Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those who know me know I've been detecting for a very long time. I do have a fairly clear understanding of how mineralization works and plays into our hobby. That being said, I am a relative rookie with the AT-PRO. (6 months or so).

What I'm still having a little trouble completely understanding is the way the AT-PRO ground balances. I know that the numbers it balances at are transient at best. But, it doesn't seem to matter much in the areas where I usually hunt. (Unfortunately, a rather small circle.) I've noticed that no matter what mode or combinations I use, the ground in my area tends to balance somewhere between 85-92.

First of all, I'd like to ask any who are familiar with the AT-PRO, is that a "normal" range? Would that be considered very high? I am still able to make finds but most of everything I find are only down to about 5 inches. I know I'm still getting used to the way this detector works. It is vastly different from the old Groundhog. :)

I've done a lot of experimenting with the settings on my test garden. Which tunes in at about 92. I seem to not be able to pick up a silver quarter over 5 inches when I test. Air test seems fine, just when in the ground I have problems. I sometimes think that maybe this thing's balancing circuit is off a bit. 85-90 , always?!?!

When I tune it manually, should I tune it down until there's just about no change and then tune up until I hear a bit of something? Or tune it to where I get no change then tune down until I get the low side? Or is the best just to leave it where there's no change?

Does the sensitivity being full on cause problems? I'm thinking that maybe I'm making a mistake in this habit too.

One other thing, I know that a slow sweep is probably best but, how slow is "slow". Is it creepy crawly slow or just a sort of normal slow pace?

Thanks ahead of time for any info that may help this old dog learn a few new tricks. :)

HH!

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some argue if sens is depth . I consider it so, but only hunt to within a foot down , so I keep mine down 2 or three notches. This area where I've hunted gb's in the upper 70's- low 80's. I thought that was high!
Swing is normal slow. My trouble is, I can't swing in over 4 or 5 inchs of brush.
HH,Ray

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some argue if sens is depth . I consider it so, but only hunt to within a foot down , so I keep mine down 2 or three notches. This area where I've hunted gb's in the upper 70's- low 80's. I thought that was high!
Swing is normal slow. My trouble is, I can't swing in over 4 or 5 inchs of brush.
HH,Ray

Yours GB's around 70's ?!?!? Wow! I guess my area is just highly mineralized. I'd like to hear from some of our friends in Pa. I figure that has to be pretty mineralized up there too. 90's just seems a bit extreme. I would have thought that would be a reading in the mountains! :)

With mine at full sensitivity, I only seem to get down to about 6 inches most times. I've been in a LOT of places in the last 6 months. But, silver coins just seem to really be stingy in coming. I know, a lot has been found, but I just can't accept that I'm not walking over SOME silver in all these places. Just plain doesn't figure.

Anyway, thanks for the response!

Anyone else? :dontknow:

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yours GB's around 70's ?!?!? Wow! I guess my area is just highly mineralized. I'd like to hear from some of our friends in Pa. I figure that has to be pretty mineralized up there too. 90's just seems a bit extreme. I would have thought that would be a reading in the mountains! :)

With mine at full sensitivity, I only seem to get down to about 6 inches most times. I've been in a LOT of places in the last 6 months. But, silver coins just seem to really be stingy in coming. I know, a lot has been found, but I just can't accept that I'm not walking over SOME silver in all these places. Just plain doesn't figure.

Anyway, thanks for the response!

Anyone else? :dontknow:

In my now 40 hours or so use, purchased 9/2011, I've only pulled 3 silver. First was a sterling small crusafix(not inscribed), a 1803 spanish 1/2 reale, and my latest last month, a 1919-1930 standing liberty quarter with date chopped up by mower or bushhog. All different outings, ringing up between 80-84, 8 inch or less. And a few .925 pieces. Silver is sweet!
It'll come at the right spots. At-pros really like quarters and dimes.
HH,Ray

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
most of the spots here in indiana comes in at 85-94 but i can take a 20 minute drive into michigan and hit 50-60 its weird the spot i found my nickle 3 cent and indians ground balanced in the upper 40's

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
most of the spots here in indiana comes in at 85-94 but i can take a 20 minute drive into michigan and hit 50-60 its weird the spot i found my nickle 3 cent and indians ground balanced in the upper 40's

Well, at the least, it doesn't appear that my machine isn't broke. :) I guess the 85-90 is just normal, for here. I'm not too upset though. I have been finding a LOT of good interesting finds. Some were fairly deep too. I was just worrying a bit that my new toy might not be working quite right. Thought I'd compare.

I'm still not sure about the GB though. I used to have a constant tone on the Groundhog and I would just tune it until I could just barely hear it so anything crossing the threshold would pipe up. This machine though is different. I'm unsure if I should tune it until the sound just disappears or if having either a slight high/low tone is best. Trying to learn where this machine does it's best.

I have found silver but it just seems to me that I'm missing a lot. Trying to figure out why.

Anyway, thanks!

I gotta go plant the next crop. ;)

HH!

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
85-90 is normal here for me in Pa.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHADAFIND....Im in the same boat as you, I think i sent you a PM not long ago about this same issue, I have been finding some really deep targets, but it seems like I have been missing some that arent deep, and my GB is always 70-75 here in North Texas, But i have noticed you have to go slow as hell or you will miss something..I got spoiled with the damn ACE 250, and would swing it wildy until i heard a "Beep" then would investagate, but this machine beeps nonstop, my MAJOR problem with this is the small flat pieces of steel that sound like great targets and i dig 3 inches down to find a screw top, i just wonder how many coins im missing by avoiding some of the iffy signals, i know its easy to say " Dig Everything" well id that were the case, i would only make it about 5 feet every few hours..lol

BaronH

Jul 15, 2008
Yep, same here in Washington. My AT Pro GB's 87-92, 90% of the time its either 90 or 91.

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AT Pro.... ProMode... 8 1/2x11" coil... all metal setting... Iron Audio=on ....is usually how I run mine...

in the Western PA soil I usually ground balance 81-85.... that's normal for me.... at the N.C. beaches, I GB 55-65....

Works great for me!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Those who know me know I've been detecting for a very long time. I do have a fairly clear understanding of how mineralization works and plays into our hobby. That being said, I am a relative rookie with the AT-PRO. (6 months or so).

What I'm still having a little trouble completely understanding is the way the AT-PRO ground balances. I know that the numbers it balances at are transient at best. But, it doesn't seem to matter much in the areas where I usually hunt. (Unfortunately, a rather small circle.) I've noticed that no matter what mode or combinations I use, the ground in my area tends to balance somewhere between 85-92.

First of all, I'd like to ask any who are familiar with the AT-PRO, is that a "normal" range? Would that be considered very high? I am still able to make finds but most of everything I find are only down to about 5 inches. I know I'm still getting used to the way this detector works. It is vastly different from the old Groundhog. :)

I've done a lot of experimenting with the settings on my test garden. Which tunes in at about 92. I seem to not be able to pick up a silver quarter over 5 inches when I test. Air test seems fine, just when in the ground I have problems. I sometimes think that maybe this thing's balancing circuit is off a bit. 85-90 , always?!?!

When I tune it manually, should I tune it down until there's just about no change and then tune up until I hear a bit of something? Or tune it to where I get no change then tune down until I get the low side? Or is the best just to leave it where there's no change?

Does the sensitivity being full on cause problems? I'm thinking that maybe I'm making a mistake in this habit too.

One other thing, I know that a slow sweep is probably best but, how slow is "slow". Is it creepy crawly slow or just a sort of normal slow pace?

Thanks ahead of time for any info that may help this old dog learn a few new tricks. :)

HH!

WHADAFIND, my knee jerk responses to your good questions.

1. Atpro gb numbers are not transient. No tector gb numbers are transient. Its the ground mineralization that is transient. Atpro does not have running gb adjust, it wont automatically track changes in ground mineralization. It is only a lower mid range machine. You gotta gb often if the ground is all wacky crazy changing in mineralization levels.
2. My gb is 88 to 91, which is mild, logically speaking because salt is zero and zero mineralization is a 99.
3. My atpro picks up silver dimes at eight inches plus some thick sod.
4. No creepy crawly slow needed on atpro. It handles normal tectin sweep speed and has good if not very good recovery speed.

Okay, here is how to gb the pro, the best way. Go into pro mode zero mode. Set sense at 4. Sweep the ground normally until you find a spot free of any metal within a two foot radius. Once you have found this spot do auto gb as follows. A. Press and hold gb button with coil on ground. B. Bob coil up ten/twelve inches up and back down to ground and up and down about four or five times. It will take to the gb like a duck to water.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread