Disposing of dug up unfired ammunition??

AUVnav

Mar 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow...first off..depending on the size of the cartridge and physical evidence, just leave it..if there are crystals, it means it has converted to nitro, which is shock sensitive.
If you have brought up something from underwater...keep it in fresh water..IF it starts hissing, that means a reaction has begun and an explosion is imminent.
(forget the WD-40 stuff..WD40 only displaces water, and then dries out, and you are back where you started...)

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow...first off..depending on the size of the cartridge and physical evidence, just leave it..if there are crystals, it means it has converted to nitro, which is shock sensitive.
If you have brought up something from underwater...keep it in fresh water..IF it starts hissing, that means a reaction has begun and an explosion is imminent.
(forget the WD-40 stuff..WD40 only displaces water, and then dries out, and you are back where you started...)

:icon_scratch: :laughing9: We are talking about small caliber cartridges, NOT dynamite! Geez some of the things people worry about.

OP
OP
G

generic username

Jul 7, 2008
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
ctx3030, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Dug up another one on Saturday here in the city. it had a split lengthwise down the brass casing.. set it in a shotglass filled with penetrating oil (pb blaster) till trash day (this Thursday)

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
For all the live ammo I dig I generally douse them in gasoline, put them in a barrel, and toss in a match. 4th of july comes early every year.. and so do the cops. :dontknow:

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jeeze oh petes guys. They actually have tools for this. Don't throw them in the drink, you can break down the bullet, remove the powder from the primer and toss the whole thing. If you are finding enough ammo that you are concerned, then buy one of these after you find enough clad to pay for it. Also, if you have a range near you, you can probably work out a deal to drop it off whole and let them break it down. The indoor range near me has a steel box for collecting non-firing rounds. Check out the vid below for the Kinetic Bullet Puller.

Plug

Jul 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just throw it in the trash, honestly. you found a few 30 caliber cartridges, not a ww2 500lb bomb

Last edited:

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
If not collectible, you may want to check with your Fire Dept (etc). My Fire Dept has a drop-off dumpster for dangerous items with no questions asked. If your Fire Dept (etc) has one, do your civic duty and give your dangerous stuff to the professionals. :)

Mainelypulltab

Aug 26, 2011
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal II
I'm not too smart but I reload and I was once an Infantry Weapons Officer in the Marine Corps. Talon has the right idea if you are detecting in an area where you know you are going to keep finding them. Get a few MD'erest to chip and spend the $20 or $30 for one of these tools. Cheap and efficient. Like someone said, when was the last time you heard a story about anyone getting hurt. That is true but I would not want it on my conscience if some child or manchild decided he was going to put the cartridge in a vise and give it whack. Some kid did that up here many years ago and he lost an eye and part of his fingers if I remember correctly. WD is something I have never heard of but it may work, have to do some research. Guessin I live in Mayberry RFD because the cops up here would take and dispose of it. They may ask where you found it but that would be about it. They may even know of some areas in the backwoods for you to hunt. Not tryin to offend anyone, just offerin my 2cents.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread