Decent Metal Detector in $200 - $300 range.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im no expert, infact ive only been detecting for 2-3 weeks now... but I have found 2 silver rings, few bucks in change, a silver charm, and tons and tons of trash...

Ace 250, Its real easy to pickup and use... It also can go in water a few feet deep up to the computer part... Im not 100% sure about salt water though, as I live pretty far from the beach...

Also, after reading everybodies comments about the garrett pro-pointer, I also got one, and it makes your digs so much easier, and of course that means you can find more digs per hour... its about 130 bucks online, but man it speeds up your dig time by 200% atleast...

I got my gear from kellyco(online). I had seen the ace 250 for 215 shipped at a few online retailers, but this shop also included a whole bunch of gear to go with, it was pretty sweet, it came with a digger tool, pouches and stuff... They shipped fast too...

Just my 2 silver dimes... Good luck

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You go in salt water its a whole different ball game no $200-$300 detector going to work. In that price range get an ace 250 or low end Tesoro compadre, add $125 to your budget and look at the Tesoro Cibola....

That will get you a decent land detector, salt water is a whole different detector and a lot more money.

Last edited:

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Probably the big 5 in that price range are the Garrett Ace 150 or 250, Tesoro Compadre or Silver Micromax, White's Coinmaster, and Fisher F2. All are good machines with tons of followers. Personally I do most of my hunting with a Tesoro, with a Coinmaster as my back-up machine.

As stated above you won't be able to detect in salt water or on wet areas of a salt water beach. You will still be able to detect the dry sand areas of beach. Tesoro does have the advantage of a life-time warranty.

Kellyco Joe

Jul 30, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
E-Trac
Tesoro Tejon
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Decent metal Detector

Looking to get a good metal detector in the $200 to $300 range. It would be used for general detecting on mostly dry fields, river banks, and occasionally on the beach around the Texas gulf area.

Any comments and suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Scottie

Hi Scottie,

The soil mineralization in your area is moderate to high, you would be better off trying to save a few more bucks and go with either the Fisher F4 $399 or the Minelab 305 at the same price and get a machine that will be more effective.
These would be good especially in that salt water and salt water saturated sand.

We can beat or meet anybody's price.
Note that the Minelab comes with a full 5yrs warranty at the moment, not sure how long this option will last. We are also an authorized repair facility for Minelab detectors.
Kellyco:icon_thumleft:

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites' Pi Pro, Dual Field, and fisher labs' Cz21 , BH Land Star, BH 3300 ,Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I think the BH 3300 might work for you . Good luck!!

OP
OP
Hawgwild

Hawgwild

Oct 29, 2012
Shreveport, LA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Everyone....I really appreciate all the response and suggestions...I'll do a little more research on those suggestions and decide which way to go...Just didn't want to go with the expensive models until I'm sure this is something I'll do regularly..but probably will...:)

Thanks again,
Scottie

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something to keep in mind, a good used mid range or top end detector will hold it's value with little or no loss of value for years. If you buy one and decide you want to get out you lose close to nothing of what you paid used.

You buy low end and decide you like it you will want to upgrade soon, other way you want need to for years....

Just some info.....

Last edited:

absosecur

Oct 26, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Have a look at the prism line of machines by whites. I am a whirs fan. Been hunting since 1986. Any machine you decide on just be patient and get to know your machine. I'm sure all the pros on here will tell u the same. It took me about one yr to really learn my spectrum with all it's functions. The prisms are less complicated to use but I have compared them to the spectrum and it blew my mind that the prism would sound off on targets that were deep and faint even for my spectrum. No problem to dig coins,buttons etc at 8 plus inches. I see a lot of the guys on here talking bout pin pointers but I have never used one. The whites do an awesome job at pinpointing and has never been off on letting me know where to dig. HH.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like most things you get what you pay for and detectors are no exception. What you get for more money is just more features, not a lot more depth. What you need for your area is a detector like Kellyco Joe said, something with a ground balance. These $200 dollar MD's don't have this feature but you could still have a lot of fun with the entry level detectors. Treasure Hunter gave good advice about the saltwater detectors but any detector will work good in the dry sand. Just practice retrieving coins in your yard and when you can do that and be able to look back and not be able to tell you were there, your ready for other grassy places. Never use a shovel!!!

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This should help with the Ace250

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Look at youtube..and all the detectors you have an interest in, watch them on youtube and then try to decide. In my opionion I would get a fisher, minelabe 305 or garrett 250. Excellent starter machines and if you really like the hobby..you can always upgrade. good luck

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say from 2 friends that have one is the 250 Use our sponcers, but work them! You want detector w/headphones, garrett pin pointer and lesche-- package. Backpacks and hats are good, but I have no use.
Ray

I'll be driving back to new orleans from crystal digging in Mt. Ida Arkansas 11/6- 11/11 , with my At- pro about the 12th 0r 13th Nov, if you want to have coffee or lunch. I believe I'll be going through Shrevport. Pm and I'll give you my cell#.

OP
OP
Hawgwild

Hawgwild

Oct 29, 2012
Shreveport, LA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much for all the helpful info and suggestions...
@kayden - the video and others were extremely helpful...thanks a bunch..

Yep....I've just ordered the Garrett 250 and also decided to get a pinpointer also...

Now I got to wait....ha

Thanks to all,

Scottie

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great! Pinpointer you'll see is a must.
You'll have it prob for the weekend. Get out with it if you can. I'll be returning from Mt. Ida, thru there on the 12th or 13th. If you can get some time, let me know. We'll go hunt.
Ray
Only thing I know about your Shrevport, is what I've seen from the highway.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ACE 350 $300 and i found over 30 silver coins and a bunch of good coppers with it in 3 months

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread