 2 frequency machine like the DFX better.

K

Kentucky Kache

The White's Classic is a pretty good machine. And It has knob controls.

absosecur

Oct 26, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
I love my spectrum xlt. I can run it in mixed mode audio but do not. I can also run it with the pre amp gain wide open and it not be unstable which gives me incredible depth on anything while discriminating at the same time. It has taken me years to really learn how to tweek this machine but I have a custom program in it now that I will share with anyone. That makes me very confident that I will give any machine out there on the market a run for the money. My set up will give me loud tones and I will call friends over before I disturb the ground and the coin masters,di pros and others will not make a sound as if it's not even there.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread