Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Question about 2-box units, and size/type targets they'll get

Question for anyone who has had experience with 2-box units:

I know that those type detectors won't "see" an object any smaller than about a soda-can sized object, right? I mean, realistically anyhow. I know that if you held a silver dollar *just right* and flat-faced, in a staged test, you might be a peep. But realistically, in the actual field usage, it takes something at least baby-food sized jar (aka crushed can or whatever), or bigger.

Ok, so I've been commissioned to look for the following item: a fellow buried 12 gold coins, approx silver dollar sized (so like $20 gold pieces). He buried them 5 yrs. ago, and now can't remember exactly where he buried them. He recalls the following factors:

a) he put them from 1 to 1.5 ft. deep.

b) he had them in individual sleeves (like cardboard separators), and they are all on edge (like in "roll" fashion). And the entire package buried in a plastic holder/package.

c) So the resulting plastic container packaging would be approx can or fist sized containment. HOWEVER, since the coins aren't touching each other (he said they had cardboard or domino sized spacing between each coin), that therefore, the resulting mass is not "contiguous".

So my question is: We all know that objects touching each other, have a different reaction that objects separated from each other (ie.: not physically touching). Then ...... does this still count as a "can sized" signal? I realize we've all dug coin spills that ...... while the coins might not be physically "touching", yet given enough coins, that .... yes ... they create a bigger "signal", overall. I suppose I could experiment and make a mock roll of 12 silver dollars (or whatever) each with a spacer between them, as opposed to touching, and then just see which scenario creates the bigger/deeper signal, eh? But if someone here has input, let me know!

And yes: a signal that size (can sized) is attainable by a regular coin machine like the explorer. However, the problem we're running into, is this part of his property was landscaped at some time subsequent to his burying the coins. And as such, they used large quantities of iron shishkabob type iron skewers, bent in a horse-shoe shape, to hold down landscape fabric stuff. So iron abounds in the area. I know that if the conductive target beneath them is "big enough", it will simply over-power this masking effect. But so far, we have not succeeded with just using a regular machine. I only hear the iron.

So to experiment, I took my cell-phone (which is a hard cover clam-shell conductive type cell-phone) and put one of those shishkabob U-shaped skewer tent peg things over the top of it. If the iron is laid right on the phone, I still pick up the conductive beep no problem :) However, if I add a dirt clod (say, 4" width) between the phone and the iron (to mimick depth/separation), THEN the conductive target (the phone), no longer is able to "come through" the iron sound. Thus knowing that the gold here (can sized target) is deeper than the iron, I fear that the masking is not enabling us to find the coins.

Our next step is to take some manpower, and simply shovel off an entire zone, with shovels and wheelbarrels. The search area is about the size of a bedroom in square footage. So this won't take too terribly long. But at the same time, I'm wondering if a 2-box machine might not also help (and eliminate the need to shovel/scale off an entire area) to begin with. So let me know if you think the item I've described is big enough, knowing the coins aren't touching, to even register on a 2-box unit.

thanx!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Tom, you are running on the border line. That thing about the coins touching is an old "wives" tale. It's the actual mass of metal that counts. Think of it like radar. the detector sends out a signal and the metal reflects it back for the detector to pick up. Now the coins being on edge will limit there exposed area to a size very close to the minimum size for a 2 Box pickup. Here's the deal on the 2 Box. It uses the extreme spacing between the antenna to get depth. This same spacing makes it miss small targets. You left out the size of the search area. this should be a determining factor as to what to use. If you are talking about a yard size search area, I would go with a PI detector. I would go along with a PI and have followers to clean the targets. Look at it this way, you are looking for over $24K so what's a little time? Frank

Attachments

• hand print-2_edited-6.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-6.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 120

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No bigger than a bedroom? How many skewers could be there? I'm thinking go back to the basics...remove the trash to find the treasure hidden underneath..At best, coins on edge present a very difficult target..This will take a slow, calculated search...good luck

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
Wow, Tom, good job to have. I would start with the Compass 77B that you already have. That 100 KC Frequency might get you
through the iron, but I am sure you already tried that. I hope the landscapers didn't find them.. Back to your question. I have tried
the Gemini 3 from Fisher on a 15 inch diameter steel wheel and the farthest I could detect it in an air test was shoulder height and I
am 5 foot 8 inches tall. Don't know if it would pick up the coins strong enough compared to background hum. I think a loop type
with a discriminator meter would be my choice after the Compass 77B. Didn't it have an early discriminator?
Good luck, should be an unforgettable hunt.
Rich

GringoStarr

Aug 15, 2009
La Florida
Detector(s) used
Metrotech 220, Spartan 175, Metrotech 330, Garrett CXiii With Bloodhound Attachment. Garrett Hand Scanner, and others.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom, The two-box might not pick it up. I would clean the area of all the surface trash, grid the area, and go for it. The best detector for the job would be whatever you have with a 12"-14" coil. Use no discrimination. The spacing between the coins would not matter as metal detectors detect the surface area of the target. Use a VLF or a Pulse unit if you have one. Your idea to make a mock up of the target with silver dollars is a good one. :-)
Good luck!
The, "Gringo."

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hey everyone! (gringo, treasure-finder, CW-nut, and frankn), great advice so far! Thanx guys a lot. Yes I had thought about simply "strip-mining" the area to get all the surface iron out (those annoying shishkabob wire tent-peg like things that are littering the site). However, to be honest with you, rather than going in to all-metal, and doing such a thing, it might actually be FASTER to simply get a few guys with flat shovels, and a wheel-barrel, and simply scale off the top 6" of this entire area. By the time someone tried to dig up every last nail, this might actually be faster, doh! And then, yes, the size target he's saying, at 1 to 1.5 foot, should be attainable by a standard loop detector, with a large coil.

1.5 foot is "pushing it" for my 10" coil on my Explorer, so I may have to borrow a WOT coil.

And Rich, I briefly thought about pulling out a 77b for the task, but the problem with a 77b, is while it does GREAT at seeing through small iron like this, yet it's depth is limited, as you know. Also those are a bear to keep balanced over un-even ground, and don't fare well in minerals.

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
We are anxiously awaiting word.
I also would use one of my LRL's and dowsing, but most people don't hunt that way.
Rich

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
I've always heard silver conducts stronger than gold so the test pack of silver might give false hope. I would use the X2 to get
those pegs out first. The best you can hope for is a whisper signal on the top double eagle.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread